Am I Overthinking a Potential Privacy/Security Concern?

Just a thought. You know, on certain social media sites where there's those set up pages for cruisers and their interests - even some with specific cruises and dates.....someone recently asked "So, when and where is your next cruise?" To my dismay I see lots of people commenting, willingly posting the cruise, ship, and date of their upcoming cruises - without thinking beforehand that their full names are attached.

Scenario: "Joe Smith" calls Royal after reading that "Joe Smith on the cruise page is on _____ cruise:

....."Yeah, we're booked on the upcoming cruise on the following date....my significant other knows the booking number, I don't...."
"OK Joe, we see you and xxxx are booked here. What do you want to do?"

Because there was that one time it happened to me. All I did was give RCL our name and I actually at that point in time didn't have our booking number. The agent literally used my name, then asked me for the number....I told him that I didn't have it. But from there, we made changes to the itinerary anyway.

And so I'll leave you to post (or just imagine) what can happen from there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, later said:

I would worry more about your home being burglarizes when your gone.

That's an absolute concern indeed.....we're on social media but we always hold off on posting pics of where we're at....but I realize it's hard for me when my band's doing a gig, I'm on vacay, the temp bass player's in....and the singer will say "John's out on another one of his cruises....."

I never post when I'm going anywhere using my real name.  You'll see my upcoming trips on here and I have an account on the disboards where I post because we do go to Disney,  but never, ever where my real name is used.  It's just common sense. I see all kinds of posts on open pages and even group ones.  People seem to think group pages are safe, they're not, anyone can join.  I work for a Gov agency that really pushes education about cyber security and the things people post amaze me.  There is just too much risk.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

They usually want more than just that when you call the call centre about your cruise.

Yep, like birthday, which is another thing that people should not disclose on a public web site.

• Like 2

I will never understand the need for people to post everything happening in their lives on social media. The people who I want to know my plans know them. I have no need for strangers and distant associates to know my every plan and move. I just don't get it. 

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I am tired of being scared.  While I don't go out of my way to create problems,  remember it happens to an amazingly small percentage of people.  

But it would suck if it happened to you.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lowbass said:

I will never understand the need for people to post everything happening in their lives on social media. The people who I want to know my plans know them. I have no need for strangers and distant associates to know my every plan and move. I just don't get it. 

I post most of my vacation plans on Facebook mainly to see if anybody wants to join us. We've had some great cruises where friends joined us, and on our recent land trip to Japan we got some great advice from friends who had traveled there before.

I also occasionally, though less often, also post in travel groups I'm a member of. Again, usually to see if there are people already going on the cruise or that may want to join.

I'm not super worried for a few reasons. 1) Our reservations are booked through our travel agent, so changes aren't as easy to be made anyway. 2) We have a home security system and a pet sitter anytime we go on vacation, so I'm not worried about people finding out where I live and when I'll be on vacation. 3) On the internet, if you try hard enough you can find a ton of info on pretty much anybody. I don't scream out my personal info, but at the same time I don't worry too much about some of it getting out. It's an exercise in futility. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrMarc said:

I am tired of being scared.  While I don't go out of my way to create problems,  remember it happens to an amazingly small percentage of people.  

It's not about "being scared".  It's about being careful.  No stranger needs to know what your vacation schedule is.  You could be that "small percentage".  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, awestover89 said:

I post most of my vacation plans on Facebook mainly to see if anybody wants to join us. We've had some great cruises where friends joined us, and on our recent land trip to Japan we got some great advice from friends who had traveled there before.

I also occasionally, though less often, also post in travel groups I'm a member of. Again, usually to see if there are people already going on the cruise or that may want to join.

I'm not super worried for a few reasons. 1) Our reservations are booked through our travel agent, so changes aren't as easy to be made anyway. 2) We have a home security system and a pet sitter anytime we go on vacation, so I'm not worried about people finding out where I live and when I'll be on vacation. 3) On the internet, if you try hard enough you can find a ton of info on pretty much anybody. I don't scream out my personal info, but at the same time I don't worry too much about some of it getting out. It's an exercise in futility. 

Home security systems aren't perfect by a long shot.  We have one too, but I still don't advertise our vacation plans to complete strangers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johnjen said:

Because there was that one time it happened to me. All I did was give RCL our name and I actually at that point in time didn't have our booking number. The agent literally used my name, then asked me for the number....I told him that I didn't have it. But from there, we made changes to the itinerary anyway.

My question here.... what does somebody have to gain by making changes to your itinerary?

So I find out your name, your cruise date and your partner's name. I might even know some more information about you so that I can call up RCI and pretend to be you.

What can I gain by calling up and changing your itinerary or adding removing things on your cruise planner? 

As others have noted, of more importance is telling the social media world that your house might be empty for two weeks while you're away.

