tipping

46 minutes ago, foz1946 said:

so somewhere In the middle would be ok lol

If you read your replies carefully, foz, you will see that Americans are replying to you without acknowledging or understanding that  you are asking a UK question.  Evaluate their responses accordingly.  😉  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DfDinLA said:

Foreign countries have different labor and wage regulations than we have in the USA.  Therefore, when traveling abroad I adopt local customs.

We try to follow customs of the country we are visiting.  Never cruised out of UK, but out of Sydney we did not tip and I would not tip in the UK.   In the US I usually give $10 for 3 bags.

4 minutes ago, DfDinLA said:

Typing is such an American thing.  Foreign countries have different labor and wage regulations than we have in the USA.  Therefore, when traveling abroad I adopt local customs.

So do I.  It's hard not to tip when traveling abroad as it's so customary in North America but I've gotten used to it.  When in Rome...

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

If you read your replies carefully, foz, you will see that Americans are replying to you without acknowledging or understanding that  you are asking a UK question.  Evaluate their responses accordingly.  😉  🙂

You re correct. I missed that it was Southhampton.

PS. I would do it anyways.

The only time l ever sailed from Miami, l couldn't avoid tipping the porter even if l wanted to. A hulking burly porter grabbed our bags, shoved them on a trolley less than 10 yards away then basically stood in our way, with his hand out - right under one of the signs that say you don't have to tip the porters.

Paid up $5 just to get past him.

1 hour ago, DfDinLA said:

Typing is such an American thing.  Foreign countries have different labor and wage regulations than we have in the USA.  Therefore, when traveling abroad I adopt local customs.

This. In the UK, there are two types of minimum wage: an absolute minimum wage, which no employer may pay less per hour than, and a "living wage", higher than the minimum wage. If working in industries where tipping is usual (hospitality, bars & restaurants, say) the minimum wages are never adjusted to allow for the employee probably also receiving tips.

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Why does it really matter?

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Most Brits don't automatically think Tip.

At Southampton the porter's get our cases from the taxi driver and put them on a trolley and wheel them to the main case transporter so £1 per case seems appropriate to me.

£1,€1 or $1 per case depending where we are is what I give to the porter and I'm from the UK.

Edited by grapau27

We didn't tip in Southampton and we didn't see anyone else tipping the porters in Southampton.  We also don't usually tip cruise porters here in the United States.  We will tip the taxi drivers and hotel porters who help but not a cruise porter who is already making good money.

• Like 2

I tip in the US, but I would never tip in the UK. I expected any price I am quoted includes a living wage for an employee.

I know this is not how it is done in the US so I know I should tip.

Most common type of tip would probably be the round up i.e. I might be charged £38 for a wash and blow dry I would hand over £40 and tell them to keep the change, taxis. In coffee shops they have bowls on the counter you can add your change too.

Dinner at a restaurant in the UK generally 10% not more than this.

I think the comment in regards to the US posters comments is to tip and ignore local customs is because pretty much every time a European or Australian says they don't tip in America because its against their customs. They get jumped on and lectured about how they have to tip when they are in the US. But then ignore the advice not to tip.