Cruise Ship Quarantined

DirtyDawg

A Cruise ship with nearly 300 passengers and crew was ordered quarantined in the Caribbean port of St. Lucia after a case of measles was confirmed on board.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cruise-ship-st-lucia-quarantined-over-confirmed-measles-case-n1000751

Fun way to spend your cruise!

Edited by DirtyDawg

4 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

A Cruise ship with nearly 300 passengers and crew was ordered quarantined in the Caribbean port of St. Lucia after a case of measles was confirmed on board.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cruise-ship-st-lucia-quarantined-over-confirmed-measles-case-n1000751

Apparently it is a Scientology cruise ship.  (I didn't know they had one.)

https://tonyortega.org/2019/05/01/is-scientology-freewinds-the-cruise-ship-quarantined-for-measles-in-st-lucia/?fbclid=IwAR06Xvzn0w9qBY4POUn6Ma60kNP4-sOrKNx_gEFGdghjBSkwSCFNtaRNEQ8

GC

yep

MarineTraffic shows only cruise ship currently at St Lucia is SMV FREEWINDS and that ship is exclusively operated for Church of Scientology.

Used Aruba as a home base of operations at one time ... not sure about today.

Former Boheme for Commodore line operated out of Miami ... I'm talking 80's here .... built in 68

Aruba - Freewinds.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

We have seen her docked - it may have been Aruba.   But there was hardly any movement on the entire ship. Only saw to figures.  Sat on our balcony watching for a hour or so.  Maybe they were having a service during that time.

I think she mostly does a circuit between Cartagena, Aruba, and Curacao.  Didn't realize she goes as far afield as St. Lucia.  She is also suspected to be hiding a lot of asbestos.  EM

Have to join in as we sailed the Boheme on August 15 to the 22 of 1970.  Normally not so sure of dates but it was a honeymoon cruise and we got married on 8/9/70 in California.  She was tiny by today’s standards.  We hit the side of a hurricane and lost maybe 20-25% of the passengers when we docked in St Thomas.  Cruise also went to Freeport for a brief visit, Cap Haitian and spent an over night in San Juan.  The cruise was so rough I had no desire to ever cruise again.  Amazing what a difference 29 years made when we went with Princess on the Dawn to Alaska in 1999.  Now have 23 others under our belt with, hopefully, Cuba scheduled  this fall.

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

What if someone on board needs hospitalization?

After all, some patients do.  (There is a flight attendant in a coma from this, as one example.)

GC

The quarantine does not preclude a medical evacuation to a hospital, where the patient would also be quarantined. What the island authority does NOT want is a boat load of potential disease carriers wandering around the island and spreading measles to their population.

We were docked next to this ship in Aruba as well. We did not see many passengers on it. I had to look it up to see what it was. Thank goodness for free internet on that cruise.

• Like 1

https://www.freewinds.org/

We saw them in Antigua a few years ago. They showed up at Runaway Beach where we were spending our day. They arrived in a couple of minibuses painted the same color and they were all dressed in white shirts and blue shorts. They were working out on the beach. The sweet lady working the little beach bar asked us if they were on our ship. I was nooooo, they are being way too active for us. I said we drink rum. LOL! She chuckled. 

2 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

If this is a "Cruise Ship" I'll eat my hat.

I wouldn't consider the Hannibal as a Cruise Ship either.

Whoa!

One of the other CC members reported taking their honeymoon on this ship, circa 1970...

What flavor hat do you have? :classic_wink:

GC

15 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Whoa!

One of the other CC members reported taking their honeymoon on this ship, circa 1970...

What flavor hat do you have? :classic_wink:

GC

YEARS ago it was a cruise ship.

Today, it's a Church of Scientology ship used for indoctrination and training

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:36 AM, DirtyDawg said:

I thought that ship never really strayed from Bonaire?