MITSUGIRLYS FREEDOM OF THE SEAS REVIEW & PICTORIAL

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

Are you going to the same ports?

Most likely. But nothing is final until the cruise is actually booked. And my bank account says...maybe in the fall. I'm actually looking at cruising fall of 2020.

I am beyond excited to find this review! I just spent Sunday morning reading your horizon review from December and was wishing for a detailed freedom review since I’ll be on her next month. And here you are!! My favorite review writer! Soooo looking forward to reading this later tonight! Thanks so much for doing these. You are so good at it!

3 hours ago, WisconsinFan said:

A bubbler is what us in southern Wisconsin call a drinking fountain 🙂

Ahhh, ok. Me likey!

3 hours ago, WisconsinFan said:

Why Do Wisconsinites Call That a Bubbler Anyway? I couldn't get the link to work in my other post 🙂

Haha...so made up and no one knows why/how? lol love it. 

2 hours ago, mkcurran said:

Most likely. But nothing is final until the cruise is actually booked. And my bank account says...maybe in the fall. I'm actually looking at cruising fall of 2020.

Awesome. I hope you have a great cruise whenever you go. 

1 hour ago, BNL1213 said:

I am beyond excited to find this review! I just spent Sunday morning reading your horizon review from December and was wishing for a detailed freedom review since I’ll be on her next month. And here you are!! My favorite review writer! Soooo looking forward to reading this later tonight! Thanks so much for doing these. You are so good at it!

Aww, thanks so much for the kind words. I'm glad you found the review as well. 

9 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I've heard it called that in New England also, although with a different accent.

Hello fellow Ohioan. haha...just thought I would throw that in there. 😉

• Like 1

Question for you. Did all 5 of Kendra’s family members sleep in that interior room? How did the sleeping arrangements work for her specific room? I’m enjoying your review and I have enjoyed your others in the past. Keep up the good work!!! 

On 5/5/2019 at 10:56 AM, mitsugirly said:

Ok so just a few more of the condo.

Heading into the bathroom. It was nicely stylish and looked like it had been remodeled.

P4190045%20copy-L.jpg

The one odd thing I found about this place....now just to backtrack...the Airbnb homes I have been in are usually amazing and are usually stocked with everything possible that you could need or want for a stay there. They understand people are coming in for vacation and they want to supply you with everything you could possibly use that you normally wouldn't think to bring on vacation.  From all the cooking utensils you need to non-perishable foods and so on. This place had it all....(such as lotion and aloe for sunburns and medical supplies and coffee, sugar blah blah blah...you get the picture).

Well....a few things it had I was like EWWWW...why would they leave this here?? Such as mascara and toothbrushes and chapstick to name a few. Now I'm not talking about "in the package" either. I'm talking used and it a baggy. Ekkkk! I just thought it was weird and of course if you are crazy and desperate enough to use them then....I guess that's on you. lol

So outside at the pool area looking up to our condo.

Quick%20Selection%20copy-L.jpg

Since our place was at the top and from one side to the other. We had 2 different views, depending on where you were.

From the huge bedrom, you had a view of the city and buildings and off in the distance the mountains.

P4200056%20copy-L.jpg

From up here, we got a sense of direction of where we were and was able to look down and see where to go for our pre-cruise run for pop. We spotted a gas station and also a grocery store near by. Awesome.

P4200057%20copy-L.jpg

From the living room...we had an amazing view of the ocean!

P4200058%20copy-L.jpg

And looking down, you could see the pool area.

P4200059%20copy-L.jpg

P4200060%20copy-L.jpg

P4210156%20copy-L.jpg

Part of the description on this place said there are a couple of manatees that hang out right in front of the place (they provided pictures of them from a shot taken from the condo), but of course, we didn't have any luck spotting them.

P4210158%20copy-L.jpg

P4210157%20copy-L.jpg

It was a beautiful beach for sure.

P4210161%20copy-L.jpg

I could stare at this all day!

P4210162%20copy-L.jpg

At night the town was all lit up and beautiful.

P4200154%20copy-L.jpg

P4200155%20copy-L.jpg

So my thoughts on this place. We absolutely loved the condo itself. It was nicely decorated, it was comfortable, came with a lot of extras and definitely a cute place you could stay in for a vacation. The only shocker was the living room was just smaller than we imagined, but the view from the living room was amazing! It had these little windows down below that you could see out no matter where you were at in the room.

