Bermuda Shorts

I agree that you are on vacation and if you want to wear shorts eat in the Windjammer.  Show some respect for the rules.  Set a good example.  You knew the rules when you made your reservation,  don't make the rest of us look at your knees at our dinner time.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, doones2 said:

I can’t remember if Bermuda shorts are ok to wear in the main dining room.

Since you are simply asking, and not looking for what people do or don't do, here is Royal Caribbean's Dress Suggestion from their website.  This should actually answer your question with no opinion added:

"When you’re onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you’ll see, grouped by item.

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.
  • Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed. 
  • Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns. There can be 1-3 formal nights during a sailing and is at the ship’s discretion.
  •  

Please note that bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner."

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

Our last cruise was on Symphony and more wore shorts than not. I was kind of surprised that most of the men had either shorts or jeans on in Wonderland. But it did not effect our dining or change the taste of the food. So I think you should just do what ever makes you comfortable. We live in Florida and they are excepted at Ruth Chris, Fleming’s and the Ritz Carlton. Times have changed and saying shorts are not worn in the dining room is stretching the truth. 

• Like 4

Our last cruise was on Symphony and more wore shorts than not. I was kind of surprised that most of the men had either shorts or jeans on in Wonderland. But it did not effect our dining or change the taste of the food. So I think you should just do what ever makes you comfortable. We live in Florida and they are excepted at Ruth Chris, Fleming’s and the Ritz Carlton. Times have changed and saying shorts are not worn in the dining room is stretching the truth. 

1 hour ago, Vlgg731 said:

I agree that you are on vacation and if you want to wear shorts eat in the Windjammer.  Show some respect for the rules.  Set a good example.  You knew the rules when you made your reservation,  don't make the rest of us look at your knees at our dinner time.

Haha.  I think that’s so funny.  Seeing someone’s knees would not upset me or ruin my dinner.  I have been to very high end restaurants and in warm weather I have seen men wearing shorts and never thought twice about it.  I have already said I wouldn’t wear shorts in the dining room.  I was asking for my son. 😁  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, doones2 said:

I was asking for my son. 

The answers seem to range from "accepted" to "please don't do it, " but I think how some of us answer might depend on whether your son is a kid or an adult. If an adult, he can decide for himself if you show him the policy plus the comments from this thread. (But it seems that he also could simply follow your lead so your table would be more elegant if you prefer.)   If he is a kid, I bet most people would say no problem.

3 hours ago, Vlgg731 said:

Well said. I agree completely. If you want to wear shorts please go to The Windjammer or Sorrento’s, please. Please don’t embarrass yourself and your wife by wearing shorts in The Dining Room at Dinner. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Vlgg731 said:

They are not rules!🙄

Only suggestions!

Wear what ever you want!👍

#myvacationmyshorts

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, Artemus said:

Well said. I agree completely. If you want to wear shorts please go to The Windjammer or Sorrento’s, please. Please don’t embarrass yourself and your wife by wearing shorts in The Dining Room at Dinner. 

I Can't see people being embarrassed by wearing shorts in the Dining Room as I never am.  Being embarrassed is a personal choice I ignore.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

They are not rules!🙄

Only suggestions!

Wear what ever you want!👍

#myvacationmyshorts

Just the same kind of mindset that ruins various things for everyone else...eventually there are enforced rules based on abuses by a few. What was a long-standing and nice tradition of formal night has virtually been destroyed by a minority of passengers who "do what they want". Unfortunately...those same "do what you want" folks are among the most loud and abusive onboard cruises today.

If it wasn't for the ginormous profits on the drinking packages...the abusers for that would have found those packages to be entirely ended. It could still happen some day if the passengers fighting, falling overboard, and abusing other passengers continue as they have in recent times. Again...it's a few potentially ruining things for the majority of non-abusers.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Artemus said:

Honestly, shorts are extremely common these days in the dining room. If everyone was embarrassed by wearing shorts, I would imagine most of the dining room patrons would be embarrassed.

Just off Mariner OTS and one of the men wore a baseball cap backwards at our hibachi table in Izumi. I was not thrilled with that at all. Caps of any sort have no business at any dining table. I find that much more offensive than men wearing dress shorts in the dining room.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 2

You can quote the dress code that has been unchanged since my first cruise in 1986 but the reality is that it’s not enforced and the only people who care are cruise critic members who are not only among the minority on the ship they are also split between themselves here as to what is accepted attire in the MDR. Like it or not when it comes to the MDR at dinner time it’s a come as you are party and will never change until the cruise line enforces the dress code like they did in 1986. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Just the same kind of mindset that ruins various things for everyone else...eventually there are enforced rules based on abuses by a few. What was a long-standing and nice tradition of formal night has virtually been destroyed by a minority of passengers who "do what they want". Unfortunately...those same "do what you want" folks are among the most loud and abusive onboard cruises today.

