Equinox Revolution

Islandbuoy

I really never post anything.  For this, I will.  As I think, in my opinion, many longtime cruisers will understand, each and every ship has it's own heart/soul/vibe/feeling.  I have had the pleasure of sailing on all the S class ships except the namesake- and will hopefully get to sail on her as well at some point.  People can, and will, say that they are all the same ship, just different names.  No.  They are not!  Each has its own personality and vibe.  Each gives off a different experience.  My friends, and fellow cruise buddies  mocked me  for that sentiment, as we had 1 sailing that I absolutely HATED!   That ship was just "off".  I never felt relaxed, or content at all (later comments).   My first ever S class cruise was on the Equinox.  It was a birthday/anniversary cruise- the first of many since my husband and I started cruising for the holidays.  My birthday/our anniversary is Christmas day. It was beyond magical!  I thought, yes, this is the thing, let's do it again and again- so we have- since 2013.  The 2nd cruise  was also on the Equinox and was equally amazing.  Then we tried her sister the following year.  Utter fail.  That ship?  The Eclipse.  HATED the Eclipse!  Couldn't have been happier to get off of her!  All things being equal, as they "should be" on sister ships, I couldn't wrap my brain around why I was not enjoying myself.  It was the vibe.  It was stupid little things that shouldn't make a difference, but they did, and just kept adding up/multiplying, and kept annoying me from day 1 through day 12.  The next year was back on Equinox and I was "home" again.  The following year, we boarded the Reflection, and while excited for the "newest and biggest", I was worried I might feel the same as I did with Eclipse, but nope, she was fantastic!  Later that year, we had a great time on her again on a Med cruise in June.  This past Christmas, we sailed for the first time on Silhouette.  I was leery, as I had heard a lot of rumblings about disharmony amongst staff, etc , on Silhouette, so I was expecting a similar scenario as to the Eclipse cruise.  Nope- turns out, Silhouette is easily my 2nd favorite of the S class ships!  I realize everyone has their own opinions, etc , regarding cruising/ships, but, hands down, the Equinox is, and always will be, my favorite of the S class ships, regardless of ever going on the Solstice or not.  That ship is home.  That ship has a vibe that none of her sisters match (the Silhouette is very close) and I, for one, am kinda glad that it's not getting the full on "revolution" as I don't think it needed it, and I would hate to see her vibe/atmosphere ruined just to keep up with Edge.  I have no idea what the revolution will look/feel like on these ships, and while glad that the Equinox may have "lucked into" stalling the process,  I'm saddened that the Silhouette is next in line for the process.  Skip the line Eclipse!  Let the Eclipse be the guinea pig- she needs the help!  And yes, I say that jokingly, because I'm well aware that there are cruisers out there that absolutely adore the Eclipse and have similar feelings for her as I do for the Equinox!  🙂  For all those with upcoming cruises on the Equinox, worried about the "revolution", or lack thereof- don't be!  She's a glorious ship and you're truly not going to be cheated out of any experience due to a lack of complete revolution.  If anything, you just might be getting the best of all worlds- with an already amazing ship that's going to be refreshed, but will still be holding on to all that makes her special in her class!

• Like 7

18 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Originally, the dining room was supposed to be getting redone, I guess to mimic more of the Edge design. At this point, that change is cancelled. Doesn't bother me. I enjoyed myself 2 years ago, plan to do so again in a month or so.

The 4  mdrs on EDGE are all diff in looks... and all very nice.  The gen EDGE color scheme is  neutral beige and gray...The pics of the mdr on Summit upgraded looks nice...hope with comfy seating, we'll be on her next year,

Equinox is a great ship so hope she is even better with the smaller scale

Edited by hcat

I will be sailing on the Equinox in January 2020.  It will be my first time on Celebrity and I am really looking forward to it.

The Edge sounds interesting, maybe a little too interesting for my taste, lol.  But I DO like four different MDRs, each with different menus (at least different in part).

4 hours ago, genesis1272 said:

