Bermuda Shorts

34 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

You were there a couple yrs ago. You can't remember????

You deemed the food lousy after eating there only once and never went back. You are actually going to eat there more than once this time and don't want to wear dinner attire. Wear your shorts in the windjammer!

LOL!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Artemus said:

I like to stare at men in shorts in the dining room and kinda shake my head. I think I’m going to start doing a wolf whistle  when men walk by my table in shorts. I have the ability to disguise where it’s coming from.

Obviously you dine in the MDR for different reason than we do. Sad. 👎:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/2/2019 at 7:28 PM, Tree_skier said:

LOL!

On 6/2/2019 at 6:54 PM, cruisinfanatic said:

You were there a couple yrs ago. You can't remember????

You deemed the food lousy after eating there only once and never went back. You are actually going to eat there more than once this time and don't want to wear dinner attire. Wear your shorts in the windjammer!

If you must know I always cruised  with my husband  who never wore shorts in the mdr and neither did I.  My husband passed away this year and my son is taking the cruise with me instead. He was the one asking the question that I couldn’t answer.  After seeing some of the responses I wish I hadn’t asked.  I never realized it would cause such a stir.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, doones2 said:

My husband passed away this year and my son is taking the cruise with me instead.

Sorry for your loss.

It should be noted that anything that almost any topic which brings up something which challenges tradition, rules, cruise etiquette, or appropriate attire will be met with opposing/alternative/challenged views. It happens here all the time.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 10:52 AM, Vlgg731 said:

Let me poise this question?  If we are teaching our children that it is ok to bend the rules/suggestions in this case how do they decide when it is ok and when it isn't?  Many years ago my son was a small 12 year old.  We were eating in a restaurant that at 12 and above paid adult prices.  He has always been a small eater and didn't eat more that a 5 year old would.  The decision was did I lie about his age-teaching him it is ok to bend the rules? or do I set an example and pay the correct amount?  I believe that when we make these decisions we are teaching lessons to our children and others who are watching.  I know this is an old fashioned idea, but maybe something to think about in the future when you are bending the rules/suggestions.  

Not a bad or old fashion idea but first I would want to make sure that my child understood the definition of  a rule and a suggestion

Edited by Iamcruzin

On 6/2/2019 at 2:23 PM, Artemus said:

I like to stare at men in shorts in the dining room and kinda shake my head. I think I’m going to start doing a wolf whistle  when men walk by my table in shorts. I have the ability to disguise where it’s coming from.

Talk about bringing the class you think you deserve to the MDR... yeesh.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

...or a policy...or tradition. All have value for learning.

The OP asked if shorts can be worn in the MDR at dinner and the answer is yes. They didn't ask whether it's moral, traditional or about the outdated suggestion that is not enforced. In 2001 I wore shorts and jeans in the MDR. So as far as I am concerned  wearing long pants hasn't been a policy for a long time.  As for  tradition skeet shooting, shuffle board ,high tea and fine dining were once traditions.  They have been replaced with flow riders , rock walls, North Star, iFly and an abundance of up charge fast food and specialty restaurants. If anyone is looking for a more traditional experience than I would suggest Princess or Celebrity. I would never think of wearing shorts during dinner on either of those lines. Royal, Carnival and NCL are casual family amusement parks where the ship is the destination and activity and entertainment trump traditional maritime experiences. Both styles of cruising serve a purpose. Personally I prefer the traditional experiences but Royal Caribbean worked for us in other ways this time.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

The OP asked if shorts can be worn in the MDR at dinner and the answer is yes. 

Traditions represent a critical piece of our culture. They help form the structure and foundation of our families and our society. They remind us that we are part of a history that defines our past, shapes who we are today and who we are likely to become.

Certainly your response gets right to the point.

On 6/2/2019 at 7:37 AM, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Just the same kind of mindset that ruins various things for everyone else...eventually there are enforced rules based on abuses by a few. What was a long-standing and nice tradition of formal night has virtually been destroyed by a minority of passengers who "do what they want". Unfortunately...those same "do what you want" folks are among the most loud and abusive onboard cruises today.

If it wasn't for the ginormous profits on the drinking packages...the abusers for that would have found those packages to be entirely ended. It could still happen some day if the passengers fighting, falling overboard, and abusing other passengers continue as they have in recent times. Again...it's a few potentially ruining things for the majority of non-abusers.

On 6/2/2019 at 8:40 AM, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Yeah....tradition is dead in many ways in many places for many things.

Change for the sake of change has destroyed many worthwhile things in history. Values have always evolved over time, but not usually at the expense of tradition, history, and respect for others. Things are in a different place now.

It's the "do whatever I want" attitude that continues to deteriorate our world. They are the minority demanding control over the majority. The shorts thing itself in a minuscule issue, but any "do whatever I want" attitude has far deeper implications.

