Worried authorities will close Venice port to cruises

gerelmx

After looking at the video this unbelievable!

All cruise ships must have a pilot aboard.  The cruise speeds in the waterway are under strict speed limits.  We have been to Vince twice with our ship always were under control.  I’m not an expert but the speed MSC Opera looked way to fast.  The pilot certification as a pilot should be rescinded.  Fire this person.   Also, you have two (2) tugs helping maneuver in the waterway.  What were they thinking?  These persons should be held accountable also.

John

MSC, not surprised.    

We have been to Venice on the Grand Princess, Crystal Harmony and the Royal Oddessey ... would be sad to see ship not to be able to do Venice.   

• Like 1

Lots more information on the MSC board: 

Uniworld (the River Countess is one of their ships) said 4 passengers and no crew were injured and taken to the hospital.  Most passengers had disembarked since Sunday is turn around day. 

There are videos in that thread and pictures of the damage done to the River Countess.

I think it's only a matter of time before Venice authorities put even more stringent regulations on the amount, and size of, ships allowed in the Grand Canal.  We've already seen some limitations put in place.  This will just be more fodder for those who are against cruise ships there.  It's one of the main reasons why we "did" Venice already on a small ship. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, John99 said:

All cruise ships must have a pilot aboard.  The cruise speeds in the waterway are under strict speed limits.  We have been to Vince twice with our ship always were under control.  I’m not an expert but the speed MSC Opera looked way to fast.  The pilot certification as a pilot should be rescinded.  Fire this person.   Also, you have two (2) tugs helping maneuver in the waterway.  What were they thinking?  These persons should be held accountable also.

John

The local pilot does not take the helm. They are only there to offer advice and assist in navigational decisions. The Master or their designated Officer of the Watch is always accountable for how the ship is steered. Even if the pilot gives bad advice the onus is on the ship's officers to disregard it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John99 said:

John

Wow!  That's a lot of assumptions.  It lost power, that's all I heard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, fishywood said:

The local pilot does not take the helm. They are only there to offer advice and assist in navigational decisions. The Master or their designated Officer of the Watch is always accountable for how the ship is steered. Even if the pilot gives bad advice the onus is on the ship's officers to disregard it.

I think there are 1 or 2 circumstances (not this situation) when the Local Pilot does take charge (and responsibility) of the ship. I think Panama Canal is one of them. I wish I could find that info.

6 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

From what I've read, the MSC ship had a malfunction.  They were aware of it and the tugs were trying to stop it.  Is that what other people are gathering from the reports so far?

Based on this news article that's what happened in the Giudecca Canal.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2019/06/02/cruise-ship-collides-with-tourist-boat-in-venice/1319519001/

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think there are 1 or 2 circumstances (not this situation) when the Local Pilot does take charge (and responsibility) of the ship. I think Panama Canal is one of them. I wish I could find that info.

Coral - were you thinking of Chengkp75's discussion on this thread about the Alaska Pilots?  He said only during the Panama Canal transit.

His comments include:

"The only difference between the Panama Canal pilot and any other harbor or local pilot, is that the Captain relinquishes some of his authority over the vessel, because the Canal Authority assumes full financial liability for the vessel or any damage it does.  This is also true as a ship enters a drydock, as the bow crosses over the "sill" of the dock, financial responsibility for the ship, and the authority to command that ship transfers to the shipyard."

"The Captain relinquishes "control" to a pilot in every situation, just as he does to his bridge officers while he is not on the bridge.  The Captain retains "authority" at all times except in the Panama Canal, and when entering a drydock.  The reason for this is that either the Canal Authority, or the shipyard assumes full financial responsibility for the ship and any damages it may cause."

"As I've said, the only reason the Captain relinquishes "responsibility" for his ship in the Panama Canal, is that the Canal Authority takes financial responsibility for any damages to the ship, or caused by the ship.  Other pilots, even Mississippi River pilots do not accept this responsibility, so the Captain has the right to relieve them at any time."

Edited by capriccio
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Coral - where you thinking of Chengkp75's discussion on this thread about the Alaska Pilots?  He said only during the Panama Canal transit.

His comments include:

"The only difference between the Panama Canal pilot and any other harbor or local pilot, is that the Captain relinquishes some of his authority over the vessel, because the Canal Authority assumes full financial liability for the vessel or any damage it does.  This is also true as a ship enters a drydock, as the bow crosses over the "sill" of the dock, financial responsibility for the ship, and the authority to command that ship transfers to the shipyard."

Probably. I was thinking it was Heidi's post. Both provide amazing insights into how the "cruise ship world" operates. I remember reading it over on Alaska's board. I appreciate both of their posts. Maybe this post by Chengkp:

chengkp75

• 10,000+ Club
  • chengkp75
  •    On 4/30/2019 at 1:33 PM,  tonyweir said: 

I believe the only port where the captain relinquishes control is the Panama canal. 

Well, semantics, but important ones.  The Captain relinquishes "control" to a pilot in every situation, just as he does to his bridge officers while he is not on the bridge.  The Captain retains "authority" at all times except in the Panama Canal, and when entering a drydock.  The reason for this is that either the Canal Authority, or the shipyard assumes full financial responsibility for the ship and any damages it may cause.

Edited by Coral

4 hours ago, John99 said:

John

Wow. Let's hang 'em first and not even worry about a trial!

• Like 5

Think we all must be very careful what is being said and accusations being thrown about without knowing the full facts. I am sure a full and thorough investigation will take place and if there is anyone to blame then it will be done in a correct manner and not by a kangaroo court.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Wow!  That video is the best one I've seen so far.  That would've been something to see!   

The beginning of the OP's link to videos showing people on the dock running away from the ship shows their concern about the rapidly approaching ship striking the dock & the river boat...a feet don't fail me now situation!

I been watching the video.  There seems to be people exiting the riverboat, then the riverboat gangway falls into the water.  Was there a person on the gangway?   I can't make it out.  I pray that there was no one on the small gangway.

Has any one else saw that on the video?

Edited by geocruiser

23 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

I saw those people exiting the river cruise ship too but it seems like the stream of people stop before it falls off.  I don't understand this (and maybe I'm not sympathetic enough), but I can't believe people are crying on the video. :classic_blink:

When the gangway falls off, there is a man on board who is reaching overboard, I thought maybe he was reaching for a person.

I think people are crying out of fear for themselves and for others who might get hurt.

• Like 1