Does anyone else get "homesick" for HAL?

cartervan

We just got home from a lovely TA/Mediterranean cruise on RCI. In one port we were docked right next to the Veendam, and looking across at that familiar "black bottom" and wrap-around deck I had the oddest feeling of nostalgic "homesickness" for Holland America.  We are 3-star Mariners but we've sailed on several different lines--usually choosing our cruises by itinerary and how it fits into our schedule. We always enjoy ourselves whatever cruise line we are on but there is just something special about the ambiance aboard a Holland American ship that we miss when we're on some other ship.

• Like 2

Absolutely, yes.

We just went on a Celebrity cruise.  We do mix it up from time to time, just to be sure we're not in a rut or just stuck in a habit.  The whole vibe was different and not for us.  (We've tried other lines, too, with the same result.)

It would take a very unusual and desired route for us to book with anybody else now.  HAL is like a comfortable pair of shoes.  We're keepin' them.

Edited by AncientWanderer
  • Like 2

Much to my hubby's chagrin, I begin to get homesick for HAL a couple of months after we've finished our last cruise.  That's when I go online and start looking for another one, even if there's one already on the books.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 2

Absolutely!! I've sailed on Princess, Celebrity, and the Paul Gauguin... a couple times each.  That's it for me.  I am sticking with HAL - it really feels like home for me.  Why be homesick when I can stay "home"? 🙂

• Like 3

No, never.  We have cruised on several lines. Cannot say that get homesick or pine for one over the other.

We only pine for a great balcony cabin on a great ship, on a great itinerary with fabulous weather and wonderful port stops.  We find the cruise lines have become very vanilla with the exception of a few minor differences here and there.  For the most part, the logo on the funnel is meaningless to us.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

Yes I do........ I miss cruising with the fantastic crews who treated me as a Surrogate mother ( I have 15 bar servers as my adopted sons.) I miss the camaraderie of being aboard with others enjoying their cruise as much as I. Being waited on hand and foot, and just the Joie de Vive (Spelling for French "Love of Life"?) I felt on HAL.

In all my cruising, I never ever wanted to try any other line. I loved HAL from our very first cruise and refused to switch to another because I Knew in my heart they would not compare in my mind. So why try and be miserable. So stick with what I knew and be happy:)

Unfortunately, I can no longer cruise, so I live vicariously through hubbys Almost Live Blogs and those that post their reviews and such.

Joanie

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Like Joanie, I knew early (in my 30's) that HAL was the line for me, and don't bother with the others.  When I see the others in port, I see the obvious ways they're inferior - I'd never be in a port if my "home" wasn't a HAL ship.  Now at age 60, I see no reason to venture out to the others, unless for some reason HAL was to change to the point it wasn't acceptable...so far it hasn't happened, but if so I would probably try Celebrity.  HAL feels like home to me, and even my son (32 now) considers HAL his cruise line.  I took him on a Disney cruise at age 13 and he asked if his future cruises could please be on HAL.  As a 20-something he cruised Carnival with a bunch of friends.  I thought he'd love it, but he hated it - hated the cruise line, hated the fellow passengers, hated the food....and my son can "party" with the best of them!  He proposed on a HAL cruise (Eurodam), in the Pinnacle Grill...no doubt when he & his wife & son start cruising again it'll be on HAL.  It's not just for old farts - it's for people who appreciate a nice experience compared to other lines.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 6

I, too, always feel like I am at home whenever I step back on a HAL ship........there is something classy about that blue bottom hull.....I think I may just stick with what I know works for me, sailing on HAL..

No.   But this was a nice line 12-15 years ago.  We still tried other cruise lines and vacation modes.  And we found better options. 

the OP mentioned Veendam.  Last saw that ship a year ago and noted a huge gash in the white metal aft.  I remember thinking thank God I’m not on that ship.  Then we talked to a couple of their passengers who said the saving  grace was that the ship was only 2/3 full and the price was low. 