If it wasn't for the ginormous profits on the drinking packages...the abusers for that would have found those packages to be entirely ended. It could still happen some day if the passengers fighting, falling overboard, and abusing other passengers continue as they have in recent times. Again...it's a few potentially ruining things for the majority of non-abusers.

I see it as those who want to dress formal and preaching to others are the few  and far between. It has nothing to do with the drink package or being on vacation. Fortunately or unfortunately the passengers who follow the suggested dress code  are the ones in the minority and are trying to persuade those who dress more casually to conform to their ways so they don’t feel out of place. There is nothing special or elegant about the MDR on any mass market ship. They have become amusement parks of the sea and the dress standards reflect that environment. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Next cruise I am going to wear a kilt.

13 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I've seen men wearing kilts on the ship many times.  Very nice.

13 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Agree, kilts are awesome.  I'd wear one if I had one!

Only appropriate if your Scottish 

In my opinion. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

You can quote the dress code that has been unchanged since my first cruise in 1986 but the reality is that it’s not enforced and the only people who care are cruise critic members who are not only among the minority on the ship they are also split between themselves here as to what is accepted attire in the MDR. Like it or not when it comes to the MDR at dinner time it’s a come as you are party and will never change until the cruise line enforces the dress code like they did in 1986. 

Yeah....tradition is dead in many ways in many places for many things.

Change for the sake of change has destroyed many worthwhile things in history. Values have always evolved over time, but not usually at the expense of tradition, history, and respect for others. Things are in a different place now.

It's the "do whatever I want" attitude that continues to deteriorate our world. They are the minority demanding control over the majority. The shorts thing itself in a minuscule issue, but any "do whatever I want" attitude has far deeper implications.

Cruising may become the next casualty of the demise of "whatever" over the next several years.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Yeah....tradition is dead in many ways in many places for many things.

Change for the sake of change has destroyed many worthwhile things in history. Values have always evolved over time, but not usually at the expense of tradition, history, and respect for others. Things are in a different place now.

It's the "do whatever I want" attitude that continues to deteriorate our world. They are the minority demanding control over the majority. The shorts thing itself in a minuscule issue, but any "do whatever I want" attitude has far deeper implications.

I love when former slave state citizens complain about ignoring history and traditions.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mariefisher said:

But it did not effect our dining or change the taste of the food

I can’t believe I’m commenting on yet another dress code thread but that statement has always been my opinion!  Finally glad to read someone else who uses common sense.  I’ve never understood the fuss people make over shorts!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

Honestly, shorts are extremely common these days in the dining room. If everyone was embarrassed by wearing shorts, I would imagine most of the dining room patrons would be embarrassed.

Just off Mariner OTS and one of the men wore a baseball cap backwards at our hibachi table in Izumi. I was not thrilled with that at all. Caps of any sort have no business at any dining table. I find that much more offensive than men wearing dress shorts in the dining room.

This is the type of dress code comment that I find amusing, when people say "I don't care what you wear as long as you don't wear X."

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

This is the type of dress code comment that I find amusing, when people say "I don't care what you wear as long as you don't wear X."

Caps were never allowed at our dining table in our home when I was growing up. Caps should never be allowed at any dining table. There......I said it again and it is not amusing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Caps were never allowed at our dining table in our home when I was growing up. Caps should never be allowed at any dining table. There......I said it again and it is not amusing.

Lol actually it is.  Your cap is another person's shorts or another person's sneakers or another person's sun dress!

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, doones2 said:

Haha.  I think that’s so funny.  Seeing someone’s knees would not upset me or ruin my dinner.  I have been to very high end restaurants and in warm weather I have seen men wearing shorts and never thought twice about it.  I have already said I wouldn’t wear shorts in the dining room.  I was asking for my son. 😁  

I created a similar post a few days ago.  We are sailing with 19 family members which include some menfolk who want to wear shorts in the MDR.  They are ok with wearing long pants on formal nights.  Most of the comments on my post were positive about wearing shorts in the MDR.  If I told the men/boys they needed to wear long pants every night in the MDR, and once onboard, they saw lots of folks in shorts, I would get some serious ribbing.  My DH plans on wearing long pants every night.  Personally, I am fine with folks choosing their own fashion statement.  

• Like 1