Will I be allowed to take wax melts onboard?

We are flying from the UK and are spending a few days in Orlando before we sail and was hoping to do a spot of shopping as the price for candles/wax melts is SO much cheaper than here in the UK.

I know candles are not allowed onboard but when I asked if I can take wax melts onboard the reply I got was

"Flammable items aren't allowed onboard."

Wax melts aren't flammable but I don't want to have them confiscated. Do you think I will be allowed to take them onboard.

I would thing liquid wax might not be a good idea. Have you though of using a Air Wick Stickem or a Glad Plug In? And just buy the wax melts on your way back to the airport for the trip home. Happy Sailing!!!!

Edited by BlueSkySailing

2 hours ago, BlueSkySailing said:

I would thing liquid wax might not be a good idea. Have you though of using a Air Wick Stickem or a Glad Plug In? And just buy the wax melts on your way back to the airport for the trip home. Happy Sailing!!!!

She isn't talking about liquid wax. She said wax melts. 

4 hours ago, BlueSkySailing said:

If the Glad plug-in uses heating element, it may not be allowable.  I looked through the FAQ's while they are not explicitly mentioned as not allowed, there is this (see bold)...

Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However ""torch lighters"" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.

• Like 1

Isn"t the OP asking if she can purchase "wax melts" in Orlando to use at home in UK?  OP stated they were much cheaper in Orlando.  I did not get impression they were to be used on ship but to be used at home post cruise. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Isn"t the OP asking if she can purchase "wax melts" in Orlando to use at home in UK?  OP stated they were much cheaper in Orlando.  I did not get impression they were to be used on ship but to be used at home post cruise. 

Exactly. No problem

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Not really sure what a "wax melt" is.   Probably some crazy Euro thing.

But the real question I ask is:  How will they even know you have them?

Google surcharge turns this up.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=KOLYXOOwCIaOsQWb4aLoCA&q=wax+melts&oq=wax+melts&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l10.1762.5040..8341...0.0..0.336.1372.3j3j2j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131.xp5cn2zqI4k

10 hours ago, BlueSkySailing said:

4 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Exactly, BlueSkySailing brought it up.

14 hours ago, dltaeg said:

We are flying from the UK and are spending a few days in Orlando before we sail and was hoping to do a spot of shopping as the price for candles/wax melts is SO much cheaper than here in the UK.

I know candles are not allowed onboard but when I asked if I can take wax melts onboard the reply I got was

"Flammable items aren't allowed onboard."

Wax melts aren't flammable but I don't want to have them confiscated. Do you think I will be allowed to take them onboard.

OP you'll have no trouble purchasing them in Orlando (cheaply bought at Walmart or Target is where I buy mine) and take them home to the UK with you. The're just wax..no one will notice or care, and I understand you're not going to use (melt) them on the ship.

As the others have stated, if you are just buying the wax, it shouldn't be an issue.  If you are also wanting to purchase the melting pot (I don't know what else to call it, lol) I wonder if you can check it in and leave it with them much like alcohol is kept by them until the end of cruise? 

Same as the last time this was asked, best would be to spend an extra day at the end, and do the shopping for these items then.

Last time, long thread, was about candles, but not for use on board.

Again, easier to buy on the way home.

Edited by SRF

14 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Not really sure what a "wax melt" is.   Probably some crazy Euro thing.

But the real question I ask is:  How will they even know you have them?

DUH!  They will know she has them when her bags are  x-rayed/scanned.  Put your thinking cap on, little Matty.

But unless someone here know what scanner they use, no one knows how wax shows up in the scanner.  I have read that peanut butter shows up the same way plastic explosives looks so they always have to check.  Electrical wires are pretty easy to spot.  The density and shape of the wax  as compared to other common items is up for grabs, I would suspect they go for shape more than anything else.

11 hours ago, Rala said:

DUH!  They will know she has them when her bags are  x-rayed/scanned.  Put your thinking cap on, little Matty.

And just how do you know they will see them on the X-ray? They are little wax things (usually square or rectangular) that don't have the metal around them!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KimA75 said:

As the others have stated, if you are just buying the wax, it shouldn't be an issue.  If you are also wanting to purchase the melting pot (I don't know what else to call it, lol) I wonder if you can check it in and leave it with them much like alcohol is kept by them until the end of cruise? 

Given that the OP is from the UK, it's less likely that they will be purchasing a warmer, as the electrical outlets are different and would require a converter.  

17 hours ago, SRF said:

Same as the last time this was asked, best would be to spend an extra day at the end, and do the shopping for these items then.

Last time, long thread, was about candles, but not for use on board.

Again, easier to buy on the way home.

These are not candles.  They are nothing like candles.  They are, basically, potpourri.  

Stopping to shop somewhere on the way to the airport with a bunch of luggage is in no way, shape, or form, "easier" to do.  

OP -- you will be fine with the melts.  They are not restricted, and nobody will care about them because you're not actually going to be warming them up.  

To the OP, you should be fine.  They frankly aren't looking for this.

But it does make me wonder.... I see questions like this a lot, and maybe I just don't appreciate the premiums some of our overseas friends pay on goods back home.  Exactly how much more do you have to pay for these at home that makes it worth the effort and hassle to stock up on them prior to a cruise vacation, only to lug them back home?  Is the price double? Triple? And really, how much is that?

It's kind of like seeing people get all excited for duty free liquor at 20-30% off the retail prices back home.  I'm all for saving a little money on some bourbon, but the hassle of getting it back home totally negates the savings.

Just buy them and leave them wrapped in the bag. Simple as that. Everyone's getting into a huge conundrum over a simple question.

I wish the OP an awesome time and a fun cruise.

22 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Everyone's getting into a huge conundrum over a simple question.

Umm.... someone asked a question,  people shared their thoughts.  I'm not quite sure how any of that elevates to the level of "huge conundrum".  But thanks internet referee guy!😐

• Haha 1