Equinox Inside Cabin (4 person) with convertible sofa. Is this photo/layout correct?

We’ve cruised many times on Royal with our kids, utilizing two connecting inside cabins.  (Wife and I in one, and kids in the other)  Unfortunately Celebrity doesn’t offer connecting inside cabins on the Equinox.  We have 4 children going with us next cruise (ages 18, 18, 15, 12) and booked them an inside cabin with a “convertible sofa bed”  I found this photo on the internet and want to make sure this is what they will have.  I much prefer the 4 person cabins with upper “Pullman beds” on Royal to this situation, but at least I can prepare them.  I assume two will sleep on the sofa (one on main sofa and one on the part that pulls out?), and the other two on the separated twin beds

Room with and without sofa converted in attached photos.  Room 7178 to be specific.

Thanks,

Dan

Interior Room.jpg

Interior Room Convertable bed.jpg

Yes,  that is what you will get..   You didn't mention when your cruise is, but I suggest going onto the Celebrity site and doing a dummy booking to see what rooms are available.    The rooms on the map with a square and a triangle have both the convertible bed and the upper birth.   Then I would call to switch cabins if there are any available.

46 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

With one small bathroom?😲

Not unusual for there to be 4 in a stateroom.  The bathroom on the inside cabin appears to be the same size as the bathroom in the balcony cabin we had on the Equinox last sailing. 

They aren't the ones having to pay for the cruise.  They will survive.  :) Our stateroom has a bathroom also if needed.  That's the bummer with these Celebrity ships, no connecting inside rooms.  Having that connecting door really makes the two rooms feel like one large space with two full baths.

Dan

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, micheleata said:

Yes,  that is what you will get..   You didn't mention when your cruise is, but I suggest going onto the Celebrity site and doing a dummy booking to see what rooms are available.    The rooms on the map with a square and a triangle have both the convertible bed and the upper birth.   Then I would call to switch cabins if there are any available.

Thanks for the advice.  March 21, 2020.  Pretty full already and very limited for 4.  I took your suggestion and I did see one room left that has both the upper berth and the sofa bed.  It's about $150 more than what the kids are in now, and it's on another deck so my wife and I would need to rebook that catagory as well, so another $100+.  My parents who have a balcony would also need to relocate at over $600 difference, so it's not looking too promising.

I'll ask the kids if the situation is a no go, but they are pretty easy going overall and we don't spend a ton of time in our rooms.

Dan

Don't lose hope...keep checking pricing and availability. Our B2B around the horn of South America seemed to be sailing near capacity until about 4 months out. Pricing plummeted and cabins were plentiful. For many cruises large travel agencies reserve blocks of cabins and then release them closer to the sail date.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Yikes, that sofa looks really small (and uncomfortable) for even the two youngest in your group. I know it wasn't your original question, but do you think you may have some unhappy kids on your hands? Fussy kids can quickly ruin a vacation. Sorry to be negative but now is the time to consider that.

Would it be that big of a deal for your parents to be on a different deck, rather than incur the extra $600 charge?

Edited by cynbar

2 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Don't lose hope...keep checking pricing and availability. Our B2B around the horn of South America seemed to be sailing near capacity until about 4 months out. Pricing plummeted and cabins were plentiful. For many cruises large travel agencies reserve blocks of cabins and then release them closer to the sail date.

Good Luck!

Thanks, I'll keep my eyes open for a 4 person room with an upper berth.  That just looks like a more comfortable option.

2 hours ago, cynbar said:

Yikes, that sofa looks really small (and uncomfortable) for even the two youngest in your group. I know it wasn't your original question, but do you think you may have some unhappy kids on your hands? Fussy kids can quickly ruin a vacation. Sorry to be negative but now is the time to consider that.

Would it be that big of a deal for your parents to be on a different deck, rather than incur the extra $600 charge?

Yeah, it does look pretty cramped.  Not sure why Celebrity chooses that layout rather than upper berths, which just function so much better.  I may end up moving us up one deck to snag that room that has an upper berth.  It's not that much different of a walk to my parents Veranda cabin.  It just adds a flight of stairs in between.

I have already shown my kids the room and my 12 year old doesn't care at all and the others said would probably be fine.  They really do understand that they aren't in the room much based on our previous cruises.  Honestly for them, and my wife and, it's typically for sleeping and getting ready for dinner.  Other than that we much prefer the public areas of the ship, even more so than hanging out on the balcony of a Veranda cabin. (nothing against balcony cabins mind you)

Dan

• 1 month later...

Just circling back to say that i was able to move us all up one deck (deck 😎 which got the kids a 4 person room with the pullman bed from the ceiling as well as the couch/trundle.  Much better.  The move was only $200 more total for all three rooms.  I’m Ok with that since the Pullman and couch is a much better option for the kids than having two on a couch.

Dan

C76BD133-5578-485D-B918-F66D3BCA5EA2.jpeg

• Like 2

Just as consolation 🙂 ... When our son was 12 - 18 (before 18), he hardly spent ANY time in our cabin. He was always in kids/teens clubs. I think by the time he was returning to our cabin to sleep he was so tired he did not care where or how he would be sleeping.  

On 6/11/2019 at 4:44 PM, The Fun Researcher said:

Thanks for the advice.  March 21, 2020.  Pretty full already and very limited for 4.  I took your suggestion and I did see one room left that has both the upper berth and the sofa bed.  It's about $150 more than what the kids are in now, and it's on another deck so my wife and I would need to rebook that catagory as well, so another $100+.  My parents who have a balcony would also need to relocate at over $600 difference, so it's not looking too promising.