Cruising may become the next casualty of the demise of "whatever" over the next several years.

You have serious issues. Lighten up Francis!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Traditions represent a critical piece of our culture. They help form the structure and foundation of our families and our society. They remind us that we are part of a history that defines our past, shapes who we are today and who we are likely to become.

I couldn't agree more. However, Royal Caribbean isn't the cruise line that speaks to tradition. I am packing for my cruise that leaves tomorrow. It is very difficult for me not packing a suit, especially since this is the first time we are driving to port. The others we are traveling with opted to dress smart casual on formal night so my wife and I don't want to up stage them. I am going to pack a dress shirt and tie just incase, plus it will relieve some of the anxiety of not packing a suit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I couldn't agree more. However, Royal Caribbean isn't the cruise line that speaks to tradition. I am packing for my cruise that leaves tomorrow. It is very difficult for me not packing a suit, especially since this is the first time we are driving to port. The others we are traveling with opted to dress smart casual on formal night so my wife and I don't want to up stage them. I am going to pack a dress shirt and tie just incase, plus it will relieve some of the anxiety of not packing a suit.

All good points, and a good plan. A few still wear tuxes on formal night, while some wear suits. Our observation is that you are likely going to be "the norm" in terms of attire these days in the MDR, especially on formal night.

Change in traditions over time is common...but some don't share in the value of "something special" in concept and instead move right on to "whatever I feel like". I guess the definition of "smart casual" and "not so smart casual" are indeed different.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'd pack and wear the suit, regardless of what others are going to wear. 

• Like 1

You can wear shorts in the main dining room on Royal Caribbean ships.  Men, women, young, old, casual night, formal night, they really don't care and no one else onboard does either.  There is no ageism or sexist policy aboard. 

On 6/2/2019 at 10:52 AM, Vlgg731 said:

Let me poise this question?  If we are teaching our children that it is ok to bend the rules/suggestions in this case how do they decide when it is ok and when it isn't?  

My kid knows the difference between wearing shorts on vacation in the Caribbean and, say, embezzling money from a corporation.   It's called having a brain and using critical thinking. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Would you suggest that (1) once a tradition is established, it must be continued no matter what, lest society crumble; and/or (2) a tradition can only serve to "help form the structure and foundation" if it is continued (rather than, say, studied)?

It was once a tradition for wives to stay home while husbands worked.  Some families still maintain this dynamic (as they should, if that is their prerogative), but things have shifted toward more dual-earner households or stay-at-home husbands.  I'd say the societal implications of working women are far more important to the world than who-wears-what in a cruise ship's dining room.  Should women have been ridiculed and shamed to stay at home instead of joining the workforce in order to maintain this tradition?

Consider, also, that perhaps the most common "tradition" with respect to fashion is that it is cyclical.  Fashion trends have always been evolving, and I'd argue that the move to more casual dining attire is right in line with that tradition of constant change.

My wife and I have always dressed up for dinner in the MDR because she enjoys it, but I just might have to switch to shorts and a ball cap after reading this latest thread.  From all our meals, I cannot for the life of me recall one single item of clothing that anyone else around us was wearing because it had zero impact on us.  To those saying that your dining experience is ruined by the presence of shorts, I say "get a grip!"  If another cruiser's decision to wear shorts ruins your dinner, I'd argue it says more about you than the other cruiser.

As it stands, RCI has unenforced suggestions.  If one cannot bear to be in the presence of shorts while eating, then one should seek out a cruise line that has a satisfactory dress code.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

There's times where things are being over-thought...and this appears to be one of them.

This may be the first time I agree with you on these forums. 🙂

• Like 1

I think this is a tough question to answer.  We are trying to teach my granddaughter (12 yo now) that it takes no extra effort to put a nice outfit on for dinner.  No fancy but not really casual either.  It is nice to see people wear something a little different than shorts for dinner.  Since we do not go to WJ or MDR we feel it is a little nicer to be dressed in something besides shorts in the specialty restaurants.  That being said, she always changes back to jeans or shorts when we are done with dinner so she can go back to the kids club or meet her friends somewhere.  I am sure you will enjoy your cruise, whatever you wear for meals.

On 6/1/2019 at 10:21 PM, mariefisher said:

Our last cruise was on Symphony and more wore shorts than not. I was kind of surprised that most of the men had either shorts or jeans on in Wonderland. But it did not effect our dining or change the taste of the food. So I think you should just do what ever makes you comfortable. We live in Florida and they are excepted at Ruth Chris, Fleming’s and the Ritz Carlton. Times have changed and saying shorts are not worn in the dining room is stretching the truth. 

"Accepted" and "preferred" are not the same thing.