Tour cancelled 2 days before sailing. Outrageous.

ak1004

2 hours ago, kearney said:

I can understand OPs frustration... given the distance Paris is from the cruise port and the short amount of time you end up having in Paris. One reason we have not done a European cruise is that there isn't enough time to do the larger cities justice. The film 'Rendevous' captures my impression of doing Paris on a cruise.... intended to lighten the mood.. not a criticism at all. Rendevous

I’d suggest you look at the many things that can do on these ports that are set up to go inland to a major city, such as LeHavre to Paris. We’ve never done the Paris run because of the extended time to get there and back, and there are so many other ways of getting to and enjoying Paris. For LeHavre, there is a fantastic town nearby (quick 10-15min taxi max) - Honfleur. You’ve probably ‘seen’ it because so many Impressionist painters captured varous scenes in and around the town. It is a beautiful, lovely place to wander, have a glass of wine and dine at the harbor front. Loved it a couple of times!

With saying that about the extended time to go to Paris, we’ve done the run from the German port to Berlin; mainly because we’ve never been there and it was well worth the extended bus ride. We loved the tour! And we’ve done the On Your Own bus to Florence - which I’ll do any time Im even semi-close to Florence!

So think again about not doing Europe - there are a lot of things to do in ports near major cities, and in some cases worth the run to it. And fully realize this wasn’t a criticism of those that make the run. 

Den

23 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I think Mercedes prices are outrageous, and I'm still driving a Mercedes. Sometimes you know something is outrageously overpriced, and still willing to pay for it, for various reasons.

LOL, if you are willing to pay the price, then you really don't find it that outrageous or overpriced.  One only pays what one is willing to pay, so by definition if you buy a Mercedes then you don't consider it to be overpriced. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

LOL, if you are willing to pay the price, then you really don't find it that outrageous or overpriced.  One only pays what one is willing to pay, so by definition if you buy a Mercedes then you don't consider it to be overpriced. 

Well, not necessarily. People buy things for different reasons. I do consider Mercedes overpriced, but I buy it because I like it and can afford it. Very simple. Some people book suites on a cruise because they like it and can afford it - they still might consider them overpriced.

On 6/12/2019 at 11:53 AM, mom says said:

Another complaint from this poster. Quell surprise. OP, your link is nonfunctional. I neither know, nor care, just how last minute this cancellation is. But if I was you, instead of kvetching about it on a forum I'd put my time to better use looking for a different excursion either with the ship, my Roll Call, or a new independent  provider. Is the cancellation frustrating? Undoubtedly. Outrageous? Apparently only to you.

This OP looooves to complain about anything and everything, whether "outrageous" or not.  SMH!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Denny01 said:

I’d suggest you look at the many things that can do on these ports that are set up to go inland to a major city, such as LeHavre to Paris. We’ve never done the Paris run because of the extended time to get there and back, and there are so many other ways of getting to and enjoying Paris. For LeHavre, there is a fantastic town nearby (quick 10-15min taxi max) - Honfleur. You’ve probably ‘seen’ it because so many Impressionist painters captured varous scenes in and around the town. It is a beautiful, lovely place to wander, have a glass of wine and dine at the harbor front. Loved it a couple of times!

With saying that about the extended time to go to Paris, we’ve done the run from the German port to Berlin; mainly because we’ve never been there and it was well worth the extended bus ride. We loved the tour! And we’ve done the On Your Own bus to Florence - which I’ll do any time Im even semi-close to Florence!

So think again about not doing Europe - there are a lot of things to do in ports near major cities, and in some cases worth the run to it. And fully realize this wasn’t a criticism of those that make the run. 

Den

Fortunately we have been to Europe many times, just not via cruise ship. I would love to take DH to see Malta, which I have had the privilege of visiting on business several times... but his mobility is bad now and I can not imagine him sitting on an airplane for many hours...... Love Love Love Florence.... I can see why you would got there whenever possible. We should have tried the European cruise thing before DH wrecked his knee. :( 

And I think certain threads are ‘outrageous’ but I cant keep from adding to them. Usually a complete waste of time.

