Not happy with Royal Caribbean's Special Needs Department!

10 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

To those who say "talk to the cabin attendant",  you KNOW you're going to find someone at guest services.  Sometimes the cabin attendant is off doing other things. 

true, BUT.. its easier to sit comfily in your cabin and press the little button for 'housekeeping' and request your items rather than spend  endless minutes in line at GS.  on the few occasions where we have had to do so( to include a 11pm call to have them put the bed BACK together  and a midnight call to have the overflowing toilet mopped up) they were  at our door in ten minutes.  

my view of it is this:  housekeeping/Cabin steward for all matters relating to the room itself and guest services for all matters regarding the public areas of the ship/money issues that can't be handled by the concierge.  

32 minutes ago, spookwife said:

true, BUT.. its easier to sit comfily in your cabin and press the little button for 'housekeeping' and request your items rather than spend  endless minutes in line at GS.  on the few occasions where we have had to do so( to include a 11pm call to have them put the bed BACK together  and a midnight call to have the overflowing toilet mopped up) they were  at our door in ten minutes.  

my view of it is this:  housekeeping/Cabin steward for all matters relating to the room itself and guest services for all matters regarding the public areas of the ship/money issues that can't be handled by the concierge.  

It depends on how bad the line is at GS and what else I'm doing.  If I can stop by GS on the way to or from some activity, I'd do that.  If I was just planning on hanging out in the room (waiting for room service or just relaxing), then yes, buzz the attendant.  Or if we happened to see them in the hallway. 

14 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don’t understand how this becomes the room stewards responsibility? I often read replies from  the same people who say to ask the room steward on this thread who also advise people to call the special needs department for extension cords on other threads. Which is it? Once on Princess I requested that the dead light bulb over the desk be replaced. He told me to call maintenance. I would have thought that it would be the room stewards job. I can’t believe that they would have extension cords and distilled water and not a light bulb.

Agreed.  Often on here, people ask ahead of time about special things they need (like the CPAP extension cord).  They want to do this ahead of time so that they don't have to deal with it on the ship.  They are often told to contact the special needs department.  Well, that's exactly what the OP did.  They even received confirmation that their needs would be met.  They weren't.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 6:28 PM, Iamcruzin said:

I don’t understand how this becomes the room stewards responsibility? I often read replies from  the same people who say to ask the room steward on this thread who also advise people to call the special needs department for extension cords on other threads. Which is it? Once on Princess I requested that the dead light bulb over the desk be replaced. He told me to call maintenance. I would have thought that it would be the room stewards job. I can’t believe that they would have extension cords and distilled water and not a light bulb.

Two different departments.

Dropping off water and extension cords is on the guest services side.  A light bulb replacement is on the "maintenance" side (actually most likely the Engineering side).

I know the differentiation of job responsibilities may seem silly, but there are reasons, both on-board ships and on-shore hotels, business parks etc.

Over the last year on four different cruises, we have never had an issue in regards to distilled water and extension cords.  If we had I would have first reached out to our cabin steward, even if we haven't met the steward.  I can normally find them, if not there is a pager number in the room where I can reach them.  Failing that then I would reach out to Guest Services and escalate as needed.

Edited by gatour
  • Like 1

We typically find that stewards think of cabins as "theirs" and wish to serve as point person on all issues.  Any negatives on the end of cruise survey reflect directly on them regardless of who is at fault.  They therefore prefer to be the one who contacts maintenance for repairs or security for a balky safe and then follows up to make sure guest is satisfied.

Might be wrong, but believe emails from Special Needs are system generated responses.  Given the state of Royal's IT am surprised when anything ordered online actually works out correctly.

Edited by Baron Barracuda
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gatour said:

Two different departments.

Dropping off water and extension cords is on the guest services side.  A light bulb replacement is on the "maintenance" side (actually most likely the Engineering side).

I know the differentiation of job responsibilities may seem silly, but there are reasons, both on-board ships and on-shore hotels, business parks etc.

Over the last year on four different cruises, we have never had an issue in regards to distilled water and extension cords.  If we had I would have first reached out to our cabin steward, even if we haven't met the steward.  I can normally find them, if not there is a pager number in the room where I can reach them.  Failing that then I would reach out to Guest Services and escalate as needed.

Guest service seemed to be useless in this situation. 

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:29 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

….

I also think that it is wrong for so many posters to tell you you should’ve asked your cabin attendant instead of guest services  there by putting the responsibility on you. You had arranged to have these items in your cabin, had verification from RCCL that you had done so, and in my opinion, you did the right thing by going to get services.   

…..

With that said, we do usually ask our cabin attendant for any cabin necessity first. If that is not delivered/ satisfied, repaired within 24 hours we go to guest services. You starting with guest services should not have been a problem.  

…..

Regardless of the reason that you needed the items, you asked for them in advance, had confirmation that they would be delivered, and rightfully expected them to be waiting for you. 

