Summit Suite - a former True Believer returns after the Haven, Yacht Club and Viking!

Dr. Cocktail

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Thank you.  It is too bad that the new Retreat Lounge is not an upgraded Michael's Club which was really our favorite on the M-Class ships (much better than MC on S-Class). Lots of fond memories there.  The old MC did not have a large bar- perhaps 2 or 3 stools only so not many used it as I recall.  It had a large Nespresso machine on one side.  Has that been taken away too?  What about the refrigerated glass-door cases which had beer, water and sodas- a help yourself area.  Gone too?  The good news is that the Retreat Lounge on Edge is quite nice and spacious with mostly comfortable furniture and a beautiful and private outdoor deck on one side.  Stairs lead up to the Retreat Sundeck from there.  There is no bar in the Retreat Lounge on Edge but it has been reported that they will put one other E-Class ships based on customer feedback.  

There was a large machine but I assumed that it was for the staff to make the coffee! The cases are available for non-alcoholic beverages. Beer is behind the counter.

I have placed some photos here of Seaside's Yacht Club. It's sort-of the reverse Celebrity - ugly sofas in yucky colours but ALL of it stunningly practical and usable.  The downstairs portion is the bar/lounge with a live music area, an outdoor area on deck 16 (!!!) with ZERO wind (remarkable how they engineered that) and the mezzanine is the YC (Luminae equivalent) restaurant.

I'm kinda' happy that most of the Celebrity Loyalists wrinkle their noses at MSC - it helps keep the prices down!

IMG-20180219-075454314-HDR.jpg

IMG-20180219-075458485.jpg

IMG-20180219-075828123.jpg

IMG-20180219-075835485-HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ghstudio said:

Our last two Celebrity cruises are coming up...constellation...then, for the first time in years, no celebrity cruises booked....Princess, Oceania, HAL a river cruise and a VRBO.  I doubt Celebrity cares much.... 

Actually - they do!   I always feel it's important to vote with your wallet  just as you're doing . If enough people do the same, the product will change yet again.

I left Celebrity 6 years ago because they weren't offering what I wanted. I thought that with the new Suite Class  it was time to give them another try and while I didn't love the product, I actually thought that in many respects it was better in some aspects but worse in others.

I was once there - Celebrity was THE only choice - until it wasn't! People won't know what they're missing until they try something new!

• Like 5

On 5/24/2019 at 1:52 PM, dkjretired said:

If there is no bar, where do you get drinks.

Also, I know I’m not alone but one of Celebrity’s biggest bonehead moves in the past few years was removing the Murano type restaurants from the M class ships.

Agreed!

• Like 4

We just disembarked Summit (we were in S2 6124) and our experiences/impressions were almost identical to the OP, down to the chemical steak and the kindergarten chairs! I'll be writing a review later along with a very detailed review of Luminae but suffice it to say, we wouldn't choose Summit again, no matter what cabin.

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder if anyone even sat in these chairs prior to "mass" purchasing them! That chair in the suite with the low back and large seat looked about as uncomfortable as anything I've seen! And all of these chairs with no arms? I'm sorry, but if a chair is not comfortable (and arms are a must in my mind) they can just sit there empty. And the "cube" chairs I've seen in some suites are beyond ridiculous. The bric-a brac in the staterooms are dust collectors and serve no purpose. And no grab bars or shelves in shower/tub? What were they thinking??? 

Going on my 3rd MSC Seaside Yacht Club cruise in November and haven't missed Celebrity one bit. I never thought I would say that after 18 cruises with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alsmez said:

We just disembarked Summit (we were in S2 6124) and our experiences/impressions were almost identical to the OP, down to the chemical steak and the kindergarten chairs! I'll be writing a review later along with a very detailed review of Luminae but suffice it to say, we wouldn't choose Summit again, no matter what cabin.

Will be awaiting for your review as we are on the June 16th sailing.  We are not in a suite, but, since you wouldn't choose Summit again, no matter what cabin, am looking forward to your overall thoughts.  After sailing her last October, I said no more until the revolution.  Thank you.

19 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I'm kinda' happy that most of the Celebrity Loyalists wrinkle their noses at MSC - it helps keep the prices down!

