No Dress Code in MDR anymore?

AidenL

13 hours ago, freddie said:

Cynbar - You have astutely noted one of the serious weaknesses of the current corporate obsession with metrics:  the necessity to have good reviews, irrespective of the context of those reviews.  In our Yelp society, people can post negative reviews of services or people providing services without having to reveal anything about the posters' behavior.

The only thing that we other pax can do when we see things occur that might put a crew member in danger of receiving a totally-undeserved online slam from some jerk is to go to that crew member's supervisor (or hotel manager) and point out the facts of the encounter.   We have done so both with crew members on cruise ships and on airlines.

This is an excellent point, and one we all should remember. I myself have been a witness to encounters between passengers and crew, where the crew member is trying to enforce the rules and the passenger is yelling at him (or her) for it. I have not been proactive about seeking out a supervisor to describe the situation, but I will try to do that going forward. We complain on these boards about the disregard for rules, whether it is the dress code or chair hogs or whatever, but we never quite know what to do. If crew members are less afraid of repercussions, we may see a lot more respect for rules.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

There are flip flops that are meant for the beach or the shower, and then there are those that are sandals without a back strap. I hate that they all get lumped together. I have a wide variety of the latter and it’s all I wear in the summer. Stop looking at people’s feet and the problem will vanish!

I guess that as long as you are able to tell the rest of us which rules don't matter and which rules are enforced we will be ok.  Maybe they get lumped together because they are the same.  Can you make the same argument about T-shirts?  I have some that are very nice, one-solid color with a pocket and some that I git for running 10-k races.  I actually like the race T-shirts better, but which ones can I wear?  How about my ball cap?  I have a very nice all-wool hat with a solid color and block P for the Pittsburgh Pirates and some are very cheap with seed corn logos.  Which hat can I wear.

The problem is that when you try to decide which rules you can violate you put the staff in a difficult position.  They need to enforce the rules but they are at risk for irritating a passenger.  It's a no win situation for them.

• Like 2

We keep having threads on formal wear as though it’s going to change, it’s not. When we started cruising it was on ships that were 95% British and other European passengers, people dressed up. We then moved to cruises where the vast majority of cruisers were North American, totally different. 

This  is not meant as a dig at North American’s more just our observation that the level of formality when eating out in the states is in our experience having had many holidays there not the same as it is Britain although even here its changing. Cargo pants/shorts short sleeved shirts/tea shirts are the norm. Formal trousers, shirts, tie, suite you can forget about it in general. Celebrities policy on formal wear changed because it was not in line with what the average American passenger wanted and cruise lines and hotels are about keeping people happy and they then returning and spending money on another cruise.

• Like 3

On 6/20/2019 at 9:31 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

If they are going to stop the guy in shorts, they also need to stop the people in flip flops.

We saw  a group of men politely asked to leave by maitre d as they were being seated for MDR  lunch on Infinity,....They wore pool shorts, sleeveless pool tees and pool style flip flops...They did not protest as if  they knew this was coming!  Too bad they did not catch them at the door....at the table was a bit gauche..,but they were dressed for  the pool or beach

And   men should remove hats and ball caps in the dining rm...that's a basic

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, hcat said:

We saw  a group of men politely asked to leave by maitre d as they were being seated for MDR  lunch on Infinity,....They wore pool shorts, sleeveless pool tees and pool style flip flops...They did not protest as if  they knew this was coming!  Too bad they did not catch them at the door....at the table was a bit gauche..,but they were dressed for  the pool or beach

Agree, can picture my mother telling me that 60 some odd years ago  I don't mean to get after anyone but  ask seriously is that not taught in Texas. 

Edited by dkjretired

12 minutes ago, hcat said:

I wonder if they were asked to leave because of the shirts, shorts or flip-flops

45 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Agree, can picture my mother telling me that 60 some odd years ago  I don't mean to get after anyone but  ask seriously is that not taught in Texas. 

No, we are not taught any manners in Texas. 

Edited by Texed
  • Haha 2

On 6/20/2019 at 8:46 AM, oneputt18 said:

What is wrong with a plaid shirt, since that is really what a lumberjack shirt is, and plaid shirts are very much in style.

Agreed.  It is a collared button down shirt which is clearly acceptable.  Lumberjacks are handsome and snuggly why turn them away?😄

19 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

If people would abide by the rules, the problem would never even happened.

Well the rule lumping dressy flip flops in with the beach and shower ones is stupid and never should have happened. I follow all the other dress code rules, but consider my dress flip flops no different than sandals. I wear long black pants and I will be wearing my dressy flip flops with them. They cover all but my toes so no one will know. I will also be wearing them with my long skirts. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cyber Kat said:

Well the rule lumping dressy flip flops in with the beach and shower ones is stupid and never should have happened. I follow all the other dress code rules, but consider my dress flip flops no different than sandals. I wear long black pants and I will be wearing my dressy flip flops with them. They cover all but my toes so no one will know. I will also be wearing them with my long skirts. 

