New: US Govt travel restrictions to Cuba announced

cbb

3 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

That is true, but many 2020 and 2021 cruises are not fully booked and thus likely will be cancelled.

The issue and I am sure Oceania lawyers are working late, is the General License that allows them to stop at a Cuban port (to import the ship temporary into Cuba and re-export the ship).  The way I read it, it will now required to be reissued which the way it is worded denies exceptions for vessels and aircraft.   So if you are on a cruise -- no stopping...

Our cruise (and other O cruises that go only to Cuba in the same time period) is sold out.  Not sure if that makes any difference or not.   You are right.  No doubt lawyers are very busy right now.

23 minutes ago, HokiePoq said:

However there was a clarification that came out today that MAY exempt those who made deposits before today.   I am not sure if our cruise deposit will qualify but that all remains to be seen.  Our TA has not yet heard anything.  I am hopeful that previously booked cruises/land tours will be honored and that the ban will only affect future bookings.

That's always a possibility.

In any case, if the cruises are either cancelled or itinerary on strictly Cuba cruises changed, I would hope that Oceania would allow one of 2 options, considering the circumstances:

1 allow cancellation without penalty with full refund

2 apply full amount of deposit/final payment towards a future cruise within 12 months

Airlines might also be a little more flexible about cancelations under these circumstances.

Hopefully we'll know more SOON in view of the fact that Oceania itself wants and must know soon as well..

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

I can’t express how fortunate and happy I am to have visited Havana last week aboard the Norwegian Sun. We have an Oceania cruise booked for Feb 2021 that  visits 4 ports in Cuba. I’ll hope against hope that something changes and the cruise lines are once again able to call on Cuba.

NCL has just posted the following in reference to its’ Cuba cruises:

We regret to inform you that today the United States government announced new and immediate travel restrictions to Cuba. As a result, we have ceased all calls to the country and have begun to update itineraries for upcoming sailings. Rest assured that we will communicate to our guests and travel partners as soon as additional information becomes available. We thank you for your patience and understanding as we assess this recent unexpected development and the resulting impact to cruise travel to Cuba.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Almagetty said:

NCL has just posted the following in reference to its’ Cuba cruises:

We regret to inform you that today the United States government announced new and immediate travel restrictions to Cuba. As a result, we have ceased all calls to the country and have begun to update itineraries for upcoming sailings. Rest assured that we will communicate to our guests and travel partners as soon as additional information becomes available. We thank you for your patience and understanding as we assess this recent unexpected development and the resulting impact to cruise travel to Cuba.

Considering that Oceania is part of the NCL “family” one would assume that this will apply to O as well. :classic_angry:

I am saying this even though I know what they say about assumptions....

Edited by Paulchili

10 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Considering that Oceania is part of the NCL “family” one would assume that this will apply to O as well. :classic_angry:

I am saying this even though I know what they say about assumptions....

That’s my assumption, too. Here’s to hoping that their lawyers find a loophole.

12 minutes ago, Almagetty said:

That’s my assumption, too. Here’s to hoping that their lawyers find a loophole.

Even if the lawyers find a loophole, it would be simple for the Government to plug that loophole quickly as these are regulations that only need to written or re-written and then published in the Federal Register and not laws that have to be passed by Congress and signed by the President.

Edited by rallydave

7 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

So, if the cruiseline rearranges the ports so that you leave and return from the same ports on the same days, you would cancel the cruise just because you miss out on Cuba?  And thus eat your airfare costs.

Where I come from, that's called cutting off your nose....

You don't seem to realize that Oceania has 7 to 12 day cruises that are just Cuba (except for one quick stop in the Bahamas). More like cutting off your head......... ???

15 minutes ago, CanEcosse said:

You don't seem to realize that Oceania has 7 to 12 day cruises that are just Cuba (except for one quick stop in the Bahamas).

Many of these cruises (the 7 day ones) don’t even have a stop in Bahamas - only stops in 3 Cuban ports.

