Tour cancelled 2 days before sailing. Outrageous.

ak1004

3 days and this thread is still alive!  As with past threads by the OP they complain, some agree with complaint, some disagree, some offer suggestions.  OP continues to post looking for a debate and nothing changes. 

Issue raised, suggestions,  offered suggestion, suggestions rejected.  

Let the thread die

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

No they don't. They bring you outside the Louvre an you ate responsible to buy the tickets. 

My God, please just let it go!  You messed up prior to your cruise, so accept that.  All this complaining and whining did nothing for you or your poor daughter.  I suggest you get off Cruise Critic for the remainder of your cruise and try to have a good time with your daughter.  This is not Celebrity's fault, it's yours for not listening to solid advice when you asked for it.  We really do not need anymore "updates" from you on this topic.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, ak1004 said:

The transfer leaves at 8am and comes back at 6pm, and the only guided tours are at 11am and 2pm, so times don't match...

We now basically have zero options for our second day in Paris...

Still think my definition of "outrageous" was an overreaction?

According to my map app, it takes approximately 2 hrs. and 15 min to get from Le Havre to the Louvre.  So it would appear that the times DO match for an 11am tour.  Given that a bus probably takes a bit longer and you have to get tickets when you get there, I'd say an 8am departure is spot on for an 11am tour.  Or you could spend a few hours seeing other things and return for the 2pm tour.

And no, you have not been left with "zero options" for Paris.  You can still take a cruise line transfer to Paris.  Or you can follow prior suggestions to book a private transfer or take public transportation to Paris.  And you can book a private tour of the Louvre for just about any time that suits you if don't like 11am or 2pm.  Or you could just get a map or an audio guide and do a self-guided tour of the Louvre.  But you'll have to quit whining about Celebrity long enough to actually plan any of this.

And yes, given that you're still whining about zero options when in actuality you have multiple options, I think you're defintion of outrageous is overreacting.

So lack of communication, absence of notice, Excursions desk lack of knowledge - all normal in your opinion?

Normal or fair?  No, but that's life.  But you have a choice...do you want to be right or do you want to solve the problem?  Seems you just want to "be right."  i.e. convince everyone that the situation is outrageous, Celebrity is horrible and you have been wronged and have no options.  That just leaves you miserable and with unfulfilled goals for the day.  Or you can buck up and actually do something productive to solve the problem and have a great day in Paris for your daughter's sake. 

• Like 7

On 6/13/2019 at 7:44 PM, kearney said:

I can understand OPs frustration... given the distance Paris is from the cruise port and the short amount of time you end up having in Paris. One reason we have not done a European cruise is that there isn't enough time to do the larger cities justice. The film 'Rendevous' captures my impression of doing Paris on a cruise.... intended to lighten the mood.. not a criticism at all. Rendevous

Frankly I've never understood why people try to do Paris this way unless there is an overnight,(which I'm not sure any cruise line offers. ????)  All you really get is a drive through.  Much better to spend the day along the northern coast of France were there is so much to see and more relaxing.

• Like 1

When we spoke to Excursions desk yesterday they actually told us that the Louvre transfer is sold out. Paris on your own tour was sold out as well. They have only two tours left both cost more than double our original tour and are similar to the tour we have on the first day in Paris. 

Considering that we are not willing to travel independently i would say that we are pretty much out of options for the second day in Paris. 

P.S. except for this incident we are very impressed with Celebrity so far after 2 days on the ship. Some areas actually improved compared to our previous trip 3 years ago. I will post a separate topic when i have some time while it's fresh.

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

. I will post a separate topic when i have some time while it's fresh.

Please don't. 

So you waited too long, instead of jumping on it and now you're out of luck. That's outrageous.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ak1004 said:

No they don't. They bring you outside the Louvre an you ate responsible to buy the tickets. 

Oops.  Maybe I misunderstood.  I thought the idea was to pre-purchase the ticket(s) and then they walk you to the door.  My mistake.  Anyway, sounds like it is no longer an option.  

7 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Oops.  Maybe I misunderstood.  I thought the idea was to pre-purchase the ticket(s) and then they walk you to the door.  My mistake.  Anyway, sounds like it is no longer an option.  

2 hours ago, mom says said:

Please don't. 

So you waited too long, instead of jumping on it and now you're out of luck. That's outrageous.

Not really. It was already sold out yesterday. They put us on waiting list. But today we requested to speak with supervisor and magically they were able to find 3 spots. So we will be doing the transfer and then the tour independently. Will book the tickets online. 