All the OP had to do was start a thread with: “My Louvre Tour was cancelled - any ideas to help?” Instead of another “Celebrity/etc/etc is outrageous” and spending all their time complaining abut what they think they are owed and how ‘it should have been done’, indicating they don’t understand cruising. Posters would have then responded with constructive ideas instead useless back and forths trying  to explain how cruise lines handle 3rd-party excursions for 6+hrs until the OP indicated they’d called their TA and was actually working the real issue. 

Den

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

And I think certain threads are ‘outrageous’ but I cant keep from adding to them. Usually a complete waste of time.

All the OP had to do was start a thread with: “My Louvre Tour was cancelled - any ideas to help?” Instead of another “Celebrity/etc/etc is outrageous” and spending all their time complaining abut what they think they are owed and how ‘it should have been done’, indicating they don’t understand cruising. Posters would have then responded with constructive ideas instead useless back and forths trying  to explain how cruise lines handle 3rd-party excursions for 6+hrs until the OP indicated they’d called their TA and was actually working the real issue. 

Den

Agree....  

• Like 1

Update:

We are on the ship now. Spoke to excursions desk. The lady told us that they had only one tour cancelled in Paris, and it was not the Louvre guided tour. She was very surprised when we showed her the email confirmation of the booking. She tried to find it in the system and it was not even there.

Then she suggested the Louvre transfer and said that the guide brings us inside the Louvre, just doesn't do the actual tour. Not true. According to tour description, it is transfer only. The transfer leaves at 8am and comes back at 6pm, and the only guided tours are at 11am and 2pm, so times don't match.

The lady was very friendly, and at the same time completely useless.

We cannot do Louvre now, and most other tours we would be interested in are sold out.

To summarize the experience:

1. Our Louvre guided tour has been cancelled 2 days before the cruise.
  2. No email has been sent. No notification has been provided on the ship. If I was not a member of Celebrity Facebook group, I would not even know about it till now.
  3. No alternatives have been provided. We now basically have zero options for our second day in Paris.

Still think my definition of "outrageous" was an overreaction?

8 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

............Still think my definition of "outrageous" was an overreaction?

Yes. If you want to go to the Louvre, you don’t need a guided tour in it, just use the transfer, or go over to the Louvre website and get a set entrance time ticket, and quit wasting time here. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 7

I don't see the problem with the Louvre transfer. It gets you to the building and you have plenty of time to look around or arrange a private tour. I'm sure they sell good guidebooks and may have an audio guide.

11 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Yes. If you want to go to the Louvre, you don’t need a guided tour in it, just use the transfer, or go over to the Louvre website and get a set entrance time ticket, and quit wasting time here. 

Den

So lack of communication, absence of notice, Excursions desk lack of knowledge - all normal in your opinion?

On 6/12/2019 at 6:32 PM, A Sixth? said:

To quote Shakespeare

"If you cut me do I not bleed?" 🙂

I just want to say we took a Canada/New England cruise a few years ago, and Canada was gorgeous. I never realized there were waterfalls in Quebec. Just an all around beautiful and relaxing trip. We're thinking our next cruise will be Canada, we loved the last one so much. Cheers!

22 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

So lack of communication, absence of notice, Excursions desk lack of knowledge - all normal in your opinion?

No, just not ‘outrageous’ and not something I’d spend time posting about over and over again, and then posting While On Cruise. 

enjoy

Den

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Den

Agree..you can get headphones there or an online tour guide.

I am surprised this was not resolved when all these good suggestions were posted. OP would have  had the louvre tix booked and the transfer in hand...

Sadly,  OP.... it seems you are spiting yourself and your daughter ...try being happy for her sake!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Update:

We are on the ship now. Spoke to excursions desk. The lady told us that they had only one tour cancelled in Paris, and it was not the Louvre guided tour. She was very surprised when we showed her the email confirmation of the booking. She tried to find it in the system and it was not even there.

Then she suggested the Louvre transfer and said that the guide brings us inside the Louvre, just doesn't do the actual tour. Not true. According to tour description, it is transfer only. The transfer leaves at 8am and comes back at 6pm, and the only guided tours are at 11am and 2pm, so times don't match.

The lady was very friendly, and at the same time completely useless.

We cannot do Louvre now, and most other tours we would be interested in are sold out.