Agree!👍

19 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

IMG-20180219-075454314-HDR.jpg

IMG-20180219-075458485.jpg

IMG-20180219-075828123.jpg

IMG-20180219-075835485-HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the fantastic and informative review.   I had a suite booked on the Summit and because of what you wrote I canceled it and booked a inside cabin on Carnival.

It save me a lot of money.   💰

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, gimletgal said:

I sometimes wonder if anyone even sat in these chairs prior to "mass" purchasing them! That chair in the suite with the low back and large seat looked about as uncomfortable as anything I've seen! And all of these chairs with no arms? I'm sorry, but if a chair is not comfortable (and arms are a must in my mind) they can just sit there empty. And the "cube" chairs I've seen in some suites are beyond ridiculous. The bric-a brac in the staterooms are dust collectors and serve no purpose. And no grab bars or shelves in shower/tub? What were they thinking??? 

Going on my 3rd MSC Seaside Yacht Club cruise in November and haven't missed Celebrity one bit. I never thought I would say that after 18 cruises with them.

I love Seaside but .... MSC doesn't give me much choice in the Caribbean and NO choice in NYC, hence the return to Celebrity!

But .... best value in cruising today!

51 minutes ago, miched said:

Thanks for the fantastic and informative review.   I had a suite booked on the Summit and because of what you wrote I canceled it and booked a inside cabin on Carnival.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Now, be nice!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Alsmez said:

It's interesting .... I’m not the most frequent poster but I follow these boards daily. I appreciate everyone who takes the time and effort to post reviews, especially live blogs. I’ve been fascinated how when I placed this review,  there's been very little response,  neither positive or negative  from  most of the "regulars" who have literally posted thousands of times on almost every arcane subject. In this case, I think that they have chosen to stay silent here because I made some factual observations on some very real problems on their favourite cruise line. Thanks for backing me up on this!

• Like 1

I enjoyed reading your review, commentary, and pictures!!

I have the Summit booked for November.  I've actually had S1 6145 booked for about a year as of right now.  ACTUALLY Freedom of the Seas was my first choice as I like their suite staterooms a little better.  No doubt a GS trumps a Sky suite and a OS probably trumps a CS but that's more debatable.  BUT....by the time you add $300 OBC, beverage package, internet, and gratuities ALL INCLUDED plus Luminae, the Summit was a good bit better deal.  I also didn't consider having the Retreat when I booked.  Of course the FOTS has nothing to compare to that.  

The S1s don't look to have a whole lot of storage to start with and the re-do seems to have decreased that somewhat.  Really storage is my only reservation about an S1.  Your review along with a few others HAS caused me to re-consider upgrading to a CS.  Was just in a Pinnacle Suite, then a OS before that, and a CS before that so the storage WILL be missed.   But the last time I was on the Summit I was in a C1 so I think I'll be okay!  

10 hours ago, mafig said:

Agree!👍

Seats you can actually sit in and feel comfortable. I could not care less about the colour because if we are sat having a drink i’m not looking at my chair thinking this is a nice looking design.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Now, be nice!!!

Now, be nice!!!

9 hours ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

A joke correct?  LOL   Stay in your sky suite on Celebrity!  

It's interesting .... I’m not the most frequent poster but I follow these boards daily. I appreciate everyone who takes the time and effort to post reviews, especially live blogs. I’ve been fascinated how when I placed this review,  there's been very little response,  neither positive or negative  from  most of the "regulars" who have literally posted thousands of times on almost every arcane subject. In this case, I think that they have chosen to stay silent here because I made some factual observations on some very real problems on their favourite cruise line. Thanks for backing me up on this!

I am a frequent poster and follow these boards.  However, the chair issue isn't the most important to me- While Celebrity is often my cruise line of choice, it isn't because my butt fits into a chair.  That is because I might eat too much!  LOL .   You can get a handicapped cabin if you require a grab bar and do not like the step in tub.   I will continue to sail in a SS or better on Celebrity.  Overall we like the ships- yes some are imperfect, but overall great for us and works with our budget.    We also really enjoy the Oasis class RC ships.  Again, not perfect.  But what in life is?  

