Is rumour true that club dining is to be phased out?

Pentlands

8 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

No, we are happy to share and have been on all sized tables. We tend to eat later at about 8pm. On the last cruise we went at 7pm to get a pager as that was the only way to get dinner around the time we normally eat.

On the formal night the wait was ridiculous.

When we were seated most nights there were lots of free tables but they had not been reset, staff shortages or lack of experience would be my guess.

This was my experience exactly on Britannia ust before Easter.  Pagers almost every other night, 45 minute waits quite common, but lots of empty unset tables when you finally got in. Something was obviously seriously wrong.

I've been doing Freedom as a solo traveller for about 3 years now. Never been given a pager; always allocated a table straight away but I like sharing except at breakfast.

Is it possible with Freedom dining to book a dining slot in advance?  With Royal Caribbean's My Time Dining you can book a time (not always what you want) in advance or turn up and try your luck - they don't offer a pager system

1 minute ago, Sarah1974 said:

Is it possible with Freedom dining to book a dining slot in advance?  With Royal Caribbean's My Time Dining you can book a time (not always what you want) in advance or turn up and try your luck - they don't offer a pager system

No.you just turn up and either get seated or given a pager to wait.

The main problem with freedom dining is that many cruisers still want first sitting and turn up early to get what they want. Therefore the dining room fills up quickly and no one else can get in until they have cleared. So many people turning up after 6.30 have to wait. Now this is a generalisation but I have seen this on a number of occasions.

8 minutes ago, daiB said:

The main problem with freedom dining is that many cruisers still want first sitting and turn up early to get what they want. Therefore the dining room fills up quickly and no one else can get in until they have cleared. So many people turning up after 6.30 have to wait. Now this is a generalisation but I have seen this on a number of occasions.

Yes, on some cruises it can get a bit crazy.  People start queuing earlier and earlier each night, especially if they want a table for two. Opening time is 6pm, and sometimes the queues start at 5.30pm!

We prefer a table for two, but I'm not queing up that early. What we tend to do is go along at about 6.45 - 7pm, and get a pager and have a drink while we wait.  The first batch of tables for 2 start coming out from 7pm onwards, so we usually don't have to wait too long

I have never done freedom. I have always done Club on P&0. I do miss the routine of half the ship sitting down together. I think they use to announce the sittings and it was a procession to the dinning rooms.  I accept that many people prefer Freedom. 

My next cruise is with a group of fifty. It will not be a problem in Club, as we will be allocated adjacent/near large tables for one of the sittings. How would Club work if all fifty of us turned up at the same time?

I will try Freedom. I am booked on G004 on Iona. It seems clear that new ships will not have Club. New ships will replace old ships, so eventually Club will be gone. It is a shame with so many main dining rooms that Iona could not have offered some Club dining. 

Best wishes, Stephen.  

2 hours ago, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

I have never done freedom. I have always done Club on P&0. I do miss the routine of half the ship sitting down together. I think they use to announce the sittings and it was a procession to the dinning rooms.  I accept that many people prefer Freedom. 

My next cruise is with a group of fifty. It will not be a problem in Club, as we will be allocated adjacent/near large tables for one of the sittings. How would Club work if all fifty of us turned up at the same time?

I will try Freedom. I am booked on G004 on Iona. It seems clear that new ships will not have Club. New ships will replace old ships, so eventually Club will be gone. It is a shame with so many main dining rooms that Iona could not have offered some Club dining. 

Best wishes, Stephen.  

It does seem a shame that they are not offering club for those who enjoy it. Perhaps they might offer it if they can’t fill the ships with the ”new cruisers” during the quieter months.

It would be an easy thing to change if all freedom does not work out.

We enjoy Freedom (except for Christmas cruises where it is nice to get to know our tablemates before the big day) but I do think it will be a shame if people who enjoy Club dining no longer have that option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

It does seem a shame that they are not offering club for those who enjoy it. Perhaps they might offer it if they can’t fill the ships with the ”new cruisers” during the quieter months.

It would be an easy thing to change if all freedom does not work out.

I agree completely. Modern cruising is supposed to be about more choice. This move reduces choice. Ironically Freedom Only is a loss of freedom on a cruise. 

Royal Caribbean manage to offer the equivalent of Freedom and Club on the Oasis class ships. They do big ships very well. 

The unavailability of Club dining will be something I consider when booking future cruises as a solo. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

Club Dining is an intrinsic part of cruising with P&O for me - especially when I travel solo.  Should P&O ever make dining on all ships Freedom-only, I will be jumping ship!

I can vaguely understand it on Iona due to the huge number of alternative dining venues that will be on offer.  Fortunately for  me, I have no desire to sail on Iona so will not be affected in the short-term future.

5 hours ago, Britboys said:

Club Dining is an intrinsic part of cruising with P&O for me - especially when I travel solo.  Should P&O ever make dining on all ships Freedom-only, I will be jumping ship!