To summarize the experience:

1. Our Louvre guided tour has been cancelled 2 days before the cruise.
  2. No email has been sent. No notification has been provided on the ship. If I was not a member of Celebrity Facebook group, I would not even know about it till now.
  3. No alternatives have been provided. We now basically have zero options for our second day in Paris.

Still think my definition of "outrageous" was an overreaction?

Yes, still think so.  

• Like 3

Definitely cutting off your nose to spite your face, not to mention ruining your daughter's day because of your inflexible attitude. You could have had a perfectly enjoyable day if you had booked the transfer to and from Paris and bought the Louvre tickets online,  as was suggested previously  by multiple posters. I've visited the Louvre several times and have never needed an actual guide to lead me by the hand.  They provide free maps. Guidebooks can be bought and/or audio guides rented. Docent led tours in English are provided by museum  staff. So don't come whining here that you have no options. You have plenty of options, but choose to opt for the "woe is me" route as usual.  Your daughter us the one I pity most. Her, and the poor unfortunate crewmembers at Guest Relations who will no doubt be dealing with you every day,.

• Like 10

On 6/12/2019 at 10:21 PM, ak1004 said:

We like that we don't have to worry about train schedules, traffic, taxis, potential strikes etc. I know we are overpaying, but at this point in our lives, convenience and comfort are more important to us than money.

Visiting Paris, and most of France can be unpredictable, especially in regard to strikes, locally known as a greve.  Just last week my daughter, who is a high school teacher, was leading a group of students on a 10-day trip to France.  They walked up to the doors of the Louvre at 9:00am to find it closed because the employees had decided that day to go on strike for some unknown reason.  The museum finally opened at 12:30 in the afternoon.   I never did get to visit the Musee d'Orsay for the very same reason a few years ago.  These selective, unannounced strike are commonplace in France, anything from the trains and subways to the museums and public venues, and even garbage collection.   How the French tolerate this is beyond me.  I hope you fare better than my daugher did, but know you know, just in case.

Edited by Lost Professor
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lost Professor said:

Visiting Paris, and most of France can be unpredictable, especially in regard to strikes, locally known as a greve.  Just last week my daughter, who is a high school teacher, was leading a group of students on a 10-day trip to France.  They walked up to the doors of the Louvre at 9:00am to find it closed because the employees had decided that day to go on strike for some unknown reason.  The museum finally opened at 12:30 in the afternoon.   I never did get to visit the Musee d'Orsay for the very same reason a few years ago.  These selective, unannounced strike are commonplace in France, anything from the trains and subways to the museums and public venues, and even garbage collection.   How the French tolerate this is beyond me.  I hope you fare better than my daugher did, but know you know, just in case.

We also have learned that you need to be flexible when traveling in Europe.  Once in Rome, the airport workers were in a union meeting for several days, and things were very chaotic (and dirty) at the airport.  I suspect they were really on strike, but for some reason, the official explanation was that they were in a meeting.  Another time, we were scheduled to fly into Rome the day of an announced strike.  We spent a whole day trying to change our flights, but were unsuccessful.  The strike was actually postponed that time, so we lucked out.  

I suspect it would not have been too difficult to find a private tour here, especially since the OP does not seem to be worried about cost. I personally would not buy a Mercedes if I believed it was overpriced, but to each his own.

8 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I think you misunderstood. They Louvre transfer gets you inside the Louvre (which is a good thing).  You do the touring of the louvre on your own and it sounds like they give you plenty of time to do that.  The "guide" mentioned is the person who joins you on the bus and takes you inside the museum.  I think you should jump on this if still available.  

• Like 1

It is well known that throughout the history of the human race, perhaps the universe itself, there has never been a tragedy of greater proportion. 

"Do you hear that, Fezzik? That is the sound of ultimate suffering."

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think you misunderstood. They Louvre transfer gets you inside the Louvre (which is a good thing).  You do the touring of the louvre on your own and it sounds like they give you plenty of time to do that.  The "guide" mentioned is the person who joins you on the bus and takes you inside the museum.  I think you should jump on this if still available.  

No they don't. They bring you outside the Louvre an you ate responsible to buy the tickets.