Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
BuckeyeMark

LIVE NOW. Caribbean Princess!

Recommended Posts

Their inability to get the A/C working reliably is really bothering me.  We were on last summer and it was warm, finally removing the diffuser helped some, and we are booked again the week of July 4th.  I'm going to be really unhappy. 

 

Thanks for your report though.  We found the world market buffet to be a worse setup than the horizon court from previous years, but I know that is subjective for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Their inability to get the A/C working reliably is really bothering me.  We were on last summer and it was warm, finally removing the diffuser helped some, and we are booked again the week of July 4th.  I'm going to be really unhappy. 

 

Thanks for your report though.  We found the world market buffet to be a worse setup than the horizon court from previous years, but I know that is subjective for everyone.


My guess is they'll have this solved by July 4.  They did a lot to the boat in the recent "wet dock" which shows Princess wants to keep this boat up and running as one of their premiere boats.  They aren't going to let AC issues be an ongoing problem, imo.

But I would be aware of it and if my AC was acting up I'd be on top of it right away with guest relations and my cabin steward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Their inability to get the A/C working reliably is really bothering me.  We were on last summer and it was warm, finally removing the diffuser helped some, and we are booked again the week of July 4th.  I'm going to be really unhappy. 

 

Thanks for your report though.  We found the world market buffet to be a worse setup than the horizon court from previous years, but I know that is subjective for everyone.

We just sailed on the CB this past week (May 18-25) and we experienced no AC  problems.  Our cabin - midship Dolfin deck - was always cold along with our dining room.  Today at the “final” breakfast it was a bit warm in the World Market but the place was packed. 

I did not hear anyone complain about the AC and I would never had guessed that the previous week there were problems. Enjoy your cruise. We had a fantastic time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Forgot to add the bad news: there were some air conditioning problems....

On Thursday the buffet area was warm.  Definitely warm.  

Our room (four decks below the buffet) was warm too that night.  And Friday night it was flat out.  No air.  

 

We called the steward and vacated for cooler climes for a while, came back and it was working.

So .. don't want to alarm anyone but don't think the AC issues are all worked out yet.  Certainly didn't hear anything about massive deck wide outages but we did experience a little trouble.

Interesting, BuckeyeMark.  When we returned to our room on Friday afternoon it was warmer than usual. Everyday when we returned to our cabin we found that the steward had pushed the AC down to its coldest position and it was freezing.  On Friday he did not do that. It was actually set in the “red” range. I didn’t think any thing of it and the room cooled down while we were at dinner. I wonder now  if the AC was down on Friday for everyone?  Whatever, it was short lived and I didn’t give it a second thought until I read your post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

 

 

* The Ultimate Ship's Tour cost $150 and is worth every penny of it.  We got chef's jackets, two photo albums, a notepad and assorted other minor items,  and a bunch of pics the ship's photographer took on the tour.  You get to go to the bridge, the print shop, the front moor station, the engine room, the infirmary and more.  It's amazing.
 

 

I assume you mean the engine control room, not the engine room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

The Horizon Court swap to World Market works and was needed.

I haven't been to Horizon Court in over a decade but will be on Caribbean in July / August. How does World Market differ from Horizon Court? Is it much more than a change in names?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ombud said:

I haven't been to Horizon Court in over a decade but will be on Caribbean in July / August. How does World Market differ from Horizon Court? Is it much more than a change in names?

We were on the Caribbean. It's the new name for the buffet. The flow is better. Some different selections that we enjoyed, and some youth friendly food. We liked the sandwiches for lunch. The omelette station was moved into the the old Cafe Caribe, now Planks & Steamers section. This section is no charge during breakfast & lunch. For dinner it opens as the specialty restaurants, $12. I know some really don't like the buffets and hardly ever have anything good to say about them, but personally we think the change was a plus. All the way aft, port & starboard, are two soft chair lounge areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on the CB late last year.  The WM has a totally new layout and is larger than the old HC.  The Cafe Caribe is now Planks and Steamers specialty restaurants for $12 each at dinner.  For breakfast and lunch the area is open to all and free.  Breakfast they will prepare omelets and fried eggs to order while at lunch it is wok time.  Pick what you want and give it to them to prepare for you.  The WM at lunch is now bigger on prepared sandwiches (served in cardboard trays) and other lighter foods.  It does not  have as large a prepared offering as the old HC.  If you are looking for a heavy lunch, you may be disappointed. 

