Summit Suite - a former True Believer returns after the Haven, Yacht Club and Viking!

Dr. Cocktail

7 hours ago, misterkevin said:

I'm excited about the changes! I'll be on the Equinox 7/27. I understand they're a work in progress and will evolve with feedback and use.

I wonder how many of the people who consistently complain about the new designs are outside of Celebrity's target age group of 35-55? 

Everything ages and needs updating every decade or so. Unfortunately, some of us haven't updated our expectations to the realities of contemporary commercial interior design. 

I'm not saying I love the new design. I'm withholding my judgment until I can experience the space in person. 

When all you can see are the faults in everything, that typically says more about you than the world around you. 

Hi Kevin!

I think that Equinox may turn out to be a nice "hybrid" design as most of the Revolution will go unfulfilled. My problem with Summit wasn't the "look" - I thought that the colours and patterns were quite handsome. My problem with the design was how shockingly impractical a lot of it was. Something being good looking doesn't  necessarily have to be mutually exclusive from something that works well! 

Alsmez has just posted a SUPERB review detailing her Summit sailing and the new design .....

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thanks so much for the great review.  I was very happy that your experience in the Yacht Clubs Of MSC was so positive.  The YC concept is, in my mind, the perfect solution for cruisers who want a luxury experience with access to all the big ship attractions.  It is also worth noting that MSC is a work in progress.  They are continually improving the negatives into positives.  Their food and service has continually improved and will continue to improve over time.  

Thanks!

MSC is most definitely a work in progress. They REALLY want to improve and are looking at all aspects of the cruise experience. They're also an interesting company that they are owned by a single family. No pleasing shareholders or worrying about the stock price . As such, they're willing to take some losses (if required) to build up the product over the long run.

I've done 4 YC's in the last 18 months and have a lot more booked ....

20 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Hi Kevin!

I think that Equinox may turn out to be a nice "hybrid" design as most of the Revolution will go unfulfilled. My problem with Summit wasn't the "look" - I thought that the colours and patterns were quite handsome. My problem with the design was how shockingly impractical a lot of it was. Something being good looking doesn't  necessarily have to be mutually exclusive from something that works well! 

Alsmez has just posted a SUPERB review detailing her Summit sailing and the new design .....

I just read her detailed review. It's honest and thorough! After having sailed on the Summit, it makes me a little sad that it seems these design changes were neither tested with real Celebrity cruisers before such large investments nor properly thought out. The good news is that they're constantly making changes to the things they can based on feedback. 

This Captain's Club newsletter was just published, and it references some of the changes they're making to the Edge. Mille, Summit, and the soon to be tested Equinox are sure to be works in progress. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/blog/exclusive-captains-club-newsletter-may-2019

Edited by misterkevin
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, misterkevin said:

I just read her detailed review. It's honest and thorough! After having sailed on the Summit, it makes me a little sad that it seems these design changes were neither tested with real Celebrity cruisers before such large investments nor properly thought out. The good news is that they're constantly making changes to the things they can based on feedback. 

This Captain's Club newsletter was just published, and it references some of the changes they're making to the Edge. Mille, Summit, and the soon to be tested Equinox are sure to be works in progress. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/blog/exclusive-captains-club-newsletter-may-2019

I think that a lot of the indoor Retreat furniture will ultimately be tossed. My partner and I are both 6 feet tall and weigh 330 pounds - combined!  Alsmez's description of the furniture made me laugh out loud.

It's just so bizarre - I'm admittedly a bit spoiled and have always purchased custom made furniture and just ordered three pieces two months ago. We literally sat in, laid down and figured out how difficult or easy it was to get into or out of every piece and whether it would  work for our shorter, female friends. Only after everything was "test driven" did we move onto the colours and options. Did no-one in Celebrity's design department do this?  As an observation, the general population is getting larger, not smaller ....

Would you mind reposting the link? It doesn't seem to work for me ....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I think that a lot of the indoor Retreat furniture will ultimately be tossed. My partner and I are both 6 feet tall and weigh 330 pounds - combined!  Alsmez's description of the furniture made me laugh out loud.

It's just so bizarre - I'm admittedly a bit spoiled and have always purchased custom made furniture and just ordered three pieces two months ago. We literally sat in, laid down and figured out how difficult or easy it was to get into or out of every piece and whether it would  work for our shorter, female friends. Only after everything was "test driven" did we move onto the colours and options. Did no-one in Celebrity's design department do this?  As an observation, the general population is getting larger, not smaller ....

