17 y/o dress code for MDR?

bnbeyer

What is the real dress code for the MDR? My 17 y/o son wears jeans (no holes), sweatpants, and shorts as his wardrobe with UnderArmour or Nike type shirts and sweatshirts. What do I need to buy/bring for him for dinners?

You're going to get a lot of opinions here on this, but below is what is listed on Carnival's website. For Cruise Casual nights, jeans should be fine. Gym-wear (sweat pants, workout type shirts) is not permitted. For Elegant nights, it might be a good idea to get him a pair of khakis and a nice button down otherwise you can utilize the Lido buffet for a more casual dining experience.

What to Wear - Evening Attire 
Following is the dress code in the main dining room(s) for both men, women and children:

“Cruise Casual” Dress Code
  • Men: sports slacks, khakis, jeans, long dress shorts and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, jeans blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: cut-off jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire
“Cruise Elegant” Dress Code (formal evenings)
  • 2-day to 5-day cruise: one “Cruise Elegant” evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two “Cruise Elegant” evenings 
The first “Cruise Elegant” evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second “Cruise Elegant” evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting.
  • Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
Not permitted: jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

You're going to get a lot of opinions here on this, but below is what is listed on Carnival's website. For Cruise Casual nights, jeans should be fine. Gym-wear (sweat pants, workout type shirts) is not permitted. For Elegant nights, it might be a good idea to get him a pair of khakis and a nice button down otherwise you can utilize the Lido buffet for a more casual dining experience.

What to Wear - Evening Attire 
Following is the dress code in the main dining room(s) for both men, women and children:

“Cruise Casual” Dress Code
  • Men: sports slacks, khakis, jeans, long dress shorts and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, jeans blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: cut-off jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire
“Cruise Elegant” Dress Code (formal evenings)
  • 2-day to 5-day cruise: one “Cruise Elegant” evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two “Cruise Elegant” evenings 
The first “Cruise Elegant” evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second “Cruise Elegant” evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting.
  • Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
Not permitted: jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

I had forgotten that it said jeans were okay for casual.  So he can't wear those Nike type shirts, eh? I'll have to get him some polo style shirts.  He does have black slacks that he wears to work at the grocery store. He can wear those for the elegant nights. Would polo shirts be okay for elegant night also?

I haven't been on Carnival since 1984. I've cruised Princess twice and Royal Caribbean once, but Carnival is so much less expensive for a large family, and I really like this itinerary out of San Juan. I've always preferred MDR, and I'm thinking I'm going to insist on the 17 y/o eating dinner with us each day since I know we won't see him much in the evenings otherwise. I dunno. Maybe if he makes friends and wants to eat dinner with them after we've spent the day at the beach...  I'll probably cave.

1 minute ago, Don Kehote said:

The dress code applies to humans of all ages.  Exempted are:  Aliens, Squids, Single-celled life forms, and platinum cruisers.  Infants will wear full black tie formal attire at all times.

Well...  Luke might qualify as an alien.  Or maybe an infant!  My teenagers have always seemed to act like infants at times. {sigh}

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bnbeyer said:

I had forgotten that it said jeans were okay for casual.  So he can't wear those Nike type shirts, eh? I'll have to get him some polo style shirts.  He does have black slacks that he wears to work at the grocery store. He can wear those for the elegant nights. Would polo shirts be okay for elegant night also?

I haven't been on Carnival since 1984. I've cruised Princess twice and Royal Caribbean once, but Carnival is so much less expensive for a large family, and I really like this itinerary out of San Juan. I've always preferred MDR, and I'm thinking I'm going to insist on the 17 y/o eating dinner with us each day since I know we won't see him much in the evenings otherwise. I dunno. Maybe if he makes friends and wants to eat dinner with them after we've spent the day at the beach...  I'll probably cave.

I think a nice polo shirt with slacks for a teenager would be fine for the main dining room on elegant night. I often seen kids and teens not dressed up as much as their parents. 

Cruises are a great opportunity to expose kids to a more "upscale" dining experience. When we traveled with my brother's family, they always required their teenager to eat dinner with us (and try something new every night - he was a very picky eater!). It was great family time and then he could go off and find his friends! 

• Like 1

If he likes the nike/under armour shits, have you considered their polo/golf shirts?  They're pretty comfortable looking, but a little pricey.  It's similar material to what he's already wearing.  And if he is close to graduating high school, wouldn't hurt to have a couple on hand for those dress up events that could possibly come up and you may not find out til the last minute.

1 minute ago, purplephenom said:

If he likes the nike/under armour shits, have you considered their polo/golf shirts?  They're pretty comfortable looking, but a little pricey.  It's similar material to what he's already wearing.  And if he is close to graduating high school, wouldn't hurt to have a couple on hand for those dress up events that could possibly come up and you may not find out til the last minute.