I'll ask the kids if the situation is a no go, but they are pretty easy going overall and we don't spend a ton of time in our rooms.

Dan

Just a suggestion: When we had 4 in our room we kept bumping into each other when trying to shower after the pool, then get dressed for dinner. We like to stay near the pool until late afternoon, so we started to bathrooms/shower in the spa area instead of in our room. The showers at the spa where the sauna is located, are open to everyone. These shower stalls are much bigger than the room shower and there are multiple blow dryers available. We staggered our time of return to the room so each of us could get dressed privately. Our room was near the library, so when dressed we lounged there until the rest of the group was ready. This made for a relaxing pre-dinner routine.

Edited by kathynorth

36 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

Just a suggestion: When we had 4 in our room we kept bumping into each other when trying to shower after the pool, then get dressed for dinner. We like to stay near the pool until late afternoon, so we started to bathrooms/shower in the spa area instead of in our room. The showers at the spa where the sauna is located, are open to everyone. These shower stalls are much bigger than the room shower and there are multiple blow dryers available. We staggered our time of return to the room so each of us could get dressed privately. Our room was near the library, so when dressed we lounged there until the rest of the group was ready. This made for a relaxing pre-dinner routine.

Thank you.  That's a pretty cool idea.  The four person room has 3 teenage girls and one boy, so that would definitely help to free up the shower.  My wife and I are in the adjoining room so that shower won't be as busy, but I like the idea of using the spa/sauna showers to relieve congestion.

I wish Celebrity had some inside connecting rooms like we're used to on Royal.  It makes the whole space feel larger with that door open between rooms and makes it easier to juggle shower and bathroom needs.

Dan

2 hours ago, Tatka said:

Just as consolation 🙂 ... When our son was 12 - 18 (before 18), he hardly spent ANY time in our cabin. He was always in kids/teens clubs. I think by the time he was returning to our cabin to sleep he was so tired he did not care where or how he would be sleeping.  

We're mostly the same way.  We're in the room primarily to sleep, and to shower before dinner.   Most of our waking time is around the ship.  It's one of the reasons insides work so well for us.  We've done balcony cabins, but we just don't spend enough time in the room to justify the up charge.

Dan

On 6/11/2019 at 6:39 PM, cynbar said:

Those sofa's are very small, know that from experience., if you kids are on the bigger side, they will have a problem 

Edited by dkjretired

20 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Those sofa's are very small, know that from experience., if you kids are on the bigger side, they will have a problem 

We've been in rooms with different sized couches. One time when we booked a room for  3 the couch was more like a loveseat that opened up like a traditional pull out couch that was sufficient for 1 full sized adult. It would have been too small if the bed part wasn't pulled out. In our room with 4 we had a regular length couch that was fine for our adult son when the back pillows were removed. On that trip the below the bench pull out wasn't used. When we stayed in a room with the overhead pull down the couch was a normal length, both of which (overhead and couch) could accommodate an adult. 

The couch in the above photo is an example of the couch my adult son 5'11" slept on. 

Edited by kathynorth

On 6/11/2019 at 3:51 PM, Husky61 said:

With one small bathroom?😲

When the kids were smaller and we did 4 to a cabin, my son and I would as much as possible use the bathrooms and showers in the gym.  Made it a lot nicer for the ladies.

20 hours ago, dkjretired said:

18 hours ago, dkjretired said:

When the kids were smaller and we did 4 to a cabin, my son and I would as much as possible use the bathrooms and showers in the gym.  Made it a lot nicer for the ladies.

We've since "upgraded" to an inside for the kids that has both the pullman bed from the ceiling, and the couch.  The couch is full length and could be slept on from on top, or the trundle underneath.  None of the kids are large, and two of the kids are quite small, 100 lbs or less.  This room will suit them well.

Great idea about the gym.  We've never had issues with shower availability, but we're used to connecting rooms with one less person, and the two bathrooms were like revolving doors with all the showers being taken.  🙂 Now on this cruise, the rooms are simply adjacent.  With no connecting door in between it's a pain to share bathrooms between cabins.  My son and I may  very well shower in the gym/spa facilities.  Good suggestion.

20 hours ago, kathynorth said:

We've been in rooms with different sized couches. One time when we booked a room for  3 the couch was more like a loveseat that opened up like a traditional pull out couch that was sufficient for 1 full sized adult. It would have been too small if the bed part wasn't pulled out. In our room with 4 we had a regular length couch that was fine for our adult son when the back pillows were removed. On that trip the below the bench pull out wasn't used. When we stayed in a room with the overhead pull down the couch was a normal length, both of which (overhead and couch) could accommodate an adult. 

The couch in the above photo is an example of the couch my adult son 5'11" slept on. 

Good deal.  This setup looks to work much nicer than what I had booked in the original room (first photos).

Dan

I have personally slept on the sofa and I did fine (adult - 5'6", average adult size for my age😊).  It was not the most comfortable in the world, but I managed just fine.  I tried sleeping on the Pullman but when the seas were rocking I just did not feel comfortable up there (ok, I may be a bit paranoid) so I had them make up the sofa bed.  They take off the back cushions, so it is a bit wider than it would seem (although a larger/wider person may be cramped)

20 hours ago, dkjretired said:

We have done this as well when we had cabins close to the gym.  Worked out well.

We have cruised many times with four to a room and like you, we are all pretty laid back and play nice with each other. Per the bathroom, my son and daughter liked their showers first thing in the morning and my wife and I then showered before dinner. No problems at all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One suggestion for extra restroom options:  Look at the deckplans and try to book near a public restroom at the end of the hall or on a floor above or below.   My husband showered in the spa while I and our 2 daughters dressed for dinner.