2 hours ago, doone said:

I, too, always feel like I am at home whenever I step back on a HAL ship........there is something classy about that blue bottom hull.....I think I may just stick with what I know works for me, sailing on HAL..

Well said. I will be sailing on Maasdam for the third time this July and should get the 100 day recognition. The staff, the crew and the passengers make for such an enjoyable experience each time I have sailed HAL. When I see some of the inflammatory posts, especially for the same voyage on which I have sailed, it is apparent to me that the complainer could not have been on the same ship. At least that is my conclusion.

• Like 2

We put away our rose colored glasses when many of the cruise lines, including HALdecided, in the face of rising costs, to keep prices constant but reduce the product quality/ service and increase the nickel and diming.

Edited by iancal

Count me among those that get homesick for HAL.  Usually about two months post cruise I start to feel like it’s been forever.  I travel a fair amount for work and have trouble sleeping while on the road, not so with HAL.  It’s like coming home and I get the best nights sleep you could want, even better than home. (Of course at home my furry children wake me up at 3:30 looking for a snack🤣). Let’s not leave out the crew, many of whom I see again and again, they are wonderful!

We also agree.  There is that combination of excellent customer service and well maintained service levels that you miss after you leave the ship.  We try to book at least 4 to 5 HAL ships each season and look forward to embarkation day. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, canadianbear said:

It’s funny-when we tried Celebrity for the first time we saw a HAL ship and I said I felt I was “cheating”!!  We feel very comfortable on HAL and especially like the staff.  

LOL! I felt the same way.  Will be on the Rotterdam this coming March Panama Canal to FLL. We really thought she was going to do a TA to the Med. To our dismay no so we went with Oceania over 3 days later from Miami!! Talk about guilt! !!

Our PCC called to let me know she could get us over about a week and a half later

and I said thank you but it’s ok. I felt like I cheated on her and HAL!

Denise😊

PS I don’t feel like that now 

• Like 1

We definitely get "homesick" when we are off cruise ships.  But certainly not for HAL...but for any cruise ship :).  As of 3 weeks ago we had 5 booked cruises for the next year of which 1 was on HAL.  Variety is truly the spice of life.

Hank

On 6/8/2019 at 5:48 PM, IRL_Joanie said:

Unfortunately, I can no longer cruise, so I live vicariously through hubbys Almost Live Blogs and those that post their reviews and such.

Joanie

Would you consider using a different font, the script font you are using is nearly impossible to read. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nope. I don't miss the 'service'. I don't miss the meals. I can pay for a good restaurant meal at home. I don't miss the entertainment. Any large city has better on offer. I don't miss the boarding and disembarkations for each excursion. Above all, I don't miss the company of the Donalds.

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

What are “the Donalds”?

Those are the American supporters of Trump's agenda. I stopped going to the Dining Room because of their tense confrontations with the Non-Donalds. Also, the Donalds turn their attention to the non-Americans. Ugly.

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Those are the American supporters of Trump's agenda. I stopped going to the Dining Room because of their tense confrontations with the Non-Donalds. Also, the Donalds turn their attention to the non-Americans. Ugly.

I see.  Well I guess I can only say that I have been fortunate enough to have never been exposed to such and would remove myself from the situation if I had been.  A word to the dining room manager does wonders.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, billbunger said:

Would you consider using a different font, the script font you are using is nearly impossible to read. 

I wish I could. However, no matter how I try, changing Font, font size, color, etc., my posts all look the same (to me) as everyone else's (except RuthC's) This problem only came to light since CC went to this new forum:(

Joanie

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IRL_Joanie said:

I wish I could. However, no matter how I try, changing Font, font size, color, etc., my posts all look the same (to me) as everyone else's (except RuthC's) This problem only came to light since CC went to this new forum:(

Joanie

You are using Sans Serif.  It looks fine on a laptop but not on a phone, IPad or other mobile device.

Just choose the default font and the problem should be solved. 😉