Full English Breakfast?

Hi All,

Its been about 7 years since I was last on RC so cant really remember but will I be able to get an attempt at a full english breakfast?

From what I recall, bacon was the streaky type (does the job) cant remember what the sausgaes were like? Fried eggs, no problem. What about fried mushrooms, baked beans and pushing my luck here but black pudding?

I don't recall seeing black pudding but everything else was available on the Wind Jammer. I have never been impressed with cruise ship bacon but it is there. The sausage was okay. I believe that I saw sausage gravy but I didn't try it.

It depends where you are sailing from, if it's out of Southampton everything is available even the black pudding and proper sausages and bacon. We've also had everything on a few other sailings usually if there are a high number of Brits onboard. 

Just now, kernow said:

It depends where you are sailing from, if it's out of Southampton everything is available even the black pudding and proper sausages and bacon. We've also had everything on a few other sailings usually if there are a high number of Brits onboard. 

Oh really? We did look at doing a canaries one out of southamptom but was pretty much the same price to fly to the US and do a Caribbean one

23 minutes ago, mcoler181 said:

Hi All,

Its been about 7 years since I was last on RC so cant really remember but will I be able to get an attempt at a full english breakfast?

From what I recall, bacon was the streaky type (does the job) cant remember what the sausgaes were like? Fried eggs, no problem. What about fried mushrooms, baked beans and pushing my luck here but black pudding?

I've seen all but the fried mushrooms on all of our transatlantic cruises, from Barcelona and Rome.

• Like 1

I'm almost certain I saw fried mushrooms on Adventure in March, maybe not every day, but they were there. If you can't find them on the buffet, go to the omelet making station. They have mushrooms there. Ask them to fry some for you.

• Like 1

On Oasis last year, they had "Proper" bacon, every other day, baked beans and fried tomatoes seemed to be everyday and black pudding once or twice, don't eat mushrooms for breakfast so not sure, although seem to remember them, sausages are the thin American style links in either pork or turkey.

1 hour ago, uksimonusa said:

On Oasis last year, they had "Proper" bacon, every other day, baked beans and fried tomatoes seemed to be everyday and black pudding once or twice, don't eat mushrooms for breakfast so not sure, although seem to remember them, sausages are the thin American style links in either pork or turkey.

Would be great if they had the proper stuff.

• Clarea changed the title to Full English Breakfast?
1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

They had a full English (including black pudding) on the Symphony from Miami a few months back, but not on the Harmony this month. It’s kinda strange that provisioning is so inconsistent. . 

Yeah it is, they might judge it on the % of English passengers?

Hello,

'English' bacon is available in both MDR and Windjammer but NOT room service. The problem is that it is cooked either under a grill or in the oven and the rashers are overlapped and become 'welded' to one another during cooking so a self-serve single slice in the Windjammer is an impossibility.

Sausages vary in quality dramatically. Post Indy refurb the 'English Bangers' were sourced from Germany and had a taste hitherto unknown to man. What's more they are just pointed in the general direction of the grill and never spend any time under it.

Fried bread is not always available in the Windjammer - it seems to alternate with French Toast. The finish varies - it is not usually fried but 'deep fried'. When available it is better than P&O's whose fried bread is over an inch thick.

Avoid Corned Beef Hash. Needless to say mine is best, but there seems to be no set recipe on RCI as I've unearthed any mixture of vegetables in it, and it comes in a variety of colours!

Regards,

Cublet

Edited by cublet
I forgot.
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I've seen all but the fried mushrooms on all of our transatlantic cruises, from Barcelona and Rome.

I agree with this...maybe they substitute the roasted tomato half for the mushrooms?  I have also see black pudding and the other English breakfast items occasionally when there is a large number of UK residents onboard no matter where the cruise originates.  Hope ou find what you want on your cruise!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rala said:

I agree with this...maybe they substitute the roasted tomato half for the mushrooms?  I have also see black pudding and the other English breakfast items occasionally when there is a large number of UK residents onboard no matter where the cruise originates.  Hope ou find what you want on your cruise!

Great, thank you. Not the end of the world if not.

12 minutes ago, Rala said:

...maybe they substitute the roasted tomato half for the mushrooms?  ...

I see roasted tomato halves at breakfast on every RC cruise, irrespective of the availability of any other English type breakfast items.

• Like 2

Just now, Host Clarea said:

I see roasted tomato halves at breakfast on every RC cruise, irrespective of the availability of any other English type breakfast items.

Yeah, now that I think about it, you are right, Bob.  I guess I am remembering having the tomatoes on breakfast plates in England.  Thanks for clarifying.  

14 minutes ago, mcoler181 said:

Not very traditional to a Full English but adding a good old American hash brown to the mix goes down a treat.

I have to say that I have come to prefer the English bacon to the American variety.

On the Freedom in March they had different theme nights in the Windjammer at night.  One night was British night.  My kids got a real kick out of seeing the sign on the "Spotted Dick" in the dessert section.  After she took a selfie with the sign, there was a line up of 10 others who wanted to do the same...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mcoler181 said:

Hi All,

No fried mushrooms but sauteed mushrooms were on the menu every morning in the MDR on our March Freedom cruise. 

15 hours ago, mcoler181 said:

Not very traditional to a Full English but adding a good old American hash brown to the mix goes down a treat.

Hello,

The MDR Hash Browns are 'home made'. They are flat and about the same size and shape as a beer mat. You usually don't have to ask for them as they come as dressing along with half a grilled tomato. To my mind, or stomach, they are too thin to have any taste.

The Windjammer Hash Browns are as you buy in a supermarket's freezer section. I have seen two types - round and triangular(ish). I prefer the triangular ones as the corners get nice and crunchy.

Regards,

Cublet