Would you mind reposting the link? It doesn't seem to work for me ....

Try it now. I edited it. It should work.

As for furniture, we are the same way at home. We just bought new furniture. We sat in at least 100 chairs at multiple furniture stores before we found ones we liked. Then we took fabric swatches into the room and looked at them for a couple of weeks before we said yes and had them made. Is this is a testament to the Celebrity customer mentality? Maybe, but these are things we have to live with, and they better work. Even more so for commercial design!

34 minutes ago, misterkevin said:

We sat in at least 100 chairs at multiple furniture stores before we found ones we liked. Then we took fabric swatches into the room and looked at them for a couple of weeks before we said yes and had them made.

You put us to shame!

I wish there was a camera to capture my partner's face when he saw the "Barbi" chairs in the Retreat  .... he really was "No?!" "Really?" and then laughed for the next twenty minutes ....

Not so much laughter with the bathroom .......

59 minutes ago, misterkevin said:

As for furniture, we are the same way at home. We just bought new furniture. We sat in at least 100 chairs at multiple furniture stores before we found ones we liked. Then we took fabric swatches into the room and looked at them for a couple of weeks before we said yes and had them made. Is this is a testament to the Celebrity customer mentality? Maybe, but these are things we have to live with, and they better work. Even more so for commercial design!

Lol, we almost got a divorce shortly before this cruise because we needed a new sofa. After six separate trips to three different stores and at least 100 different configurations, fabrics, arm styles, seat depths and cushion fillers considered and reconsidered, my husband was ready to murder me. We actually took delivery the day after we got home and THANK GOODNESS, he loves it. It's a damn good thing because I can't afford a divorce lawyer after buying this sofa!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Thanks!

MSC is most definitely a work in progress. They REALLY want to improve and are looking at all aspects of the cruise experience. They're also an interesting company that they are owned by a single family. No pleasing shareholders or worrying about the stock price . As such, they're willing to take some losses (if required) to build up the product over the long run.

I've done 4 YC's in the last 18 months and have a lot more booked ....

Here here, we’ll stated Doc.  MSC has a great group in management...from the owners right down the ranks of management to all the senior onboard management.  Lest we forget to mention the officers onboard.

11 hours ago, misterkevin said:

I'm excited about the changes! I'll be on the Equinox 7/27. I understand they're a work in progress and will evolve with feedback and use.

I wonder how many of the people who consistently complain about the new designs are outside of Celebrity's target age group of 35-55? 

Everything ages and needs updating every decade or so. Unfortunately, some of us haven't updated our expectations to the realities of contemporary commercial interior design. 

I'm not saying I love the new design. I'm withholding my judgment until I can experience the space in person. 

When all you can see are the faults in everything, that typically says more about you than the world around you. 

I don't think age of the patrons is the reason for most of the  preview critiques. Most folks of all ages  do not object to new, modern fresh concepts but functionality is a primary requirement...esp for  ship cabins which are small and must be well planned out...

First cruisers will soon be filing their reports and posting photos!  Looking forward to that b/c Equinox is one of our fav ships....hoping to hear about BLU  spa, mdr , Sky   & Solarium..

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

We overheard one of the shuttle drivers telling the passenger next to him that Airbnb was becoming extremely popular on the island. I just checked and the prices are shockingly reasonable!

Ours isn't an Airbnb.  It's a cottage colony that has been there for years.  We honeymooned there in 1969!  There were 4 cottages at the time, but now there are only 2.  We rent directly from the owners.  But I have heard from others that the Airbnbs are reasonable.  Of course, you don't get all the extras you would at a resort, but for those prices, I can do without the extras!

16 hours ago, hcat said:

I don't think age of the patrons is the reason for most of the  preview critiques. Most folks of all ages  do not object to new, modern fresh concepts but functionality is a primary requirement...esp for  ship cabins which are small and must be well planned out...

First cruisers will soon be filing their reports and posting photos!  Looking forward to that b/c Equinox is one of our fav ships....hoping to hear about BLU  spa, mdr , Sky   & Solarium..

