No dress code on Viking River

jasardeax

2 hours ago, pully8 said:

Agree with hats/caps off at the dining table.

Not sure why people would chose to wear them in the restaurant.

Nevertheless each to their own and increasingly people wear what they like.

People watching can be entertaining.

We have seen people wear their complimentary slippers in the lounge areas and to dance, perhaps they had sore feet? This was not a Viking cruise.

On my last ocean cruise I saw a lot of bathrobes in the Lido. 

Roz

Is there a Lido on VO...I only saw robes to/from pool or spa.  I wore a robe to the spa and had to get there via stairs or elevators used by others.  Do not think it offended anyone.

• Like 1

We’ve done many river cruises, quite a few with Viking and several others on Uniworld, Avalon, etc but I will say I’ve never seen anyone look sloppy or unkempt at meals, and I’ve never seen men with sleeveless shirts in any dining venue,  maybe my bar is set too low.  That said, I do have a pet peeve about hats, namely baseball caps in the dining rooms during meals, we were taught manners and this is rude in my opinion.  While I’ve seen it frequently on cruises it’s the same in our city and it does drive me nut.  

• Like 5

I’m confused about the cutoff t shirts. Wasn’t it a bit chilly to wear them? Lol

As for baseball caps, there are two reasons men wear them. Some men use them as a fashion accessory such as hip hop artists. Then there are other men who are balding and think wearing a baseball cap everywhere looks better. Umm no it doesn’t. On RC most wearers fall into one category. lol 

1 hour ago, suspaul said:

We’ve done many river cruises, quite a few with Viking and several others on Uniworld, Avalon, etc but I will say I’ve never seen anyone look sloppy or unkempt at meals, and I’ve never seen men with sleeveless shirts in any dining venue,  maybe my bar is set too low.  That said, I do have a pet peeve about hats, namely baseball caps in the dining rooms during meals, we were taught manners and this is rude in my opinion.  While I’ve seen it frequently on cruises it’s the same in our city and it does drive me nut.  

I am ambivalent regarding the hat issue. I am of the age where it was considered rude for a gentleman to wear a hat indoors, and yet women wearing "fashion hats" were exempt from this prohibition. My instinctive reaction to men wearing hats in the dining room is the same as yours, but really, why? I don't think it is inherently rude, only deemed rude because "they" say it is. I don't know what it is like to be balding, but if I were, maybe I would want to wear a hat too. That said, my husband leaves his hat behind when we eat out, even if I have to help tame his "hat hair" from the baseball cap he wore earlier in the day!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

I’m confused about the cutoff t shirts. Wasn’t it a bit chilly to wear them? Lol

As for baseball caps, there are two reasons men wear them. Some men use them as a fashion accessory such as hip hop artists. Then there are other men who are balding and think wearing a baseball cap everywhere looks better. Umm no it doesn’t. On RC most wearers fall into one category. lol 

Or to keep from getting sunburn (although not to dinner)

10 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

I was talking about meals in the dining room. 

I know.  Really have no idea why folks wear baseball hats to dinner. However, I'm fine with people doing whatever they want.  Its their vacation.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

They should know that I automatically assume that any man wearing a baseball cap indoors is bald, and doesn't have the courage to shave his head to show his sense of self.  But hip hop artists are even lower in my esteem, so I guess the distinction doesn't matter.  :classic_wink:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mskaufman said:

Really have no idea why folks wear baseball hats to dinner. However, I'm fine with people doing whatever they want.  Its their vacation.

"No hats at the table" is one of my dinner rules at home... (The other major one being you have to have a shirt on....)

DH & I tend to dress business casual on our cruises - but it is a personal choice.  As stated above, it is our vacation, and we will do what we want.  I have worn black jeans with a nice top - and don't think I have upset anyone.  If I have, that is their issue... 

The beauty of a river cruise is that there is no assigned seating.  You can usually figure out pretty quickly who would be the "hat at the dinner table" person (if there is one on board...).  If hats at the table bother you (and they do bother me) then I would choose alternate dining arrangements for future meals.  If my black jeans are considered offensive, I assume the offended person can find somewhere else to sit...  Although they wouldn't have to see my legs, as they would be below the table cloth!! 

