Medallion Net best offer?

Rafabril

Hello guys!

I'm a first-cruiser with Princess Cruises. It offers an onboard wifi plan at $59.99. I'm wondering if it's the best price. How much does it cost if I purchase it onboard?

And it says 'prices are subject to change w/o notice'. Does it mean the price may go up or down before the cruise?

Thank you guys for your info!

The $59.99 offer for the cruise for WiFi is your best offer and must be purchased before boarding the ship.  On the ship the cost will be $9.99/day for WiFi.  It is highly unlikely that they will drop the price (something around zero chance) but Princess may well decide to either increase the price or drop the offer.  

1 minute ago, satxdiver said:

The $59.99 offer for the cruise for WiFi is your best offer and must be purchased before boarding the ship.  On the ship the cost will be $9.99/day for WiFi.  It is highly unlikely that they will drop the price (something around zero chance) but Princess may well decide to either increase the price or drop the offer.  

Thank you for your quick reply:)

Btw, can i chat with my friend onboard on Princess@Sea app w/o a wifi plan?

does your ship just have medallion net, or is it a full blown Ocean Medallion cruise ?  If you just post the name of the ship and sailing date, the forum can be more helpful

and welcome to Princess and Cruise Critic :classic_biggrin:

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rafabril said:

Thank you for your quick reply:)

Btw, can i chat with my friend onboard on Princess@Sea app w/o a wifi plan?

Princess@Sea doesn't have "chat" capability. There's a message service, but no notification when you get a message. You just have to keep checking.:classic_blink:

3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

does your ship just have medallion net, or is it a full blown Ocean Medallion cruise ?  If you just post the name of the ship and sailing date, the forum can be more helpful

and welcome to Princess and Cruise Critic :classic_biggrin:

Hi~:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

It's Royal Princess leaving from Anchorage on July.13.

2 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Princess@Sea doesn't have "chat" capability. There's a message service, but no notification when you get a message. You just have to keep checking.:classic_blink:

Oh....that's inconvenient - -

no need to pay 'messaging fee' or something?

On our upcoming 10 day cruise 1 device plans are selling for $9.99/day and 4 device plans are selling for $14.99/day. Figure from this based on the length of your cruise. Doubtful there will be a better price on board.

With Princess@Sea you can send text to others on the ship, access your on board account, access the Princess Patter and other  information. There is no signal to let you know a message has been received. No charge for Princess@Sea. 

58 minutes ago, Rafabril said:

Hello guys!

I'm a first-cruiser with Princess Cruises. It offers an onboard wifi plan at $59.99. I'm wondering if it's the best price. How much does it cost if I purchase it onboard?

And it says 'prices are subject to change w/o notice'. Does it mean the price may go up or down before the cruise?

Thank you guys for your info!

So we are new to Princess also with the same offer for a 7-day cruise. We are used to Carnival with 3 internet plan choices and always choose the middle value plan which is great for us and we can both log-in at different times on our own devices. This plan on upcoming 7-day Carnival  is $71.25 for entire cruise which is cheaper than Princess. Jw, if it is similar to the plan Princess offers?  Can you share the plan on their ships like we can on Carnival?  We both dont need to be on at same time anyways. Anybody sail both lines and have any input? Thanks!

As far as I know these are the current prices. If purchased in advance you get the additional minutes shown in parenthesis.

MINUTES

PRICE

100 (20)

$69.00

free for Platinum and above for 7 day cruise and less

200 (40)

$99.00

free for Platinum and above for 8-20 day cruise

400 (60)

$159.00

free for Platinum and above for 21 day cruise and above

600 (80)

$199.00

Edited by denmarks
spelling

57 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

So we are new to Princess also with the same offer for a 7-day cruise. We are used to Carnival with 3 internet plan choices and always choose the middle value plan which is great for us and we can both log-in at different times on our own devices. This plan on upcoming 7-day Carnival  is $71.25 for entire cruise which is cheaper than Princess. Jw, if it is similar to the plan Princess offers?  Can you share the plan on their ships like we can on Carnival?  We both dont need to be on at same time anyways. Anybody sail both lines and have any input? Thanks!