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

I enjoyed reading your review, commentary, and pictures!!

The S1s don't look to have a whole lot of storage to start with and the re-do seems to have decreased that somewhat.  Really storage is my only reservation about an S1.  Your review along with a few others HAS caused me to re-consider upgrading to a CS.  Was just in a Pinnacle Suite, then a OS before that, and a CS before that so the storage WILL be missed.   But the last time I was on the Summit I was in a C1 so I think I'll be okay!  

Thanks!

That's what I love about Cruise Critic ... looking at other's reviews with pictures to see if what they're offering is what I want!

10 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I wouldn’t necessarily be concerned about the number of responses. I am pleased to read reviews of experiences from those who have actually “experienced “ something. I am less interested in the postings from those who have actual knowledge based on just a picture or a rumour.

At this point, we are long time Crlebrity cruisers and we have tried other cruise lines. We just find that Celebrity works best for us. 

We have yet to gain actual experience by cruising on Edge or any of the other Celebrity ships that have been “revolutionized.” Once we have gained that actual experience, we will then be able to provide a commentary on how the changes apply to us. 

We look forward to our upcoming cruise on Edge. We then hope to be in a better position to provide valuable feedback, such as the review you have provided, as opposed to opinions that are based on perception rather than fact.

Thank you for taking the time.

Randy

1 minute ago, Schmoe38 said:

At this point, we are long time Celebrity cruisers and we have tried other cruise lines. We just find that Celebrity works best for us. 

Thank you for taking the time.

Randy

Thanks!  

If Celebrity is the best fit for you and you have tried other lines, that's great!  Choice is a good thing.

I always roll my eyes when I chat with people or see posts by people who say that "____________" is my FAVORITE cruise line but they haven't actually sailed on anyone else!

On 5/24/2019 at 1:52 PM, dkjretired said:

If there is no bar, where do you get drinks.

Also, I know I’m not alone but one of Celebrity’s biggest bonehead moves in the past few years was removing the Murano type restaurants from the M class ships.

As Murano still exists, did you mean the unique individual restaurants on M-Class like the SS United States?  If so I completely agree with you there.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

As Murano still exists, did you mean the unique individual restaurants on M-Class like the SS United States?  If so I completely agree with you there.

Yes, that's why I said Murano type restaurants and specified the M class ships. 

Generally the only time I say I am Elite Plus is in a conversation about how much I enjoyed sailing another line.  So as to indicate that I have actually sailed on Celebrity, and quite often.  But since becoming Elite Plus we have enjoyed cruises on HAL, MSC, and NCL.  I personally feel that even if Celebrity had the food quality and choices of yore, even if the chairs were comfy, even if the storage was plentiful, even if shade was readily available, etc...I would still very much enjoy sailing another line just to have some new menus, shows and ships to explore.

• Like 2

Helen, that’s pretty much our “story”, too. We’re also Elite+ but enjoy the variety of other lines as well. Our 3 cruises in 2019 were/are HAL, Celebrity & Crystal. 

If we’re taking a poll, add us to the list of folks who sorely miss the Murano-type restaurants on M-class. We try to book suites on M-class to have the benefit of Luminae in the absence of Murano. On S-class we’re happy to sail in standard categories. Luminae would almost be a waste for us on S-class since we’d be frequenting a larger variety of specialty restaurants.

• Like 1

I do see a lot of IKEA furnitures on the revolutionize ship and the Edge class ship.It seems Modern but I don't think is Luxury.

Don't know what direction of Celebrity is going forward.

Wonder is the problem of the designer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

Generally the only time I say I am Elite Plus is in a conversation about how much I enjoyed sailing another line.  So as to indicate that I have actually sailed on Celebrity, and quite often.  But since becoming Elite Plus we have enjoyed cruises on HAL, MSC, and NCL. 

1 hour ago, BEAV said:

Helen, that’s pretty much our “story”, too. We’re also Elite+ but enjoy the variety of other lines as well. Our 3 cruises in 2019 were/are HAL, Celebrity & Crystal. 

How difficult can it be to have the physical space of Seaside's Yacht Club decorated with the furniture from Viking and staffed by the mixologists of the Haven?!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1