Folks might want to actually look at the cruise contract -- I have yet to see one that doesn't allow a cruiseline to miss ports and change itineraries with no recourse for the passenger.

Now perhaps a cruiseline will make a gesture for PR purposes and general goodwill.  But Oceania and all other lines are completely within their right to make whatever changes are necessary due to governmental restrictions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Now perhaps a cruiseline will make a gesture for PR purposes and general goodwill. 

I certainly hope so in the case of the fully Cuban cruises. I can see them substituting a port on a Panama Canal cruise where there is a one day stop in Havana. I can see them substituting that port. OTOH, changing a 7 day Cuba only cruise into a generic Carib cruise without a chance for some compensation (refund or future cruise credit) would cause much bad blood IMO.

Edited by Paulchili

13 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

So, if the cruiseline rearranges the ports so that you leave and return from the same ports on the same days, you would cancel the cruise just because you miss out on Cuba?  And thus eat your airfare costs.

Where I come from, that's called cutting off your nose....

I know that we only booked the Oceania cruise because it was a Cuba intensive cruise .  We are not interested in any other itinerary and have sailed to other islands before. I am sure there are many others who feel the same.  If you want to name-call it "cutting off your nose" that's your opinion but it is likely not shared by others.

9 hours ago, HokiePoq said:

Our itinerary is 100% Cuba.  Thus a replacement itinerary is none of what I booked.  We have been to most Caribbean ports multiple times.  NO I am not cutting off my nose to spite my face.  We will be forced (again as with the hurricane with another line) to go on a cruise we did not book and pay for a trip we did not want.  Not sure why you felt you must make an insulting comment.   We will either go on and pay way more for a cruise with ports we did not want or take the loss whatever that is for cancelling the air.   This is not O's fault.   However there was a clarification that came out today that MAY exempt those who made deposits before today.   I am not sure if our cruise deposit will qualify but that all remains to be seen.  Our TA has not yet heard anything.  I am hopeful that previously booked cruises/land tours will be honored and that the ban will only affect future bookings.

We are with you, and have paid deposit on cruise as well as deposit on accommodation in Miami, roundtrip air tickets to Miami, and travel insurance.  However, all cruise lines have been banned from sailing from U.S. ports to Cuba so it will take some creativity on Oceania's part to sail from where?  Hopefully the cruiselines' lawyers will get to work on this.  I would recommend those of us with Cuba cruise reservations write to Oceania to let them know how we feel and, in partucular, if you have no interest in an altered itinerary.

Edited by comcox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, comcox said:

I know that we only booked the Oceania cruise because it was a Cuba intensive cruise .  We are not interested in any other itinerary and have sailed to other islands before. I am sure there are many others who feel the same.  If you want to name-call it "cutting off your nose" that's your opinion but it is likely not shared by others.

We are with you, and have paid deposit on cruise as well as deposit on accommodation in Miami, roundtrip air tickets to Miami, and travel insurance.  However, all cruise lines have been banned from sailing from U.S. ports to Cuba so it will take some creativity on Oceania's part to sail from where?  Hopefully the cruiselines' lawyers will get to work on this.  I would recommend those of us with Cuba cruise reservations write to Oceania to let them know how we feel and, in partucular, if you have no interest in an altered itinerary.

I DO have an interest in an altered itinerary...what choice to I have?  I'm not interested in being grandfathered into going to Cuba and getting in the middle of a serious political decision.   I just hope it's a nice one.  I'm sure Oceania is  working overtime to do it's best for all.  Travelers must be flexible...stuff happens.

10 hours ago, rallydave said:

Even if the lawyers find a loophole, it would be simple for the Government to plug that loophole quickly as these are regulations that only need to written or re-written and then published in the Federal Register and not laws that have to be passed by Congress and signed by the President.

Correct.

Which means the cruise lines will concentrate on behind the scenes lobbying.

8 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I can see them substituting a port on a Panama Canal cruise where there is a one day stop in Havana. I can see them substituting that port. OTOH, changing a 7 day Cuba only cruise into a generic Carib cruise without a chance for some compensation (refund or future cruise credit) would cause much bad blood IMO.