I really never post anything.  For this, I will.  As I think, in my opinion, many longtime cruisers will understand, each and every ship has it's own heart/soul/vibe/feeling.  I have had the pleasure of sailing on all the S class ships except the namesake- and will hopefully get to sail on her as well at some point.  People can, and will, say that they are all the same ship, just different names.  No.  They are not!  Each has its own personality and vibe.  Each gives off a different experience.  My friends, and fellow cruise buddies  mocked me  for that sentiment, as we had 1 sailing that I absolutely HATED!   That ship was just "off".  I never felt relaxed, or content at all (later comments).   My first ever S class cruise was on the Equinox.  It was a birthday/anniversary cruise- the first of many since my husband and I started cruising for the holidays.  My birthday/our anniversary is Christmas day. It was beyond magical!  I thought, yes, this is the thing, let's do it again and again- so we have- since 2013.  The 2nd cruise  was also on the Equinox and was equally amazing.  Then we tried her sister the following year.  Utter fail.  That ship?  The Eclipse.  HATED the Eclipse!  Couldn't have been happier to get off of her!  All things being equal, as they "should be" on sister ships, I couldn't wrap my brain around why I was not enjoying myself.  It was the vibe.  It was stupid little things that shouldn't make a difference, but they did, and just kept adding up/multiplying, and kept annoying me from day 1 through day 12.  The next year was back on Equinox and I was "home" again.  The following year, we boarded the Reflection, and while excited for the "newest and biggest", I was worried I might feel the same as I did with Eclipse, but nope, she was fantastic!  Later that year, we had a great time on her again on a Med cruise in June.  This past Christmas, we sailed for the first time on Silhouette.  I was leery, as I had heard a lot of rumblings about disharmony amongst staff, etc , on Silhouette, so I was expecting a similar scenario as to the Eclipse cruise.  Nope- turns out, Silhouette is easily my 2nd favorite of the S class ships!  I realize everyone has their own opinions, etc , regarding cruising/ships, but, hands down, the Equinox is, and always will be, my favorite of the S class ships, regardless of ever going on the Solstice or not.  That ship is home.  That ship has a vibe that none of her sisters match (the Silhouette is very close) and I, for one, am kinda glad that it's not getting the full on "revolution" as I don't think it needed it, and I would hate to see her vibe/atmosphere ruined just to keep up with Edge.  I have no idea what the revolution will look/feel like on these ships, and while glad that the Equinox may have "lucked into" stalling the process,  I'm saddened that the Silhouette is next in line for the process.  Skip the line Eclipse!  Let the Eclipse be the guinea pig- she needs the help!  And yes, I say that jokingly, because I'm well aware that there are cruisers out there that absolutely adore the Eclipse and have similar feelings for her as I do for the Equinox!  🙂  For all those with upcoming cruises on the Equinox, worried about the "revolution", or lack thereof- don't be!  She's a glorious ship and you're truly not going to be cheated out of any experience due to a lack of complete revolution.  If anything, you just might be getting the best of all worlds- with an already amazing ship that's going to be refreshed, but will still be holding on to all that makes her special in her class!

This is so interesting to me. Can you identify the things that made the equinox so superior?  I confess I feel the same way about the Infinity! That ship just feels like home to me. 

Artist rendering from the Celebrity site on the Equinox Revolution. Looks like getting a mix of new & old.  The new grey tones with the bedding and carpet, but still the old over bed storage and rounded edge desk. 

image.png.29f9af65bfdfb2c98a592d07e37e953e.png

Several people have referenced "post revolution deck plans" and what is ON them or missing from them...where do you find these updated deck plans?  Or is that maybe what is showing on Celebrity website?  I'm a little confused as it's showing the current deck plans are for MARCH 2019 through April 2020.  But March is before the refit.

And mostly what I'm curious about is the Card Room staying now that the interior staterooms will not be added?  I hope so!  I won't cry if the Card Room is not staying but it IS one of the reasons hubby and I booked a room on deck 9, so we could head there in the afternoon if it's too windy up on deck.

6 hours ago, CardRock said:

Artist rendering from the Celebrity site on the Equinox Revolution. Looks like getting a mix of new & old.  The new grey tones with the bedding and carpet, but still the old over bed storage and rounded edge desk. 

A post from a Celebrity rep on an Equinox social media site said the cabin colors will be more earth tones compared to the gray/beige updates to Millenium and Summit. Also shower stall and bathroom floors will be changed.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CardRock said:

Tiny “coffee” table.  Jeez!  

As someone trying to find out about the new Equinox, these threads are horribly uninformative.

That said, I've pulled a few nuggets of info out of them.  It was like pulling teeth, though.

Most of CC information on non official cruise line announcements is either speculation, “news from a crew member”, experience from a friend or just rumors. It’s best to wait to hear from someone on the first or second post dry dock sailing for accurate information.

14 hours ago, Husky61 said:

To me, a ship is a ship, and we don't get any special vibes, etc like you do.  Sounds like an individual thing with you.😃

Some cruises do seem more ‘special’ than others...

Could be itineraries, smooth sailing, weather? However, I think it is mostly down to staff and staff management.

When service is specifically good for you (room attendant spot on, waiter attentive...) and generally around the ship (short wait at bars...) then you relax, unwind and take things in your stride! The odd iffy steak is a non incident!

Generally negative reviews seem to be a consequence of a series of minor glitches....which individually are ‘nothings’ but together have ‘sensitised’ the guest to be ‘expecting’ a problem with food, getting drink service, a sunbed....

11 hours ago, Gimpy McFarlan said:

We loved the Eclipse and Equinox. Took the Eclipse on a Baltic cruise last year and the Equinox on a Western Caribbean cruise earlier this year. Both ships we well designed, maintained and service was excellent in each. YMMV

We have sailed on Eclipse. X3 and Silhouette once. 

IMO the CD has a great deal to with the vibe on the ship.

Then we tried her sister the following year.  Utter fail.  That ship?  The Eclipse.  HATEthe Eclipse!  Couldn't have been happier to get off of her!  All things being equal, as they "should be" on sister ships,

Edited by upwarduk

7 hours ago, Angeltyker26 said:

Several people have referenced "post revolution deck plans" and what is ON them or missing from them...where do you find these updated deck plans?  Or is that maybe what is showing on Celebrity website?  I'm a little confused as it's showing the current deck plans are for MARCH 2019 through April 2020.  But March is before the refit.