Ooops, meant to say that Princess is cheaper than Carnival, so am questioning the type of internet?  I see everyone talking about how many minutes you get, with Carnival it's an unlimited plan for the entire cruise.  Seems as if they have different types of plans between these 2 cruise lines.  Just trying to clarify, don't want to pre-purchase and then be unhappy with the purchase, lol.

Welcome home IdahoSpud.  I'm interested to hear if you had the unlimited WiFi on the Royal and, if so, what was the speed?  Some have speculated that it is very slow on the Ruby because it is in Alaska.  Did you see that same thing on the Royal in Alaska?

Also, does anyone know if one purchases WiFi by the minute (or a limited package), is the speed slower than the unlimited WiFi or is it the same speed?  I have to imagine it's the same speed, but perhaps they have some routers that are speed restricted and others that are not.

Thanks for your help.

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Welcome home IdahoSpud.  I'm interested to hear if you had the unlimited WiFi on the Royal and, if so, what was the speed?  Some have speculated that it is very slow on the Ruby because it is in Alaska.  Did you see that same thing on the Royal in Alaska?

We turned in Ed's minutes to get the unlimited package. He wanted to stream baseball games like he did on the Caribbean Princess last year but the Royal's Internet in Alaska was just way too slow for that. Worked for me because then I could use it for the blog and upload pictures relatively easily. 

The internet was slow a lot and was completely out several times, too. We were told it did have to do with Alaska. The Future Cruises and Captain's Circle gals had chunks of time where we just visited because even they couldn't access the Internet. I talked to the Medallion IT guys about it as well. They are learning new things every day about how Royal's Medallion and MedallionNet functions (and doesn't function) in Alaska. It has been a challenge for them, for sure. 

The Ruby's MedallionNet sucked for us on our LA to Vancouver trip a couple weeks back, too. We didn't do the unlimited on that voyage so I burned through both our minutes without even getting any blogging done. 

Caribbean Princess MedallionNet was definitely number 1!

4 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Also, does anyone know if one purchases WiFi by the minute (or a limited package), is the speed slower than the unlimited WiFi or is it the same speed?  I have to imagine it's the same speed, but perhaps they have some routers that are speed restricted and others that are not.

Thanks for your help.

I cant speak for Alaska but on the Royal on the Pacific Coastal we were able to stream the NHL playoffs to our iPad with only a few stuttering Hiccups.  It did seem to get worse the farther north however.  For non streaming use it was still pretty good.

6 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

Ooops, meant to say that Princess is cheaper than Carnival, so am questioning the type of internet?  I see everyone talking about how many minutes you get, with Carnival it's an unlimited plan for the entire cruise.  Seems as if they have different types of plans between these 2 cruise lines.  Just trying to clarify, don't want to pre-purchase and then be unhappy with the purchase, lol.

Princess is rolling out Medallion Net across the fleet. If your cruise personlizer shows plans for $XXX/day then they are unlimted plans. It would be good to know your ship since not all ships have the newer fast service. If you mention the ship someone will have been recently on board and will be able to advise regarding the service.

Princess also offers "by the minute" plans for those that do not want to stay connected all the time and for those that are Captain's Circle Elite status and receive free internet minutes per cruise based on the length of the voyage.

51 minutes ago, skynight said:

Princess is rolling out Medallion Net across the fleet. If your cruise personlizer shows plans for $XXX/day then they are unlimted plans. It would be good to know your ship since not all ships have the newer fast service. If you mention the ship someone will have been recently on board and will be able to advise regarding the service.

Princess also offers "by the minute" plans for those that do not want to stay connected all the time and for those that are Captain's Circle Elite status and receive free internet minutes per cruise based on the length of the voyage.

Okay just checked and it does have the Medallion Net with a $59 price listed but underneath it specifies the $9.99/day at over 50% off?  I'm confused as to which price applies to my cruise. We are sailing on the Ruby Princess to Alaska next May, which will also be going to full Ocean status next year prior to our cruise, if that makes a difference?  This will be our first cruise with Princess so we will be the lowly blue status.  Thanks for the update.

7 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Thanks for your help.

