Tour cancelled 2 days before sailing. Outrageous.

ak1004

I just found out from Facebook group that one of the tours we booked has been cancelled.

https://www.*****/372168902861920/?multi_permalinks=2261233693955422&notif_id=1560334455948066&notif_t=group_highlights

This is outrageous. Not only they did it the last minute, so we don't have a chance to make alternative plans, but we also didn't get any notification. If was just removed from "my planner".

Well done Celebrity. Once again I must say, after cutting prices on our cruise by 40%.

We have had excursions cancelled on another cruise line and found out when we boarded.  Tour was  for day 2.  

At this point I would be looking for a independent tour which you could probably fill easily from the Roll Call.  Independent tours are normally less expensive and better, IME

• Like 3

We had a tour cancelled approximately 30 minutes before we were due to take it. Outrageous! 

Power problems at the Bacardi factory in San Juan. This was just a few weeks after the hurricane devastated the island and they were experiencing power issues all over the country. It's also outrageous that this should happen! 

• Like 1

Oh please, lets not encourage more posts on post-final price drops and fantasy company conspiracies! It’s a tough enough life having to go on these damnable cruising vacations, but somebody has to do it! 

Den

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

I just found out from Facebook group that one of the tours we booked has been cancelled.

https://www.*****/372168902861920/?multi_permalinks=2261233693955422&notif_id=1560334455948066&notif_t=group_highlights

This is outrageous. Not only they did it the last minute, so we don't have a chance to make alternative plans, but we also didn't get any notification. If was just removed from "my planner".

Well done Celebrity. Once again I must say, after cutting prices on our cruise by 40%.

Much ado about nothing...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've missed ports many times. I've had tours cancelled while on the ship. I had the Hotel  San Giorgio tell me that they would need to cancel my reservation one day prior to check in (that I was able to resolve). Guess life's not fair. Roll with the punches and stop concerning yourself about things you can't control.

• Like 2

Another complaint from this poster. Quell surprise. OP, your link is nonfunctional. I neither know, nor care, just how last minute this cancellation is. But if I was you, instead of kvetching about it on a forum I'd put my time to better use looking for a different excursion either with the ship, my Roll Call, or a new independent  provider. Is the cancellation frustrating? Undoubtedly. Outrageous? Apparently only to you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is frustrating when things happen at the last moment, but do they happen on purpose or it it a fault of the vender?  However, I would be on the internet/phone and see what else was available.  Life is short; disappointment is part of life.  I hope you can understand, but if not, there are many other cruise lines.  I also saw that the price you paid changed by 40%.  That too is frustrating, as it has happened to most of us...try to have a nice trip and do not allow others to control you! 

• Like 2

Amusing to see all the responses from Celebrity fanboys. Obviously Celebrity can do nothing wrong. EVER.

Missing ports is completely different. It is usually due to weather conditions that cannot be controlled, and passengers safety is put first. Which I completely understand and support.

In this case, I suspect the real reason was they did not meet the minimum number of participants. Which might be legal - still doesn't make it right. They charge outrageous prices for those tours (much higher than Oceania for example), so making slightly less on one single tour shouldn't be a big deal. 

What is even more outrageous is the way it was done - 2 days before the cruise sail, and without even sending a simple notice. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Amusing to see all the responses from Celebrity fanboys. Obviously Celebrity can do nothing wrong. EVER.

Missing ports is completely different. It is usually due to weather conditions that cannot be controlled, and passengers safety is put first. Which I completely understand and support.

In this case, I suspect the real reason was they did not meet the minimum number of participants. Which might be legal - still doesn't make it right. They charge outrageous prices for those tours (much higher than Oceania for example), so making slightly less on one single tour shouldn't be a big deal. 

What is even more outrageous is the way it was done - 2 days before the cruise sail, and without even sending a simple notice. 

Really? More than Oceania? That would take some doing. But let’s say there weren’t enough folks to fill the minimum requirement mandated by the tour provider and X was forced to cancel the excursion, what would you have expected them to do?

• Like 2

What bEwAbG said. 

Apparently you hate Celebrity, judging by your past posts.  I guess that makes you a Celebrity hater.  Why don't you go cruise on another line since this one seems to consistently let you down and break your heart?  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Really? More than Oceania? That would take some doing. But let’s say there weren’t enough folks to fill the minimum requirement mandated by the tour provider and X was forced to cancel the excursion, what would you have expected them to do?

"forced to cancel"? 2 days before the cruise? Without notice?

When I pay for a tour, I expect it to happen. No minimum requirement? This should not be my problem.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Again, something that happens across the industry and is not at all unique to Celebrity yet when people tell you the truth, you dismiss them with the snide "fanboy" tag.

We sailed on Oceania, Azamara, Princess, Cunard, Holland, RCI, Costa and Carnival. 12 cruises in total. Never happened. On Oceania and Azamara, some of the buses were half empty. Maybe 20-25 people. The tours still happened.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

When I pay for a tour, I expect it to happen. No minimum requirement? This should not be my problem.

Most tour companies have a minimum requirement and say that it could be cancelled if the minimum isn't reached.  Sometimes they give the option of everyone paying more to make up the difference.  Would that have been a preferable option?

• Like 1

At least you had two days.  My excursion was cancelled while I waited at the dock in St. Maarten.  Stuff happens!  I gave myself 15 seconds to feel sorry for myself as my cruise buddies had already left to do other excursions and then I thought...I'm in St. Maarten!!!!!  I turned and walked right into town, asked where I could go to pick up a tour....ended up with a group that we pieced together at the taxi stand and off we went all over the island.  Got to be right there when an airplane took off from Maho Beach, seeing all the people being blown back.  Ended up at Orient Beach (hahaha).  Life is what you make of it.  Some people just want to kvetch and complain and others learn to take the positives in life....and enjoy it!  You make the choice 🙂

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Fanboys? I think a few woman posted also! Ha ha... No, we are responding to just another ‘poor me’ post from you. If you actually think through this instead of constantly reacting, ‘they’ usually don’t cancel a tour due to numbers until it is very close since many book on board - this isn’t the issue unless your tour is the 1st port.   And if it was cancelled due to numbers, you have no idea if it was just a few short or many short. And you have no idea if its due to an issue with the vendor and timing has everything to do with why. In other words, you have no idea and it’s not just cancelled to personally antagonize you......well, hold that thought. 

And as to being informed, did you book directly with Celebrity or through an Agent? Celebrity doesn’t communicate directly with us unless we booked Directly With Them. 

By the way, make sure whoever you are next to getting on the ship, at the bar, in the hot tub, at dinner, in the theater, in the buffet, is ready for the onslaught. 

Den

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ak1004 said:

Then you may want to book private tours from now on so you won’t run into this issue ever again. 

• Like 3

Just because you haven't personally experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  I've had it happen on HAL but never on Celebrity.  Many of the descriptions clearly say they will cancel if they don't meet the minimum, and I would bet that most vendors wait until the absolute last minute to cancel in hopes they can make the tour happen.  They want to make money, after all.  

"Outrageous" would be if they cancelled the tour and charged you a fee for the cancellation rather than you being out exactly $0 once the refund of any monies paid comes through.  

And to prepare yourself: they may give you a refund in the form of OBC.  It should be refundable, so be sure you ask guest relations about that before you get outraged about it.

• Like 1