P.S. I hope I don't need your permission to post on this forum. You are under no obligation to read my posts or respond to them.

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Not really. It was already sold out yesterday. They put us on waiting list. But today we requested to speak with supervisor and magically they were able to find 3 spots. So we will be doing the transfer and then the tour independently. Will book the tickets online.

Congrats ak1004! Glad to hear you were finally able to get it all worked out. Have a fun time in Paris and the Louvre. We did an independent tour there back in the 80s when I was stationed in Germany and it's pretty easy to get around in there. The only painting that was tough to get close to because of all the visitors was the Mona Lisa.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 1

they were able to find 3 spots. So we will be doing the transfer and then the tour independently. Will book the tickets online. 

Super, now your daughter can see the Louvre as you and she had hoped!

Hopefully you are putting everything behind you so you can enjoy the day instead of dwelling on what it took to get to this point.  ;)

• Like 2

On 6/12/2019 at 11:42 AM, ak1004 said:

This is outrageous. Not only they did it the last minute, so we don't have a chance to make alternative plans, but we also didn't get any notification. If was just removed from "my planner".

No, not outrageous.  Normal for cruising.  Things change quickly, witness the sudden Cuba ban with ships literally on their way to docking.  May not have anything to do with the cruise line and everything to do with the tour operator.  Cruise do not operate the tours in most cases, they contract third party tour operators.  Equipment breaks, people quit, issues happen, etc...  We've missed ports of call and have had tours cancelled the same day we arrive.  

Typically you DO get some sort of a notification that the tour was cancelled or altered, but as for it being cancelled, not unexpected in the world of cruising.  You have to be ready to 'go with the flow' onboard.

43 minutes ago, creativegenius said:

No, not outrageous.  Normal for cruising.  Things change quickly, witness the sudden Cuba ban with ships literally on their way to docking.  May not have anything to do with the cruise line and everything to do with the tour operator.  Cruise do not operate the tours in most cases, they contract third party tour operators.  Equipment breaks, people quit, issues happen, etc...  We've missed ports of call and have had tours cancelled the same day we arrive.  

Typically you DO get some sort of a notification that the tour was cancelled or altered, but as for it being cancelled, not unexpected in the world of cruising.  You have to be ready to 'go with the flow' onboard.

The "outrageous" part referred mostly to lack of communication. 

I'm going to put it behind and enjoy my cruise. Not going to waste any more time responding on this topic. I'm very impressed after 3 days on the ship and will give a proper credit where Celebrity deserves it. But this incident was a major screw up on Celebrity part.

On 6/12/2019 at 9:42 AM, ak1004 said:

I just found out from Facebook group that one of the tours we booked has been cancelled.

https://www.*****/372168902861920/?multi_permalinks=2261233693955422&notif_id=1560334455948066&notif_t=group_highlights

This is outrageous. Not only they did it the last minute, so we don't have a chance to make alternative plans, but we also didn't get any notification. If was just removed from "my planner".

Well done Celebrity. Once again I must say, after cutting prices on our cruise by 40%.

If you are looking for certainty, a cruise may not be a good vacation choice.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 11:30 AM, tce40 said:

At least you had two days.  My excursion was cancelled while I waited at the dock in St. Maarten.  Stuff happens!  I gave myself 15 seconds to feel sorry for myself as my cruise buddies had already left to do other excursions and then I thought...I'm in St. Maarten!!!!!  I turned and walked right into town, asked where I could go to pick up a tour....ended up with a group that we pieced together at the taxi stand and off we went all over the island.  Got to be right there when an airplane took off from Maho Beach, seeing all the people being blown back.  Ended up at Orient Beach (hahaha).  Life is what you make of it.  Some people just want to kvetch and complain and others learn to take the positives in life....and enjoy it!  You make the choice 🙂

Some people curse the darkness, some turn on a light.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ak1004 said:

The "outrageous" part referred mostly to lack of communication. 

I'm going to put it behind and enjoy my cruise. Not going to waste any more time responding on this topic. I'm very impressed after 3 days on the ship and will give a proper credit where Celebrity deserves it. But this incident was a major screw up on Celebrity part.

You aren't going to put it behind you just like you didn't put your post-final payment price drop issue behind you.  You brought that little nugget up once again.

You seem to think money buys you impervious entitlement despite published terms you agreed to stating otherwise.

If you feel this cruise line should break policy, lose money and rectify things outside their control, perhaps you should cancel your 2 (at least) future bookings because you now have reliable experience they won't.

I certainly wouldn't give my business to a company I thought didn't value me as a customer.  Will you continue to?

• Like 2