I can vaguely understand it on Iona due to the huge number of alternative dining venues that will be on offer.  Fortunately for  me, I have no desire to sail on Iona so will not be affected in the short-term future.

I am with you on the need for Club for solo cruisers on P&O. On Iona I am cruising with friends so we will make up several tables. 

I believe some of the luxury lines invite singles to a hosted table at pre arranged time every evening. So effectively Club within Freedom. 

Best wishes, Stephen.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:52 PM, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

I am with you on the need for Club for solo cruisers on P&O. On Iona I am cruising with friends so we will make up several tables. 

I believe some of the luxury lines invite singles to a hosted table at pre arranged time every evening. So effectively Club within Freedom. 

Best wishes, Stephen.

One of the very few things I liked about my cruise with Marella (who only have open dining times) last year was that a table was reserved in the mdr for solos.  The Social Hostess arranged an early evening drink in the coffee shop on night 1 and the bar on night 2.  Thereafter, a group of us solos met for a drink every evening and then went to dinner using the reserved table every night.

Sadly I am not in the position to book one of the luxury lines - mind you, most of them have very few sea days so don't really appeal anyway 🙂

3 hours ago, Britboys said:

One of the very few things I liked about my cruise with Marella (who only have open dining times) last year was that a table was reserved in the mdr for solos.  The Social Hostess arranged an early evening drink in the coffee shop on night 1 and the bar on night 2.  Thereafter, a group of us solos met for a drink every evening and then went to dinner using the reserved table every night.

Sadly I am not in the position to book one of the luxury lines - mind you, most of them have very few sea days so don't really appeal anyway 🙂

I hope P and O might do something similar. A pre dinner meet for the first few days would help. 

I did a cruise on Marella but was part of a group.  The luxury lines do not appeal for many reasons. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

I have never done Freedom dining as I prefer Club Dining.  It is nice to have the same waiters each evening as they get to know your preferences and you also get to know them.

My mother has an allergy to cheese she is given the menu for the next day to choose what she wants and if necessary any adjustments can be made, which I think would be more difficult with Freedom.

2 minutes ago, purplesea said:

I have never done Freedom dining as I prefer Club Dining.  It is nice to have the same waiters each evening as they get to know your preferences and you also get to know them.

My mother has an allergy to cheese she is given the menu for the next day to choose what she wants and if necessary any adjustments can be made, which I think would be more difficult with Freedom.

I totally agree with you.  The service is much better as your waiter get to know you and you get to know them.  Also my partner has various food requirements (and I am sure it would be fine in Freedom) but it easier to just have to explain once per cruise. 

I do wonder how good tips are in Freedom dining. I usually give our waiters a small tip (in addition to the service charge) at the end of our cruise. I will probably not be so inclined when we have different waiters each night. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

My sister can't tolerate garlic. In freedom I think it was the head waiter brought the next days menu to her each night. She then chose her meal and it was cooked for her. One day one of the waiters would not give her a bread roll as the one next to it had garlic in. So yes the waiters are just as good in freedom as in club. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, purplesea said:

I also have a cheese allergy and always opt for Freedom Dining. The Head Waiter seeks me out every evening and gives me the following day's menus (lunch and dinner) to make my choices from. No problems at all.

1 hour ago, Brayman said:

I also have a cheese allergy and always opt for Freedom Dining. The Head Waiter seeks me out every evening and gives me the following day's menus (lunch and dinner) to make my choices from. No problems at all.

You’re right, of course. I think most of those criticising Freedom Dining and its supposed ‘problems’ have never actually tried it.

The only possible advantages I can see for Club Dining is that you sit with the same people every night, with the same waiter. And sitting with the same people isn’t necessarily an advantage!

But being tied to the same fixed time every night? No thanks!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 5:52 PM, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

Best wishes, Stephen.

I have sailed solo for several years since the death of my late partner and always opt for freedom dining. I like to meet new people and would not like to be tied to dining with the same people at the same time every evening. One problem however, lies with regards to speciality restaurants. I would love to try Sindu in particular but am not enamoured wiith the idea of dining there in splendid isolation. I regard dinner as a social occasion. It would be helpful to me and other solo travellers if a shared tables were provided each evening in the speciality restaurants at say 8pm for which solo travellers could make reservations.

24 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I have sailed solo for several years since the death of my late partner and always opt for freedom dining. I like to meet new people and would not like to be tied to dining with the same people at the same time every evening. One problem however, lies with regards to speciality restaurants. I would love to try Sindu in particular but am not enamoured wiith the idea of dining there in splendid isolation. I regard dinner as a social occasion. It would be helpful to me and other solo travellers if a shared tables were provided each evening in the speciality restaurants at say 8pm for which solo travellers could make reservations.

‘Excellent idea 👍

Les.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Denarius said:

That is a good idea. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

I really like dining alone in the speciality restaurants; it kind of balances sharing with different people each night on Freedom. If I have a sudden urge to be alone I head for the Glass House every time!