I agree. We’re in the target group stated above and I’m shocked X have made so many mistakes that has now resulted in them having to change brand new furniture and spend even more $s putting it right (ultimately, we’ll be paying for all these poor errors of judgement).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, villauk said:

I agree. We’re in the target group stated above and I’m shocked X have made so many mistakes that has now resulted in them having to change brand new furniture and spend even more $s putting it right (ultimately, we’ll be paying for all these poor errors of judgement).

I watched a video on the design process and noted that Celebrity was very proud to tout the Edge as the first ship designed in 3D with VR renderings of the ship interiors available to "walk through" and "experience." I suspect some of the real-world shortcomings of the choices were lost because perceptions don't match reality. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/celebrity-edge-celebrity-cruises-brand-new-billion-dollar-cruise-ship/

On 5/23/2019 at 10:15 PM, George C said:

We love suite perks on celebrity, but sky suites are really small

Sky Suite on M-Class is 251 sq. feet.  That is really too small to be called a "suite" but whether it is "really small" depends on what you are comparing it with.  For example, a Yacht Club Deluxe suite on the MSC Divina is 236 sq. feet.  Of course, the Yacht Club Deluxe suites on the newest MSC ships are a little larger at 269 sq. feet but they are still smaller than Sky Suites on the newest Celebrity ship (the Edge).  Sky suites on the Edge are almost exactly the same size as Princess suites on the Queen Mary.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

Ours isn't an Airbnb.  It's a cottage colony that has been there for years.  We honeymooned there in 1969!  There were 4 cottages at the time, but now there are only 2.  We rent directly from the owners.  But I have heard from others that the Airbnbs are reasonable.  Of course, you don't get all the extras you would at a resort, but for those prices, I can do without the extras!

For those prices, you can easily pay for the extras as required!

• Like 1

Are you saying the sky suites on the Edge are larger than 381 sq. ft. on the QM2 or larger than the 335 sq. ft. On the Queen Victoria and Elizabeth?   These numbers are the minimum size and many Princess Grill Suites are larger.   Of course that size includes the Walk In closest and the balcony.

3 hours ago, misterkevin said:

I watched a video on the design process and noted that Celebrity was very proud to tout the Edge as the first ship designed in 3D with VR renderings of the ship interiors available to "walk through" and "experience." I suspect some of the real-world shortcomings of the choices were lost because perceptions don't match reality. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/celebrity-edge-celebrity-cruises-brand-new-billion-dollar-cruise-ship/

Good evening Kevin!

I was aware of this design tool years ago but .... I have stated this in posts in the past and haven't wavered: forget about Celebrity focus groups, 3-D technology  and Friday 4:15 design meetings. If the cruise lines are serious about good functional design, have their  senior executives spend 24 hours in a fully plumbed and working  cabin prototype.  For example, I think that the Sky Suites would be completely different had Ms. Lutoff-Perlo and Christian Rubio Pinedo spent 24 hours in a mock-up complete with luggage and their families.

2 hours ago, actuarian said:

Sky Suite on M-Class is 251 sq. feet.  That is really too small to be called a "suite" but whether it is "really small" depends on what you are comparing it with.  For example, a Yacht Club Deluxe suite on the MSC Divina is 236 sq. feet.  Of course, the Yacht Club Deluxe suites on the newest MSC ships are a little larger at 269 sq. feet but they are still smaller than Sky Suites on the newest Celebrity ship (the Edge).  Sky suites on the Edge are almost exactly the same size as Princess suites on the Queen Mary.

As someone who has gutted and rebuilt a century home and built my business location from raw concrete, I have to say that while the actual square footage is important, the allocation of square feet is equally important.

Seaside's YC1, The Haven's Spa Suite and Summit's Sky Suite are all pretty much the same in terms of square feet but they all have a completely different "feel". While tastes are different, the Spa Suite felt the most "luxurious" to me because of the the various materials used and the fit and finish. YC1's have an extremely efficient layout but I don't love the colours and materials used. The Summit Sky Suite, while handsome,  obviously had the poorest workmanship with the cheapest materials used.

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, misterkevin said:

One of the hazards of being on the bleeding edge.  One would hope they have learned their lesson.