Fully agreed.... market forces will prevail (ie. a good percentage of passengers cancelling from this sailing) and thus without any refund/FCC to keep current booked cruisers on the ship, I'd bet the cruise fares on a generic Caribbean + Nassau sailing will be offered at rock bottom pricing.

3 hours ago, comcox said:

I know that we only booked the Oceania cruise because it was a Cuba intensive cruise .  We are not interested in any other itinerary ... I am sure there are many others who feel the same. 

+1. At best I'll change ship to an itinerary of interest (looking at Marina in SA for example in February if they allow me to change, with some kind of price protection... RCL allows for price protection when changes occur (ie, ship sold, redeployments, etc). At worst I cancel the cruise altogether... I am definitely not accepting a 10 day itinerary to Nassau and the other Caribbean islands on Sirena.

12 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Looks like O has cancelled all Cuba cruises.   Take a look a the search function.   Cuba no result...

Not at all surprising. I am hoping that Oceania comes up with something better than a generic Caribbean sailing. Perhaps adding a couple of more Panama Canal Transits? Maybe sailing her down to Manaus and back? I just don't know.

4 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Not at all surprising. I am hoping that Oceania comes up with something better than a generic Caribbean sailing. Perhaps adding a couple of more Panama Canal Transits? Maybe sailing her down to Manaus and back? I just don't know.

Will not be doing any Caribbean cruises on O or anybody else.   Booked this as a Cuba cruise.

Certainly agree is that it no fault of O, but I certainly hope they will waive penalties for cancellation - because that is what will happen at least with my booking.

Just received personal call from Oceania and they are working on things.  She said they may have some news in a few hours (can't imagine they can work that fast, but good on them for trying).  Certainly we should hear something in the next few days.  It must be awful for anyone who had a Cuba cruise booked for this summer.

JMO

everyone needs to take a deep breath

If you have not paid your FP  just cancel  the cruise  (if you can get the deposit back)

If you booked air yourself  maybe talk with the airline & under the circumstances see if they will refund you or at least give a credit for future  flights

or plan a trip around Florida for the week

If you are paid in full ..sit tight & see what  O comes up with

maybe they will allow you to transfer your cruise money to a another  cruise  within the year 

for those that will do the altered itinerary  just sit tight

They are probably working to see what they can do  & then will work on upcoming cruises  first  .. those sailing this month will be the first priority

It was  not really a surprise to most  but you would think those sailing  in  the next  few months  the Government would have  allowed them  to go  to Cuba

4 hours ago, comcox said:

I would recommend those of us with Cuba cruise reservations write to Oceania to let them know how we feel and, in partucular, if you have no interest in an altered itinerary.

I am not sure  what the purpose would be 

the cruise line do not have a choice

they either alter  the itinerary  & sit at the dock losing money

they are probably more unhappy about the changes than you are

Writing to your Congressman might be  better  

Just cancel your cruise   you will get your deposit back

look at other options  if you cannot get the airfare refunded 

JMO

My cruise is booked for July 11th.  I wouldn't mind a cruise around the Caribbean  IF the itinerary was interesting.  The Insignia is a smaller ship able to get into smaller ports...there are a lot of islands out there besides Cozumel and Jamaica (please no).  Hoping Oceania gets creative.  Bermuda could be nice, but far from Miami. 

Carnival is offering full refunds for all of their Cuban itineraries. Hopefully, other cruise lines follow suit and give their passengers the opportunity to book a more appealing cruise route than the Caribbean. 

Jonathan

"an administration official is encouraging ships to substitute Puerto Rico instead of Havana.   “It’s a U.S. territory, they need the support; or go and support one of our democratic allies in the region.” "

"Cruise lines, the biggest of them based in Miami, scrambled to deal with the news Tuesday and figure out what it means for their passengers. One thing seemed clear: there will be no more cruises to Cuba after Tuesday if they originate or make a port stop in the U.S. "  https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article231158183.html#storylink=mainstage_card6

• Haha 1