…..

I don´t read the Responses as People putting the responsibility on the OP. People responded with suggestions that might help the OP the next time around and also might be helpful to others reading. 

Yes some balls were dropped here in the chain of Happenings, but to be honest ship happens and non of the Events were so bad that they couldn´t have been corrected easily.

Yes the OP could have expected those items waiting, but hey they didn´t and according to them These items were essential. Special Needs is a shoreside Operation, so at this Point yes it becomes the cabin attendants responsibility. Contacting GS is really not that difficult some People make it Sound on here. So once they were informed and didn´t follow through I´d have escalated my request and I´m sure it would have worked out.

Sometimes you can make mishaps more difficult than they actually are if you are just Looking at who to blame and how your expectations have not been met. Just get it resolved and stop grumbling About how it shouldn´t have happened in the first place. That just makes you more Angry, doesn´t solve the Situation and bad Feelings will linger Long after everything is fine.

• Like 1

I recently led a group cruise on Jewel where at least 10 of our rooms required Special Needs requests. Either CPAP and/or Sharps Container/Fridge related. Besides PERSONALLY notating each reservation on Espresso (the Travel Agent portal for Royal Caribbean), I also emailed Special Needs for every room reservation individually. Additionally, my reservation was one of the ones for CPAP water too. None of us got any of what was requested. Everyone simply asked their cabin stewards and all was fine by bedtime on day 1, but still, what's the point of Travel Agents notating PLUS emailing and having a dialog with the Special Needs department. 

This is also not just a JEWEL issue, as I have only gotten my CPAP water on ONE of my past TEN cruises without having to kindly ask my steward. Again, my steward has always gotten what I need quickly and painlessly, but it again poses the same question as above.

This thread has inspired me to reply back to EVERY email with Special Needs relating to our Feb 2019 group cruise with the following...

Hello,

Please be advised that these items were not in the guests stateroom on embarkation day and the ship had no record of the request. Please address this reoccurring shore to ship communication issue.

thanks

Sam King
Travel Planner 

Hopefully my request for addressing this WIDESPREAD issue might get some balls rolling. 

Cheers!

Sorry to hear about that but you did pick your room.  Could have picked a more central room.  I know when we cruise with older family we pick a room based on location for them.

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2019 at 9:45 PM, QueenofKrakatoa said:

Agree. Cumbersome to not have one? Yes. Life-threatening? No.

SLEEP APNEA CAN ABSOLUTELY lead to sudden death. Period. Low O2, abnormal beats, heart stops. DEAD.

• Like 1

I requested a sharps container ahead of time for our first RCCL cruise last year. I received an email saying that the sharps container would be waiting in the stateroom upon my arrival. But alas, no. No sharps container for me. We were new to RCCL so it did not occur to me to just ask the room attendant. We ended up waiting in the Guest Services line on day 3 of our cruise. They supposedly added some notes and told us the sharps container would be delivered to the room. But we ended up having to ask the room attendant on day 4. 

I didn't even bother asking for a sharps container on our 2nd cruise. I just adjusted my medication timing so that I wouldn't need a sharps container on that trip.

I've never asked for a Sharpes container. I just throw my needles in a ziplock and take them home with me and dispose of them. I usually keep my insulin at room temp but do put in the frig if there is one to use. I use the insulin pens and not the vials. I've been an insulin dependent diabetic for 44 years and always find a way to make it work.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 1:14 PM, jordanaire said:

. A person uses a CPAP machine for one reason only...to stay alive! RCI obviously could care less. Last time that we ever sail with them!

Note, you can use the cpap without water...  worst case scenario, you get a dry throat and nasal passage from doing this.

It's so odd reading about issues such as the sharps container.  Comparing RCI to NCL's Bliss, the Bliss had a sharps container in every room.  Not just every room that asked, they were in every cabin from what I could tell.  I for sure didn't ask for one but had one, as did anyone else I asked about it.

I can't speak to how CPAP was handled, though I talked to someone who didn't even bother to bring theirs because of the power situation.

On 4/26/2019 at 1:12 PM, jordanaire said:

I smuggled a cord in, but what would have happened if I hadn't or the one I had was confiscated?

I am not trying to downplay your problem with the water, extension cord etc. but you simply could have plugged your CPAP machine in the outlet next to the bed.  No extension cord is needed.  I use a BIPAP and on Allure and Harmony I have used the outlet and have not needed an extension cord.

I have arrived in the cabin with and have not had the distilled water, but I did tell my steward when he introduced himself that I needed it and it was there when he did the nighttime turn down.

One cruise I couldn't find the outlet and left the machine unplugged on the night stand.  When I returned from dinner, the steward had it plugged in for me, without my asking.

Not receiving the Sharps container is another thing that has happened to us on other lines as well as on RC.  Here again, just asking the steward had it magically appear.