 

Out by the main pool is now Slice Pizzeria with the usual pizza offerings and a few other Italian dishes at lunch and dinner.  The grill is now the Salty Dog Grill that still offers hotdogs and hamburgers along with other offerings such as the Ernesto Burger which does have a charge but the other offerings are free as usual. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, satxdiver said:

We were on the CB late last year.  The WM has a totally new layout and is larger than the old HC.  The Cafe Caribe is now Planks and Steamers specialty restaurants for $12 each at dinner.  For breakfast and lunch the area is open to all and free.  Breakfast they will prepare omelets and fried eggs to order while at lunch it is wok time.  Pick what you want and give it to them to prepare for you.  The WM at lunch is now bigger on prepared sandwiches (served in cardboard trays) and other lighter foods.  It does not  have as large a prepared offering as the old HC.  If you are looking for a heavy lunch, you may be disappointed. 

 

Out by the main pool is now Slice Pizzeria with the usual pizza offerings and a few other Italian dishes at lunch and dinner.  The grill is now the Salty Dog Grill that still offers hotdogs and hamburgers along with other offerings such as the Ernesto Burger which does have a charge but the other offerings are free as usual. 

Can you still get chicken, beef, fish at lunch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, In Toronto said:

Is the dining room open at lunch - Port and sea days?

One DR is open for lunch on sea days. Closed for lunch on port days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

Can you still get chicken, beef, fish at lunch?

Where?

In the DR's it depends on the menu, but there is normally a fish and chicken selection. I think burgers are also available every day.

At the buffet selections of beef, chicken and fish are mostly available. Not the same every day.

For the Salty Dog Grill here is the menu

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/ships/products/menus/Salty-Dog-Grill-Menu.pdf 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on the CB for 38 days from November 2018 to January 2019. We found the World Marketplace to be a pleasant buffet. Some hits, some misses but a good variety of choices. Not really a "meat and potatoes" kind of buffet - lots of international choices, actual vegetables (very unusual on a cruise ship buffet!), and then a variety of meats, cheese, salads, sandwiches, etc.

 

47937491153_e5e1bbd35b_c.jpg

 

47937479302_24734c998f_c.jpg

 

47937482097_ab5d2d2b9c_c.jpg

 

47937484912_c18bc84fbe_c.jpg

 

47937486317_6fbb36d843_c.jpg

 

47937487292_2bcaa2df25_c.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, meatloafsfan said:

47937487381_6c02210be2_c.jpg

 

47937491136_56b4929f50_c.jpg

 

Cereal and milk available all the time:

47937492441_3eb798d0ee_c.jpg

 

Great photos. Thanks for posting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the answers on food.  I have been sailing Regal?royal Princess for our past 14 cruises and I am use to their buffet at lunch.

I like the choices that are pictured.  I try never to eat a cold cut  sandwich for lunch (even at home).  Thee looks like there are plenty of choices for all to be happy.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting photos of the buffet in the World fresh marketplace.    Greatly appreciated.  I would also like to see some  dinner menus from the main dining room if possible.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, howdydoo47 said:

Thanks for posting photos of the buffet in the World fresh marketplace.    Greatly appreciated.  I would also like to see some  dinner menus from the main dining room if possible.

 

 

 

Stand by.  I have pics of a couple of nights of the MDR menus from last week.  Prolly won't get posted till Tuesday due to the holiday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

Thanks for the answers on food.  I have been sailing Regal?royal Princess for our past 14 cruises and I am use to their buffet at lunch.

The buffets on the Regal/Royal have way more options than what is on the WM, as in 3x more options for you to choose from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know when formal nights are for the western Caribbean cruise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skcl4 said:

Does anyone know when formal nights are for the western Caribbean cruise?

 

Last week it was Monday (sea day) and Thursday (also a sea day).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are on her now.  Tonight (Sunday) and Wednesday night are formal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...