I'm ok with that if you let me decide which rules I don't have to follow.  For example, why can't I wear shorts.  Using your logic, I sit down at the table and the table cloth covers my legs.  No one at the table knows if I'm wear shorts.  So  with your logic, I should be allowed to wear shorts.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Texed said:

No, we are not taught any manners in Texas. 

Don't mean it as an insult but wife has many relatives from Texas and every time we visit or they visit it seems they wear their cowboy hats during meal time.  Maybe its just them. 

2 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Don't mean it as an insult but wife has many relatives from Texas and every time we visit or they visit it seems they wear their cowboy hats during meal time.  Maybe its just them. 

It's just them.  I was raised in Texas, and we were always taught to remove our hats when inside and have not personally had any relatives who didn't.  I don't think there is any one state that has a monopoly on boorish behavior.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

It's just them.  I was raised in Texas, and we were always taught to remove our hats when inside and have not personally had any relatives who didn't.  I don't think there is any one state that has a monopoly on boorish behavior.

Moved to Dallas in early 80’s for work. I remember big issue with Tom Landry’s hat when he traveled to the few dome stadiums at the time. I think he did not wear it in dome stadiums. 

45 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Moved to Dallas in early 80’s for work. I remember big issue with Tom Landry’s hat when he traveled to the few dome stadiums at the time. I think he did not wear it in dome stadiums. 

Interesting I also moved in early 80’s with oil company from nyc to Dallas. Early 80’s most people still had suites and ties on cruises by late 80’s we became casual , but not on formal nights. 

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm ok with that if you let me decide which rules I don't have to follow.  For example, why can't I wear shorts.  Using your logic, I sit down at the table and the table cloth covers my legs.  No one at the table knows if I'm wear shorts.  So  with your logic, I should be allowed to wear shorts.

Be my guest!  I follow all of the rules but that one, but I don't judge.  If you or anyone else wants to wear shorts.  I really don't care.  Frankly, I'm tired of the whole dress code discussion.  As long as you are clean and not smelling of stale sweat - I really no longer care.  There are so many more important things to worry about - like does my food taste good, is my wine glass full and is there chocolate for dessert.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

As long as you have a nice pedicure, I would never comment!😉  Actually, I would NEVER comment, period.  My thoughts, however...😁

The only thing I can say about "dress flip flops" is that they make a noise similar to smacking one's gum, so I don't think it's the best choice for dressy occasions, but for a Caribbean or Hawaii cruise, it's sort of "in the mood" of the islands. For colder cruiser, most wouldn't wear them, so not an issue.

Andrew

On my most recent cruise on Summit, a woman was sitting at the bar complaining about being turned away at Tuscan because her husband was wearing shorts.  Her angry comment - "it's a cruise - who dresses up".

Dressy Sandals and beach and pool flip flops are diff....most folks can tell the difference so really a non issue.

Worst  shorts we ever saw were on  Infinity.  2  young twentyish  females had on shiny short shorts up their butts,  half shirts and extreme  high heels .They thought they were the epitome of fashion....but were not admitted to the dining room. 

Different strokes for diff folks!

11 minutes ago, hcat said:

Worst  shorts we ever saw were on  Infinity.  2  young twentyish  females had on shiny short shorts up their butts,  half shirts and extreme  high heels .They thought they were the epitome of fashion....but were not admitted to the dining room. 

This just isn't right.  Those ladies should have been admitted, they could even sit at my table.  (as long as my wife says it's ok 😁)  Much better than flip flops

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Blazerboy said:

As long as you have a nice pedicure, I would never comment!😉  Actually, I would NEVER comment, period.  My thoughts, however...😁

The only thing I can say about "dress flip flops" is that they make a noise similar to smacking one's gum, so I don't think it's the best choice for dressy occasions, but for a Caribbean or Hawaii cruise, it's sort of "in the mood" of the islands. For colder cruiser, most wouldn't wear them, so not an issue.

Andrew

Always have a nice pedi for sandals on a cruise. I hate that noise too, so I’m careful when I walk 😁. I wouldn’t wear them in cooler weather, but I do love them for warm weather cruises like the Caribbean.  

25 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

This just isn't right.  Those ladies should have been admitted, they could even sit at my table.  (as long as my wife says it's ok 😁)  Much better than flip flops

Most of the "gentlemen"  in the atrium had to be closely watched...kind of funny as if these young  women would be interested in them.   Ha ha !

• Like 2