Without attempting to make excuses, I think the stewards, on turn around day, are so busy that many times they just don't notice or have the time to get the things we need, but a simple request has worked for us every time.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:55 PM, ryano said:

Note to self.  Smuggle extension cord for CPAP just in case.   Not having distilled water is no big deal as I will just use the ships water but if I dont have a way of powering my CPAP, I dont sleep.  I would be ill too.  

Thanks for sharing 🙂     

I was going to say that my medical provider told me I could use regular water for a short time if I was ever in a position that I could not get distilled water for the CPAP.   He said don't make it a habit or do it all the time, but it wouldn't hurt in a pinch.

Now I have a crazy question.  Is it really possible to die if you don't use your CPAP?  I know mine definitely helps my sleep and helps me have more energy from not snoring and repeatedly waking in the night. I just haven't heard of people dying from not using it.   The last time I went to Disney I walked out of the house without mine and didn't realize until we got down there.  I was a little more fatigued than usual but I didn't die. 

Maybe I am a little too slack with my use. I don't know.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:36 PM, eynsteinp said:

I know my situation was very different but I am not shocked by OP's story.  I was in an Owner's Suite on the Allure and on the second night of the cruise I found out my wife and I had to leave the cruise as our special needs son was having an issue at home.  We told the Concierge about the emergency and asked if we could get off at the next port.  The staff did absolutely nothing to help us in any way shape or form other than to tell us to go to the dining room with our bags the next morning.  We tried to get help with arranging flights, make calls etc., and literally no one person offered any assistance or even asked if there was anything they could do.  My wife and I dragged our bags off the ship in San Juan and had to figure out where to go to get a cab, go to the airport and find a flight home.  We had never been to San Juan and could have used some basic assistance to help get us home.  I decided to try Royal one more time and booked a cruise on the Harmony of the Seas for June with my fingers crossed that this will be a better experience as we are taking our children with us. I talked to the cruise representative about my concerns and was assured that my experience was an anomaly last time and if my son has issues there are  people on board that can assist us.  I was not looking for anything for free, just some help during a very difficult emergency.  I felt the Allure was a sensational ship that my kids would love and I am keeping my fingers crossed that id we had a problem they would be more responsive this time.  When I read the OP story, it made me think again that Royal really needs to up their game when passengers have special needs.  Any way, I am optimistic that there is no emergency and if there is Royal truly does a better job with assistance in the future.  

Have you ever looked into seeing if MedJet Assist would have a program/coverage that might have been helpful in your situation?   I agree RCCL could have extended a bit of extra help, but I would take a look at MedJet Assist to see if anything they offer might be of help with a special needs situation.  Having aging parents and elderly grandparents, and having cruised with someone who had a little cruise catastrophe,  we have been getting it for ourselves as a "just in case" since probably 2012.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:37 PM, Mikew0805 said:

They didn't take the CPAP cord though right? That is the only one I carry, and there would be a problem if they tried to take that form me. 

My regular CPAP cord is really long. I have never thought about needing an extension cord. 

13 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

Now I have a crazy question.  Is it really possible to die if you don't use your CPAP? 

I highly doubt it  🙂  I would say that risk is VERY small.    If I dont use mine I just wake up gasping for air in the middle of the night.  The very second you stop breathing for even a fraction of a second, your brain will likely wake you up

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:19 PM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

You said "A person uses a CPAP for one reason... to stay alive."  I was simply pointing out there are other reasons people use CPAPs.  If you would have said "I use a CPAP for one reason... " I wouldn't have said anything.  

FWIW, I do think you were wronged by the items you requested not being in your room.  AND by not getting any help from guest services.  To those who say "talk to the cabin attendant",  you KNOW you're going to find someone at guest services.  Sometimes the cabin attendant is off doing other things. 

I think it is reasonable that a person would go to guest services to request these items. It would probably be my first thought. 
However, I am pleased to read here that these items can be mentioned to my cabin steward who may be able to help me procure them. I probably wouldn't have thought to mention to the cabin steward but it's another route to get what I need.  The more you know....

10 minutes ago, azbaby8062 said:

I know at least two people who have died from sleep apnea within the past three years.

Correlation doesn't equal causation. I was tested for sleep apnea and the doctor said that sleep apnea isn't life threatening, just annoying. 

On 6/4/2019 at 2:40 PM, legaljen1969 said:

My regular CPAP cord is really long. I have never thought about needing an extension cord. 

Just off the Majesty, and the head of the bed is against the back wall. So the cord would need to be long enough to come up to the nightstand, run the length of the bed, plus the length of the desk area, then up the wall to the plug. My CPAP cord is no where near that long. LOL

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 3:43 PM, QueenofKrakatoa said:

Correlation doesn't equal causation. I was tested for sleep apnea and the doctor said that sleep apnea isn't life threatening, just annoying. 

Guess doctor's have different views.

Edited by azbaby8062
  • Like 1