Hi, J.  We were on Majestic in Feb.  It has new fast internet, but is not Medallion Class as you will know.  They offered the old minutes plans.  They offered three unlimited plans (Basic, Surf, and "Whatever").  You probably are familiar.  I bought Surf and then upgraded the final three days (@Sea) to "Whatever".  The speed wasn't any different among them - it was access to apps and web functions that changes.  The old minutes plan was like the top end package (I called it Whatever).  It's the same internet so it was same speed as far as I know.  I must be getting old as I cannot recall if my wife used her Platinum minutes or was on same Surf as me.  No, we just had the one package and swapped turns on our devices.  On the upcoming, we each have U/L Medallion plans (Regal so Ocean Medallion as well).  As you know, I think the old minute plans are for the scrap heap soon.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

Okay just checked and it does have the Medallion Net with a $59 price listed but underneath it specifies the $9.99/day at over 50% off?  I'm confused as to which price applies to my cruise. We are sailing on the Ruby Princess to Alaska next May, which will also be going to full Ocean status next year prior to our cruise, if that makes a difference?  This will be our first cruise with Princess so we will be the lowly blue status.  Thanks for the update.

I think once again, Princess is not keeping up with textual info on the website.  It actually says "as low as" in Personalizer and on that poster board photo above.  This implies the cost is even more than $10/day normally.  I just figured it is old news as all package prices I have seen for FULL CRUISE, are much lower than $10 on a per-day basis. 

If your offer is $59, divide by length of cruise and you have a bargain and be happy and book it.

ETA - The three levels of plans you mention are offered on Princess ships with updated (new) internet and which are not yet Ocean Medallion cruises.  On Ocean Medallion, there is just one package level and you can assume it is like the top on on Carnival (I presume because it is like the top one on Princess ships non-Ocean Medallion).

Yes, it is confusing as Princess currently has legacy internet, upgraded/fast internet (non-Ocean Medallion), and Ocean Medallion.  Eventually, all ships will be Ocean Medallion and have fast internet (fast internet first I think in most cases).

Edited by steelers36

3 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

Yes, the same thing on my cruise personalizer.

$59.99 for 7-day cruise, which means $8-9 a day, not as much as 50% off as it says.

Anyway, I think I'll buy one for us two as we can use it at different times.

8 hours ago, idahospud said:

We turned in Ed's minutes to get the unlimited package. He wanted to stream baseball games like he did on the Caribbean Princess last year but the Royal's Internet in Alaska was just way too slow for that. Worked for me because then I could use it for the blog and upload pictures relatively easily. 

The internet was slow a lot and was completely out several times, too. We were told it did have to do with Alaska. The Future Cruises and Captain's Circle gals had chunks of time where we just visited because even they couldn't access the Internet. I talked to the Medallion IT guys about it as well. They are learning new things every day about how Royal's Medallion and MedallionNet functions (and doesn't function) in Alaska. It has been a challenge for them, for sure. 

The Ruby's MedallionNet sucked for us on our LA to Vancouver trip a couple weeks back, too. We didn't do the unlimited on that voyage so I burned through both our minutes without even getting any blogging done. 

Caribbean Princess MedallionNet was definitely number 1!

Curious what kind of credit was applied with the elite minutes.  We are in the Ruby next month... can you exchange the minutes for credit in the Ruby as well?

14 minutes ago, ccndfw said:

Curious what kind of credit was applied with the elite minutes.  We are in the Ruby next month... can you exchange the minutes for credit in the Ruby as well?

We were on the Ruby at the beginning of this month and yes, you can exchange the minutes for credit on the Ruby, too. I didn't do a screen capture of the Ruby's pricing since we just used our Elite minutes on that ship, but here's a screen capture of the costs from the Royal (for 14 days).The Ruby's "trade-in" for a seven day cruise is half the price of the 14 day.

IMG_4572.PNG

I've bought the $59.99 voyage package and it says in the email that 'you may cancel 72 hours before your cruise for full refund'.

I'm wondering if the refund policy also applies to shore excursion reservation?

Thank you for your reply!

So, if we are both Elite, would it be best for one to purchase unlimited, and then would the other be able to use all 500 minutes? (his and mine?) Is that even possible?

Also, is it better to wait to get it onboard if you want to give up your Elite minutes and get a discount off of the $59 package. Sorry, all these options are confusing!

Thanks,

Janet