2 hours ago, actuarian said:

There is no comparison between a sky suite on Celebrity after it has been Hoppenized and a Yacht Club Deluxe suite on MSC.  The Yacht Club suite is intelligently designed, makes excellent use of the space available, has a wonderful shower that does not require you to scale a wall to enter, has actual closets, etc., etc.  Give me the YC suite any time.  And, oooh, those chocolate covered peanuts!  And the chocolate ship.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

There is no comparison between a sky suite on Celebrity after it has been Hoppenized and a Yacht Club Deluxe suite on MSC.  The Yacht Club suite is intelligently designed, makes excellent use of the space available, has a wonderful shower that does not require you to scale a wall to enter, has actual closets, etc., etc.  Give me the YC suite any time.  And, oooh, those chocolate covered peanuts!  And the chocolate ship.

I am going straight to hell ... some snacks still in my kitchen pantry for  "observation" .... !

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Are you saying the sky suites on the Edge are larger than 381 sq. ft. on the QM2 or larger than the 335 sq. ft. On the Queen Victoria and Elizabeth?   These numbers are the minimum size and many Princess Grill Suites are larger.   Of course that size includes the Walk In closest and the balcony.

The QM2 Princess Suite  (including the walk-in closet) is 291 sq ft plus a 90 sq. foot balcony, summing to your total of 381 sq feet.  Sky Suites on the Edge vary in size (depending on whether S1, S2 or S3) between 298 sq. feet and 319 sq feet (excluding the balcony).  The balconies also vary in size between 79 sq feet and 163 sq feet.  Even the smallest possible Edge Sky Suite would have a total of 377 sq feet, including the balcony, and I do not think that there are any that small because the 298 sq foot Edge Sky suites that are smallest inside never have the 79 sq foot balconies.  Nevertheless, the 377 vs. 381 is what I meant by "almost exactly the same size" in my previous post.

• Like 1

Try an all suite ship.  We did. Skip the big buffets, huge crowds, and lines.  All suite ships cater to all your needs seamlessly.  A travel agent told me if you are booking a suite on a ship that has a huge number of nonsuite guests, you are on the wrong ship. 

20 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Try an all suite ship.  We did. Skip the big buffets, huge crowds, and lines.  All suite ships cater to all your needs seamlessly.  A travel agent told me if you are booking a suite on a ship that has a huge number of nonsuite guests, you are on the wrong ship. 

Which lines do you prefer?

How was the value per $ vs the ship within a ship

Have read here that many leave X for an all suites experience because the X suites price/value isn't there

TYIA

What are the demographics Celebrity is chasing now?

Watching the video from "Sunday Morning"s story-- and I realize that RCCL is the parent company...

How do you think they are slicing/dicing the demographics?

If it is true that about 3% of north american res cruise annually, less than 1.5% in the EU and a fractional amount in Asia...and Fang (and RCCL) are bullish...

who are they chasing?

I am elite plus on Celebrity.  Celebrity used to be better. As time has passed, with too many cutbacks, we have moved on.  The straw that broke my back was requesting a shower cap and being told that I couldn’t have one. Same for a pen. Had to go to guest relations to get a pen to fill out laundry slips. Little items that I took for granted had been eliminated. There are still times when traveling with family or friends that we will cruise on Celebrity. As a couple, we will not book Celebrity.  Our last Celebrity cruise was such a disappointment that we have moved on. Added to that, the recent price hikes have made it really easy to move on.  

I like Oceania’s O ships, Marina and Riviera.  All cabins are really suites. Even the smallest cabins are like most suites on other lines. Bathrooms are very big with a separate tub and walk-in shower. Bvlgari soap products, like Celebrity suites, are for everyone. Food and service are outstanding. Specialty restaurants are complimentary with fabulous food. 

I like Windstar’s Star motor ships.  All suites with huge cabins, walk-in closets, and large marble bathrooms most with double sinks. Most have tub shower. Some have just a large shower.  L’Occitane products are for everyone. Only a few real verandas. Some French balconies. Most have large window. On most ships, I like a private veranda. It is my own space away from crowded pool decks. On Windstar, you can get outside quickly and there are plenty of chaises and chairs.  No real need to have a veranda. Service and food on Windstar is really gourmet. No reasonable request is denied.  

Cruising has has become very competitive.  There are many good options.  People are different with a variety of needs and wants. I used to like glitz and loud music. Dressing up was really nice. I have changed.   Now I prefer a more relaxed experience with great food and service.  Good luck, finding your cruise.

• Like 3