Worried authorities will close Venice port to cruises

gerelmx

7 hours ago, John99 said:

After looking at the video this unbelievable!

All cruise ships must have a pilot aboard.  The cruise speeds in the waterway are under strict speed limits.  We have been to Vince twice with our ship always were under control.  I’m not an expert but the speed MSC Opera looked way to fast.  The pilot certification as a pilot should be rescinded.  Fire this person.   Also, you have two (2) tugs helping maneuver in the waterway.  What were they thinking?  These persons should be held accountable also.

John

Is there anyone else you want to hang without having any facts?

• Like 3

All great comments. 

New reports indicate the captain had trouble with the “engine controls” not working.  Hopefully, the engine control problem is true.  This would help explain what happen to a certain degree.  The ships “maintenance” schedule will also comes into question.  Possibly a mechanical problem?  What about the ship’s Chief Engineer.  Does he/she share any responsibility -- if any?  What shipyard performed ship’s maintenance?  How long ago?  Could this “engine control problem” happen to another MSC ships?  There many questions to be answered.  Only a maritime inquire will determine the root cause.  The pilot and captain certainly will come under maritime review.  Yes, the captain assumes overall control of the ship while taking instruction from the pilot.  Both will be questioned.  Local authorities will not take this incident lightly.  Also, you have two (2) tugs helping maneuver in the waterway and you can’t control the cruise ship.  Wow!  

Once the new cruise terminal is opened, I believe some local authorities will push to close the canal to all cruise ships (regardless of tonnage) and only use the new terminal.  The locals have discussed this possibility many times in the past.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

I think it's only a matter of time before Venice authorities put even more stringent regulations on the amount, and size of, ships allowed in the Grand Canal.  We've already seen some limitations put in place.  This will just be more fodder for those who are against cruise ships there.  It's one of the main reasons why we "did" Venice already on a small ship. 

Surely you are aware of the fact that Cruise Ships do NOT sail in the Grand Canal.  It is the Giudecca Canal which cruise ships use to reach the Maritime Port.  (ever seen a picture of the Rialto Bridge ?)  Even your "small" ship would not have been in the Grand Canal.  

• Like 2

One point that has NOT been made on this board, is that the MSC Opera was not in the process of docking. The ship was on its way to the Stazzione Marittima (sp ?), which is some distance away from where the River Countess was docked.  For some reason, The Opera lost control (engine failure or "Lockage") and drifted from the channel into the shore.  It was certainly not sailing under anyone's control that close to the shore.

3 minutes ago, ischeer said:

One point that has NOT been made on this board, is that the MSC Opera was not in the process of docking. The ship was on its way to the Stazzione Marittima (sp ?), which is some distance away from where the River Countess was docked. 

This image was posted on the MSC thread by Essiesmom and shows the canal and the docking areas.  The MSC Opera is on the left dock at the Stazione Marettima (left side of the map) while the River Countess is docked at San Basilio along the canal towards the right corner of the map.  It also gives an idea of the width of the Giudecca canal.

image.thumb.png.dfe9125a602b77e48b788d27c4297d66.png

20 hours ago, John99 said:

After looking at the video this unbelievable!

All cruise ships must have a pilot aboard.  The cruise speeds in the waterway are under strict speed limits.  We have been to Vince twice with our ship always were under control.  I’m not an expert but the speed MSC Opera looked way to fast.  The pilot certification as a pilot should be rescinded.  Fire this person.   Also, you have two (2) tugs helping maneuver in the waterway.  What were they thinking?  These persons should be held accountable also.

John

The Ship's captain/master remains responsible for the ship even with a pilot on board.  MSC claimed this was a "mechanical" failure.  Ship's speed looked normal for the canal.  It was scheduled to motor at Maritima and not San Basilio where the accident occurred.  It was later moved to Maritima for passenger disembarkation.

15 hours ago, ischeer said:

Surely you are aware of the fact that Cruise Ships do NOT sail in the Grand Canal.  It is the Giudecca Canal which cruise ships use to reach the Maritime Port.  (ever seen a picture of the Rialto Bridge ?)  Even your "small" ship would not have been in the Grand Canal.  

Yes, of course.  Meant to say the Guidecca Canal.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

12 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Yes, of course.  Mean to say the Guidecca Canal.

15 hours ago, capriccio said:

This image was posted on the MSC thread by Essiesmom and shows the canal and the docking areas.  The MSC Opera is on the left dock at the Stazione Marettima (left side of the map) while the River Countess is docked at San Basilio along the canal towards the right corner of the map.  It also gives an idea of the width of the Giudecca canal.

image.thumb.png.dfe9125a602b77e48b788d27c4297d66.png

That's what I find odd.  How did it veer way over to the right to the San Basilio Dock?  It's not like that big of a ship ever docks there so it would've had to drift over quite a ways.  When we were docked there, the big ships going by us were well under control and a good distance from the San Basilio Dock.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I been watching the video.  There seems to be people exiting the riverboat, then the riverboat gangway falls into the water.  Was there a person on the gangway?   I can't make it out.  I pray that there was no one on the small gangway.

Has any one else saw that on the video?

Yes, Maria, I see what you see. Because the camera is jumping around, it is unclear if someone was hanging off the edge of the pier (and was probably pulled up when the camera was focused elsewhere.

I check the River Cruises forum and found  post #12 which gives information from Uniworld:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2667831-cruise-ship-collides-with-riverboat-in-venice/

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Yes, Maria, I see what you see. Because the camera is jumping around, it is unclear if someone was hanging off the edge of the pier (and was probably pulled up when the camera was focused elsewhere.

I check the River Cruises forum and found  post #12 which gives information from Uniworld:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2667831-cruise-ship-collides-with-riverboat-in-venice/

Hi 

I did find this:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7095867/Cruise-ship-collides-tourist-river-boat-dock-busy-Venice-canal.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490

They do have circles drawn around what we are taking about.

I want to make sure that I have your right E-mail address.  So I will send a test one to you. You can let me know here if it is right.

I just want to make sure I am not sending to the wrong place.  

Sorry to all for gong off track.

Edited by geocruiser

5 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

That's what I find odd.  How did it veer way over to the right to the San Basilio Dock?  It's not like that big of a ship ever docks there so it would've had to drift over quite a ways.  When we were docked there, the big ships going by us were well under control and a good distance from the San Basilio Dock.

I concur, very strange. The canal is really wide in the basilio dock area. Anyone up to date on today’s information have any idea?

• Like 1