👍  Yeah, I think I'll buy a couple of those.  He's outgrown the ones he had before, but he did wear them to church.

8 minutes ago, bnbeyer said:

Hi

Long pants and a polo shirt will be fine for the elegant nights. I am sure he will be better dress than others around him. 

Keep up the good work.

have a great cruise

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

I think a nice polo shirt with slacks for a teenager would be fine for the main dining room on elegant night. I often seen kids and teens not dressed up as much as their parents. 

Cruises are a great opportunity to expose kids to a more "upscale" dining experience. When we traveled with my brother's family, they always required their teenager to eat dinner with us (and try something new every night - he was a very picky eater!). It was great family time and then he could go off and find his friends! 

Again, you will get many opinions, but jeans are fine for formal night too.  Everyone is sitting down, so you don't see the bottom anyway lol!  Also you will get differences in opinion about the MDR being "upscale"  It is a nice restaurant, not what I would consider "upscale"  Don't sweat the small stuff, and worry what other people think.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bnbeyer said:

👍  Yeah, I think I'll buy a couple of those.  He's outgrown the ones he had before, but he did wear them to church.

If it makes him feel better, he can change right after dinner- I did when i cruised with my parents and I still do.  I HATE dressing up (and to me on a cruise anything more than shorts, tshirt and flip flops is dressy).  There's no requirement to stay dressed up for the whole evening...although some people do, and they look great.

All I have to say (so as not to add to the good advice already given) is way to go Mom (I'm assuming here).  I think that it is fantastic to teach our kids, no matter what age, to dress appropriately for whatever occasion they find themselves in.

43 minutes ago, bnbeyer said:

get him a red tiger nike polo, he'll love it

Just get him a pair of slacks and a couple polo shirts just to wear at dinner.  He will be adequately dressed and get a learning experience about dress codes that will serve him for the rest of his life.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

People on CC copy/paste the dress code from Carnival's website. The Fun Times always has something different. I completely ignore the Carnival website dress code because it's not accurate in the least.

Here is it from the HUB app.

IMG_0413.jpg

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Like 1

I think kids and teens deserve a little more leeway when it comes to MDR attire. And I don't mean they should show up in a regular T-shirt or whatever they feel like. When I think of a Polo shirt, I think collared shirt, and I don't think a collar is necessary, especially on casual nights. Our teenage son wears a nice shirt (not necessarily button-up or collared) and khaki shorts, and it looks nice. Shoot, I always wear khaki shorts, too, with a nice shirt and loafers on casual nights. If our boy ever went to elegant night, which he doesn't, then we'd probably have him wear a button-up with a tie. Khaki pants or slacks are fine for casual and elegant. Bottom line, just follow Carnival's guidelines and, most importantly, go with what you think is nice and don't worry about what others think. There are people who literally say seeing a hat or T-shirt in the MDR ruined their meal. I'm sorry, but if that's all it takes to ruin your meal, well let's just leave it at that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KimPossible1 said:

He can wear whatever he wants including Nike shorts and sport shirts.  We have seen many types of dress in the dining room.   You will get many opinions on the subject. 

If he does, he could be turned away. (Maybe not likely, but it has happened). 

The dress code is so relaxed nowadays, it not very had to follow it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, simplelife said:

If he does, he could be turned away. (Maybe not likely, but it has happened). 

The dress code is so relaxed nowadays, it not very had to follow it.

I disagree with being turned away, on formal night.  In March, on formal night, a man in khaki cargo shorts and shirt was not turned away and seated after us.  They were not the nicest shorts and shirt, he actually looked like he had just come from spending the day in the port...so I would still not worry 🙂

On 4/26/2019 at 9:43 AM, fyree39 said:

I've seen everything in the MDR.  People do make a little effort on the elegant nights, but I've seen those not dressed up at all on those nights as well. Carnival is extremely relaxed on their dress code enforcement, or lack thereof.

when we were on the Dream in January there were young adults wearing shorts and baseball caps sideways on their heads. this was on elegant night. the md didn't stop them. 

We cruised last year with a daughter and grandchildren, and her sons wore nice khaki slacks with a button down shirt. My hubby and I have long given up formal wear, but he does wear Khaki slacks and polos for elegant night, and either his cargo shorts or khakis for other nights. Jeans are allowed on non elegant nights, along with shorts (cargo/khaki style, not nylon sports style). But do NOT let the fashion police tell you to eat in Lido buffet if not dressy!! YOU DO NOT HAVE TO! That is so archaic to even think that in this more casual age of travel—and my hubby and I are senior citizens! Carnival realizes this, and you will not be made to eat elsewhere. Don’t let anyone tell you that you have to. 

• Like 2

We definitely saw a guy turned away in shorts on elegant night. His wife gave him a steely look and said, "I told you so"

How hard or different is it to put on a pair of slacks, one leg at a time just like shorts? 

• Like 1