I believe I forgot to take pictures of it during the day...or at least I haven't found them yet, but here's some from the website from the owners and this is me taking a picture with my camera of their picture (so not the greatest).

P5042768-M.jpg

P5042769-M.jpg

So I guess you could say we were happy with the room itself. Just the building and being on lockdown was weird.

I must say this place is 1000% better then the one from your review when you stayed in Old town, the one that had the pool on the roof and the stair issue.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 12:23 PM, mitsugirly said:

Guest Services

Where you talk to a monitor and not a real person like they have on some of the new ships where the robots make your drinks instead of a real person.

P1011097%20copy-L.jpg

Just kidding...

P1011098%20copy-L.jpg

Ha you got me , i was wondering how that would work 🙂 Cheers, Buzz.

• Like 1

In excited!  I love your reviews and it’s perfect timing as I’m leaving on the Freedom In 20 days on the same itinerary!!!    I didn’t read any yet. Just saw the review. Haha. Can’t wait to read through! 

18 hours ago, WisconsinFan said:

We did have an amazing cruise! I am looking at your photos to see if we end up in any of them 🙂 I am a "pop" person as well, but Wisconsin has slowly moved from "pop" to "soda" over the years.....now can anyone direct me to a bubbler?

It’ll remain “pop” in Chicago as long as I’m alive.    I went to UW LaCrosse and family lived in Milwaukee so I’m also a bubbler person.

• Haha 1

On 5/5/2019 at 9:38 PM, mitsugirly said:

I really did feel sorry for the people who decided to book the rooms along here. (I think they are considered ocean view rooms...only they don't face the ocean???). The parties they had going on here and the loud music accompanied by the strobe lights would have made it impossible to sleep here at night if you go to be early.

P1011028%20copy-L.jpg

P1011029%20copy-L.jpg

LOL, I hope not.  This Sunday, we have two of these rooms on Deck 8 (the inward slanting windows at the top).  From what I've read, the noise was generally not a factor - but there were exceptions.  I would think (hope?) that the worst of the noise would be for the Deck 6 cabins.  Then again, that vaulted roof could concentrate the noise on our level.  We're gonna have a good time regardless...

--bruce T.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:15 PM, mitsugirly said:

DECK 5

Bull & Bear Pub

P1011048%20copy-L.jpg

P1011049%20copy-L.jpg

P1011050%20copy-L.jpg

P1011051%20copy-L.jpg

P1011052%20copy-L.jpg

P1011053%20copy-L.jpg

P1011055%20copy-L.jpg

P1011054%20copy-L.jpg

Spent a lot of time in this bar in September.....Too Much Time!!

Hope you had fun on this ship!!

Mike

16 hours ago, Shanleigh said:

Question for you. Did all 5 of Kendra’s family members sleep in that interior room? How did the sleeping arrangements work for her specific room? I’m enjoying your review and I have enjoyed your others in the past. Keep up the good work!!! 

Yep, they sure did. LOL I offered several times for Shawna (his neice) to sleep in our room but even though she knows us and plays with Sakari off and on at Kendra's, she's very shy and didn't want to. I mentioned Kam and B a few times, but they were so not behaving and I revoked the offer. LOL

They had 2 singles pushed together in the middle and 2 beds on each side that came out of the ceiling and a couch.

16 hours ago, tcmagnum said:

Following...

Thanks

15 hours ago, link99 said:

I must say this place is 1000% better then the one from your review when you stayed in Old town, the one that had the pool on the roof and the stair issue.

yes it was better. I would take it any day over the other place.

12 hours ago, BuzzBuzzen said:

Ha you got me , i was wondering how that would work 🙂 Cheers, Buzz.

HEHE

11 hours ago, skidawg79 said:

In excited!  I love your reviews and it’s perfect timing as I’m leaving on the Freedom In 20 days on the same itinerary!!!    I didn’t read any yet. Just saw the review. Haha. Can’t wait to read through! 

Aww thanks and I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

3 hours ago, FirstAnthem said:

Following. Excited to read this since we will be on Freedom in September! 

Thanks for following and have a great cruise in September.

3 hours ago, sellwingri said:

It’ll remain “pop” in Chicago as long as I’m alive.    I went to UW LaCrosse and family lived in Milwaukee so I’m also a bubbler person.

Haha, same here...pop!