• Like 1

LOL.. if you have your security settings right, those people on the groups can see your name only. Not worried about them burglarizing my home. Those groups are actually a lot more civilized than a lot of the conversations on this board. (some, not all)

I could post my name and address on those sites, and all that would happen to a would be burglar, is that they would run into my dog sitter, and have a new found understanding of the stand your ground law. 😉

Edited by Mikew0805
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I joined my Facebook cruise page using a separate FB account with a different identity and provided no personal information in my profile.I don't want strangers having access to my personal pictures or comments plus I'm not obligated to meet up or run into anyone in the group since they don't know who I am.  We are all going on the same cruise so we share information based on that. My house is empty for the majority of the day. If anyone wants to vandalize the house all they have to do is monitor our traffic pattern to find out when we aren't home.  Many elderly are vandalized over the phone with fake medicare , IRS and Social security calls requesting their social security number. I can't tell you how many times the IRS has left a message on my phone. The other day on my cell phone the caller ID showed a phone number from a beauty spa. Since I didn't answer it it went to voice mail. The message claimed that my social security number has been hacked and I should call to reactivate it. I guess I will see what happens when I turn 65 and have to apply for medicare. But I know that the IRS and Social Security don't make phone calls so better luck with the next call.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

I agree with the people who prefer to limit their exposure.  Part of my reasoning like BMD is my exposure thru work and the awareness I have.  There used to be a great site for people that overshare called pleaserobme.com   they took all the social media postings from foursquare, facebook twitter etc..  so you could see where people lived and where they were.

One other thing to be aware of an Uber driver a while ago was caught trying to rob the home of people he just took to the airport.

Don't put your home address on your luggage tags use your work address if possible or a relative you don't like in case someone uses the address to check out homes to rob knowing the people are away.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever googled their full name?  My 86yr old father who is still sharp enough to know a phone scam wondered why he was getting all of these phone calls. I told him to google his name. We have the same name so naturally it linked us. I nearly gave the man a heart attack when all the personal information came up including his net worth, residence, birth date and family members. His brother's information came up and he made call him to let him know. My uncle was not surprised at all. he had already googled his name years ago. He does have a facebook account and tells my father of my whereabouts.  My father doesn't have a social media account and only uses his tablet for Youtube home repairs, recipes and news reports. You don't have to be on social media to give out personal informant someone is already doing it for you.

If someone wanted to hack into my reservation and purchase the deluxe drink package or pay off my balance with their credit card I wouldn't fight them on it.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Has anyone ever googled their full name?  My 86yr old father who is still sharp enough to know a phone scam wondered why he was getting all of these phone calls. I told him to google his name. We have the same name so naturally it linked us. I nearly gave the man a heart attack when all the personal information came up including his net worth, residence, birth date and family members. His brother's information came up and he made call him to let him know. My uncle was not surprised at all. he had already googled his name years ago. He does have a facebook account and tells my father of my whereabouts.  My father doesn't have a social media account and only uses his tablet for Youtube home repairs, recipes and news reports. You don't have to be on social media to give out personal informant someone is already doing it for you.

If someone wanted to hack into my reservation and purchase the deluxe drink package or pay off my balance with their credit card I wouldn't fight them on it.

Yup. When we were getting ready to rent the house we currently live in all I originally had was the first name of the landlord and the address of the property. After about 30 minutes of Googling I had his full name, the addresses of other property he owned and purchase/tax information for all of them, his political affiliation, spouses name, two previous jobs, a previous address, and his son's name. 

15 minutes ago, fredflint said:

I agree with the people who prefer to limit their exposure.  Part of my reasoning like BMD is my exposure thru work and the awareness I have.  There used to be a great site for people that overshare called pleaserobme.com   they took all the social media postings from foursquare, facebook twitter etc..  so you could see where people lived and where they were.

One other thing to be aware of an Uber driver a while ago was caught trying to rob the home of people he just took to the airport.

Don't put your home address on your luggage tags use your work address if possible or a relative you don't like in case someone uses the address to check out homes to rob knowing the people are away.

Taxi drivers, Airport van drivers, Valet parking attendants also have this information. All the valet parking attendant has to do is look at the insurance card in the glove compartment. If someone wants to rob you they will. That's what insurance is for and any thing that can't be replaced should be kept at the bank in a safe deposit box.  Anyone who would attempt to rob my house would be very disappointed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, awestover89 said:

Yup. When we were getting ready to rent the house we currently live in all I originally had was the first name of the landlord and the address of the property. After about 30 minutes of Googling I had his full name, the addresses of other property he owned and purchase/tax information for all of them, his political affiliation, spouses name, two previous jobs, a previous address, and his son's name. 

Yep you won't find most of that information in a Facebook profile.

• Like 1