And mostly what I'm curious about is the Card Room staying now that the interior staterooms will not be added?  I hope so!  I won't cry if the Card Room is not staying but it IS one of the reasons hubby and I booked a room on deck 9, so we could head there in the afternoon if it's too windy up on deck.

where you see the dates there is a down arrow to the right of the dates, this will allow you to change the dates.  i would not give the info any worries.  First and foremost those dates have always been wrong as we all know the ship is in dry dock now -not in 2020. Furthermore the signature, reflection suites and eight inside suites (as confirmed by Celebrity in an email I received about changing my booked room - All Equinox voyages will remain as scheduled starting June 1st out of Fort Lauderdale; however, the change in shipyard venue has made it necessary to postpone the addition of the new Reflection Suite, five Signature Suites and eight inside staterooms.) will not be added but the future plans still show the rooms added.  No one has updated he website as of this AM.  I am not sure what will happen with the card room but I hope it is there for you when you sail. 

14 hours ago, CardRock said:

Thanks for posting...still an artists rendering but shows what the gen plans are.  Looks like they would keep the Queen size bed if it has to fit under the  "bed cubbies" ?????

On 5/14/2019 at 11:15 AM, genesis1272 said:

We have done 11 Eclipse, 8 Silhouette and 1 Reflection Cruise since 2012 I am afraid I cannot agree with you regarding the Eclipse. We have always found it just like home. The Silhouette has the same sort of feel to it but we didn't find that on the Reflection. I think the extra floor of rooms don't help and the fact that they were building Luminae while we were on also added to that feeling. We have not tried the Equinox but have 2 cruises booked on it in 2021 and I expect it to feel much like the Eclipse and the Silhouette.

We did 5 of those Eclipse cruises between November 2012 and February 2014 and it did feel strange going on to the Silhouette in the March of that year. We were in AQ for all these cruises and to sit in Blu on the Silhouette and not have all your favourite waiters around you was very strange but it didn't take long to get used to it. 

Many things can change the vibe of a cruise; itinerary, weather, passenger demographics, Senior Staff etc etc. Given that Equinox, Eclipse and the rest of the S-class provide essentially the same facilities, if Eclipse was receiving consistently lower passenger scores than other ships then (a) Celebrity would be aware of that and (b) they would do something about fixing it.

I would not be surprised if Celebrity didn't maintain a league table of ship satisfaction ratings and use it to encourage each ship to 'up its game' and increase its comparative rating.

Edited by barbette165
Extra comment

Saw this on the Equinox facebook page.  Someone posted a licve chat they had with Celebrity  and it looks like the bathrooms are getting redone.  side note...Someone does need to merge the multiple threads on this topic.  

image.png.82457e73efc01f2c19b30b41ae4e7614.png

• Thanks 1

As far as I know, there are only two "official" documents out there that list itemized changes. One from March and an amended version from early May. The May document definitely removed the mention of bathrooms getting a refresh on Equinox.... 

March - original.pdf May - updated.pdf

Edited by paulh84

8 hours ago, chemmo said:

Some cruises do seem more ‘special’ than others...

Could be itineraries, smooth sailing, weather? However, I think it is mostly down to staff and staff management.

When service is specifically good for you (room attendant spot on, waiter attentive...) and generally around the ship (short wait at bars...) then you relax, unwind and take things in your stride! The odd iffy steak is a non incident!

Generally negative reviews seem to be a consequence of a series of minor glitches....which individually are ‘nothings’ but together have ‘sensitised’ the guest to be ‘expecting’ a problem with food, getting drink service, a sunbed....

Thanks for the comments, but a ship is still just a ship to us and any one cruise is not special to us. We have enjoyed all of them on ever ship we have sailed.😃

1 hour ago, paulh84 said:

As far as I know, there are only two "official" documents out there that list itemized changes. One from March and an amended version from early May. The May document definitely removed the mention of bathrooms getting a refresh on Equinox.... 

March - original.pdf 203.01 kB · 6 downloads May - updated.pdf 162.43 kB · 15 downloads

So if correct appears they are doing nothing to the bathrooms?

3 hours ago, CardRock said:

Saw this on the Equinox facebook page.  Someone posted a licve chat they had with Celebrity  and it looks like the bathrooms are getting redone.  side note...Someone does need to merge the multiple threads on this topic.  

image.png.82457e73efc01f2c19b30b41ae4e7614.png

This is the same discussion I referenced above but didn’t know you can post FB conversations on CC.  In this same conversation Ashley did mention earth tones vs grays on Summit and Millie.

4 hours ago, Husky61 said:

Thanks for the comments, but a ship is still just a ship to us and any one cruise is not special to us. We have enjoyed all of them on ever ship we have sailed.😃

Maybe for some--but for us it's the special times with those we cruise with. Either those we knew b-4 ,or those we met.

"Those we met " include special bonds with some of the staff--particularly in the dining room and captains club.