1 hour ago, Btank said:

LOL, I hope not.  This Sunday, we have two of these rooms on Deck 8 (the inward slanting windows at the top).  From what I've read, the noise was generally not a factor - but there were exceptions.  I would think (hope?) that the worst of the noise would be for the Deck 6 cabins.  Then again, that vaulted roof could concentrate the noise on our level.  We're gonna have a good time regardless...

--bruce T.

From everyone's comments, it sounds like you'll be ok.

1 hour ago, mpdog42 said:

Spent a lot of time in this bar in September.....Too Much Time!!

Hope you had fun on this ship!!

Mike

Haha! We had a blast on this ship.

• Like 1

Ok, so just a few videos from the first day and then I'll move on to Day 2. (See, I told ya I'd forget things).

I did manage to find some parties going on during sailaway....Deck 5 of course. There wasn't anyone participating in the crowd and it was just the crew dancers trying to get people going. I guess it didn't work too well. There's just not enough room here for this type of entertainment.

***note*** cc used to have a button to insert videos that would play within the post from youtube. I'm not sure, since they've changed things around here, how to do this. So...this will be an experiment. I'm uploading them as an attachment so we'll see. Ugh

• Like 1

Hmm, well I guess the videos worked.

On to day 2...

ST KITTS:  9-6PM

We really didn't know what to do at this port. Honestly, it's not one of my favorites. We had already been to Reggae at Cockelshell and Carambola-Ship Wreck at South Friars. We figured maybe we would do some 4 wheeling/dune buggies here but I couldn't get a straight answer from Kendra after weeks and weeks of questioning her.

There was a tour mentioned here on the boards by James Javin My Island Tours that sounded interesting. The tour consisted of this:

From the port will see a few sights in the capital,  Basseterre, and then we will head to the Spooners Cotton Ginnery and explore a well preserved piece of history. We will then visit the Black Rocks where we go down onto the lava rocks for photos and exploring. 

I will then journey back to the town of Cayon where we will hike up the Cayon Ghaut (river system) into the rainforest. We will enjoy nature and swim in cool, mountain-fed pools (as Mother Nature provides). 

After the hike we will head over the southeast peninsula make a stop at Timothy Hill for some amazing views and snorkel at Whitehouse Bay where there is a shipwreck accessible from shore, and an abundance of colorful fish often turtles and rays and other underwater scenery including a shipwreck and sunken cannons to enjoy. We will then head to Cockelshell Beach for some beach time with great views of our sister island, Nevis. Then it is back to the port  for 4pm. 

Ok, that sounded interesting enough and what made it even more interesting is the guy had a monkey (just like Kendra's) named Peaches. Well, Peaches comes along on the tours and even goes snorkeling.

Now I do have to say that communication took a while and I sent 3 different emails trying to book this tour. They finally answered me and communication was good after that. They said they would be able to book the 10 of us and had another 7 people going as well.

Adults were $95 each and children under 13 were $75 each. You get a 10% discount for having more than 6 people.

We were told to meet at the "Smoke and Booze" at 9am and they only give you 15 minutes to get there...however, we didn't arrive until 9am and so that wouldn't be possible. They said they would have to adjust their time, but didn't say for when.

I also inquired about walking in the rainforest and the hike on the black lava rocks. I told them about Billy breaking his leg and in a walking boot (but he used the knee scooter as much as possible) and their reply was:

"As for the hike onto the black rocks is on rocks so uneven by nature and the rain forest is partially trail partially some rocks. It is a dirt trail. I’m not sure how it will be for your friend. It is easy to sit out at black rocks and enjoy the views."

So we figured we'd play it by ear when we got there and if he didn't think he was able to do either, he'd sit out and "enjoy the views".

Day 2

We were to arrive in St Kitts at 9am so I set the alarm for 7am just to make sure we had enough time to get ready and head to breakfast and NOT be late (Kendra Alise!) to meet Javin as soon as we docked.

Now one thing that RC does it change the day in every elevator...one way to keep you from getting confused.

P1010694%20copy-L.jpg

I could see land off in the distance and knew we needed to hurry up.

P4220280%20copy-L.jpg

P4220283%20copy-L.jpg

They have a variety of everything on RC.

P4220284%20copy-L.jpg

There is staff during every meal going around serving drinks. It sure makes it nice if you have your hands full with plates, silverware and trying to find a table. They were always dressed up with something goofy. They put a smile on my face each morning.

P4220285%20copy-L.jpg

It was getting close to 9am and we were pulling in.

P4220287%20copy-L.jpg

Celebrity X was with us today and had already docked.