Fran

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 8:57 AM, philw1776 said:

They DO seem to enforce the slacks & collared shirt on Viking Ocean dining room.  

And I wish they would on the river cruises as well.

On 6/8/2019 at 11:13 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

If you're wearing a hat in the dining room, aren't you part of the group being attacked here? :classic_biggrin:

I'm old-fashioned when it comes to hats: men remove them indoors--including at meals-- while women don't have to -- and no brims after 6pm. Yes, I may wear by baseball cap at breakfast or lunch but never to dinner.

I do not care what you wear to dinner as long as they mean the minimum standards set by the dress code and I don't see body parts that are better left to an intimate setting. Do I need to name them?

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2019 at 7:59 PM, bafinegan said:

My entire family was/is military where they are taught to "uncover" indoors.  I guess it's a hard habit to break 🙂

baf

😉Please, lets be clear. The "uncover" refers only to hats!!!😉

• Haha 3

On 6/9/2019 at 7:41 AM, Roz said:

On my last ocean cruise I saw a lot of bathrobes in the Lido. 

Roz

Last summer on a HAL ship....  Not something I want to be seeing when I am trying to get food at the buffet:

enhance

Thank goodness he at least had the robe!

I am reminded when I first raised the idea of cruising, DH was hesitant because of the dress code.  He wore a suit and tie to work five days a week and did not want to "dress up" on his vacation.   We started with a Caribbean cruise and a more relaxed line.  Two cruises ago, he bought a tux just to wear on cruise formal night.   Turns out we both enjoy the routine of returning from a day seeing the sights, showering and dressing for dinner on our cruises.    I will miss formal night on our upcoming river cruise but it will sure cut down on the luggage.  

Yes, Turtles, it was on a HAL ship where I saw several bathrobes in the Lido.  One older gentleman (I use the term loosely) didn't have his robe fastened tightly and well....you can guess the rest.  And this is where people eat!!!

Roz

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Roz said:

Yes, Turtles, it was on a HAL ship where I saw several bathrobes in the Lido.  One older gentleman (I use the term loosely) didn't have his robe fastened tightly and well....you can guess the rest.  And this is where people eat!!!

Roz

ew

• Like 1

Unbelievable that someone would come to a meal that way.  If you are too lazy to get dressed order room service!  I would think the cruise line would not allow it!!!   That does not appear to be a robe OVER a swim suit.

Edited by deec

1 hour ago, deec said:

Unbelievable that someone would come to a meal that way.  If you are too lazy to get dressed order room service!  I would think the cruise line would not allow it!!!   That does not appear to be a robe OVER a swim suit.

Honestly, I would rather the robe to a speedo.

I had read a similar thread to this one before our Grand European river cruise last fall.  Because of the various weather we were expecting, we packed more casual clothes.  Because of what we had read, I assumed this would be OK (no jeans or tshirts, but definitely casual).  I felt under dressed several evenings and wished I had followed my instincts and not what I had read!  In other words, dinner was certainly more business casual on our cruise.

22 minutes ago, burnabyjean said:

I had read a similar thread to this one before our Grand European river cruise last fall.  Because of the various weather we were expecting, we packed more casual clothes.  Because of what we had read, I assumed this would be OK (no jeans or tshirts, but definitely casual).  I felt under dressed several evenings and wished I had followed my instincts and not what I had read!  In other words, dinner was certainly more business casual on our cruise.

The more I cruise, the more I have come to the conclusion that within the stated dress code of the cruise line, each sailing has its own vibe.  On some cruises there are a lot of people who like to dress up and on others there aren't, and I can't predict in advance. So, I bring what I need to make me feel comfortable.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Why do some PAXs think wearing jeans to dinner is OK?   Whether they be blue, black, tan, red, green, or purple.  Makes no difference. Jeans are jeans.

I have every intention of wearing good quality black jeans for dinner!
I will dress them up with a nice top, but it is what is worn to virtually every restaurant here in Melbourne, and perfectly fits the "smart casual" brief that Scenic says we should wear.
I will also have black pants for anything slightly more formal, but after a long day of touring, I certainly couldn't be bothered dressing up any more than that.

• Like 4