MSC Opera Crashes into Riverboat in Venice

emmas gran

BB ... Arrest was the word used by the person who supplied the information.

Latest is that the cruise may be cancelled tomorrow but nothing definate yet.

Edited by sidari

5 hours ago, sidari said:

'Here on the bridge, we don't understand what happened,' the pilot is heard saying.   

wha?

also, if anchors arent allowed in venice, why did the riverboat have her anchor deployed while docked?

11 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

also, if anchors arent allowed in venice, why did the riverboat have her anchor deployed while docked?

The anchor I was wasn't from the riverboat, but rather from the MSC ship (which was draped over the riverboat). Perhaps I am wrong though. 

17 minutes ago, DerekB said:

The anchor I was wasn't from the riverboat, but rather from the MSC ship (which was draped over the riverboat). Perhaps I am wrong though. 

I'm pretty sure that you are correct. The MSC ship was using to anchor to try to slow itself down.

30 minutes ago, DerekB said:

https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2019/06/02/2095560809454848429/636x382_MP4_2095560809454848429.mp4

oh, thats msc's anchor im seeing on the riverboat? wow

also, wonder if any underwater cables were snapped because of msc's anchor

23 hours ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

NO the Pilot only acts in an advisory position, the Captain is in command of the ship, The only place that the pilot takes command is the Panama Canal.

This is true.  However, captains who do not take the pilot's advice in any form or fashion may find their next visit to that port very unpleasant.

1 hour ago, TubT said:

This is true.  However, captains who do not take the pilot's advice in any form or fashion may find their next visit to that port very unpleasant.

Please see my posts regarding the Captain/Pilot relationship in posts #58 and #76 above.  Pilots can, and are, relieved on occasion, and there is no repercussion to the Captain unless his subsequent actions caused an incident, or the investigation showed that there was no cause to relieve the pilot.  Very, very frequently, Captain's will quietly "amend" a pilot's orders, particularly when the Captain is using the controls personally for the propellers and thrusters when close to the dock, as the Captain is far more familiar with the ship's handling than the pilot, so he may give a little more or less thrust on the thrusters than what the pilot asked for.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JimVB said:

Just a message from our daughter who is on board.

Out of fairness to their customers, MSC really needs to put out a statement in terms of what’s going on and how long they expect the ship to be down for. I know all the answers are not yet completely clear, but they should have some idea, preliminarily.

Can you imagine getting ready to fly to Venice only to be faced with this mess and no communication from the company?

I was on a ship that collided with a dock (not on my watch 😀 ) after the tugs hawser snapped ... what was in the press and what actually happened were somewhat different. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story as one wag once said.

I will defer my judgement until the full facts are known.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JimVB said:

Our daughter and husband boarded in Bari on Saturday.  So far there is a promise of a full refund.

Hi I am just back  yesterday from an amazing air bnb with balcony views over the Rialto if its free they could try and salvage a nice holiday out of it.

V1.jpg