P4220289%20copy-L.jpg

P4220293%20copy-L.jpg

A call to Kendra's room and they were eating breakfast in the room and just about ready to head out. Thank goodness we weren't running behind because that's Kendra's speciality...making us late for everything.

We decided to head down to her room, since we had to go down anyhow to get off, and just for precautionary measures in case I had to drag her out to be on time.

We had made it...

P4220294%20copy-L.jpg

Winding our way down the streets full of vendors and shops...trying our best to get out.

P4220672%20copy-L.jpg

Edited by mitsugirly
  • Like 1

The Smoke and Booze is easy to find. Just out of the cruise compound and a slight left.

There were several people waiting and then off we went to the buses.

Immediately we were introduced to Peaches the monkey. She went around introducing herself to everyone.

P4220295%20copy-L.jpg

P4220296%20copy-L.jpg

Now I'll show you pictures "of interest" along the way. Our tour guide told us the significance of each place...but honestly, I have no idea what any of them are. I'm NOT a "tour-type" of person at ALL!

These awesome pictures comes to you from inside the tour bus with tinted windows=blue/green pictures. Enjoy! lol

P4220297%20copy-L.jpg

P4220299%20copy-L.jpg

P4220300%20copy-L.jpg

P4220301%20copy-L.jpg

P4220304%20copy-L.jpg

P4220306%20copy-L.jpg

P4220309%20copy-L.jpg

P4220310%20copy-L.jpg

P4220316%20copy-L.jpg

P4220317%20copy-L.jpg

P4220318%20copy-L.jpg

P4220320%20copy-L.jpg

P4220321%20copy-L.jpg

WATER!!!!! YES!!!!

P4220322%20copy-L.jpg

P4220324%20copy-L.jpg

And we pulled up to the first stop... Spooners Cotton Ginnery to explore a well preserved piece of history.

P4220325%20copy-L.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:50 AM, bobmacliberty said:

I think they are classified closer to an inside than an ocean view.

If you are looking to book a Promenade Room you will find them in the "interior cabins" section- not oceanview.   The only interior/promenade room I would ever consider would be the Ben & Jerry's Sweet *Suite".  That's hard to get though. Still, on my bucket list for someday.

16 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

We'll be on St. Kitts in November.  I have no idea what we'll do there. You're giving us some ideas, though. 🙂

We went to Reggae Beach Bar & Grill for the day.  It was a wonderful beach day with plenty of shade available, great food, monkeys and even goats up on the mountainside.  There were plenty of beach activities and you could also get cheap massages there right on the beach.  It was heaven!  That would've been right up your alley Mitsugirly!

Mitsugirly….I was excited to see your review!  If you ever have a need to stay in Puerto Rico again, check out Tres Palmas Inn.  I'm thinking it's in the general area of where you stayed this time.  I would go back and stay a whole week if I could and it was inexpensive. 

17 minutes ago, Luv06012012 said:

We went to Reggae Beach Bar & Grill for the day.  It was a wonderful beach day with plenty of shade available, great food, monkeys and even goats up on the mountainside.  There were plenty of beach activities and you could also get cheap massages there right on the beach.  It was heaven!  That would've been right up your alley Mitsugirly! ...

We've also gone there several times and enjoyed it.  Very scenic drive there, and a nice view of Nevis from the beach.

• Like 1

Been waiting for your review so happy to have found it Congrats of finishing school I know how hard that is I too am a nurse have worked same hospital for 30 years Love what I do My daughter also is a nurse she teaches nursing program on line We both love to cruise! My majority of cruise also is on NCL but I love the other Line also. mostly book for ports Hubby and I snorkel just about every where we go I have booked on rcl Serenade of the seas southern 11 day trip mostly because its going to Gernada want to snorkel the sculpture park  Please keep doing your reviews Love reading them

48 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

If you are looking to book a Promenade Room you will find them in the "interior cabins" section- not oceanview.   The only interior/promenade room I would ever consider would be the Ben & Jerry's Sweet *Suite".  That's hard to get though. Still, on my bucket list for someday.

We managed to snag this room on Independence.  It came with some lovely perks. 😉

Great review and love, love, love your pictures!  We are on in seven weeks and I can't wait!  We are staying in Condado for two night pre-cruise.  How did San Juan look overall?  We are hopeful that hurricane recovery continues well and most places are open for business.  

Ship looks to be in good condition.  Did you see any of the entertainment?  What shows were on board?  My theatrical daughter loves the shows.