How to avoid politics at the dinner table?

MacinVic

11 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

A Jewish male most certainly could wear a baseball cap for religious reasons on a cruise.  Wearing a baseball cap meets the requirements of his religion and stands out less than a keppot. Would be too informal of a head covering to wear to the MDR for dinner (except maybe NCL) but lunch buffet it would make perfect sense.

I guess I don't understand wearing hats indoors.  Not to keep one warm.  Not to protect from the sun.  ???

28 minutes ago, clo said:

I guess I don't understand wearing hats indoors.  Not to keep one warm.  Not to protect from the sun.  ???

I don’t get the expectation to remove hats indoors, I don’t remove my shirt or pants when I go inside.  Different cultures have different traditions.

1 minute ago, ed01106 said:

I don’t get the expectation to remove hats indoors, I don’t remove my shirt or pants when I go inside.  Different cultures have different traditions.

So are there cultures that espouse baseball caps?

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:27 PM, clo said:

I'm very glad this topic was brought up.  When we can make our reservations I will get a two-top regardless of the time.  I am a card-carrying, foaming at the mouth liberal and would last maybe two minutes with some of those described.  Thanks for bringing it up.  It answered what I needed.

Can we sit together?

3 hours ago, ed01106 said:

A Jewish male most certainly could wear a baseball cap for religious reasons on a cruise.  Wearing a baseball cap meets the requirements of his religion and stands out less than a keppot. Would be too informal of a head covering to wear to the MDR for dinner (except maybe NCL) but lunch buffet it would make perfect sense.

I happen to be Jewish although not very observant.  However, I can assure you that an observant Jewish male would not wear a baseball cap because he did not want to be labeled as Jewish.  You can be sure that he will always wear a Kippah.  While wearing a baseball cap might satisfy the physical requirement of a head covering, it does not satisfy the moral requirement of the covering.  I wonder how many synagogues you have visited and especially conservative or orthodox synagogues where men are wearing baseball caps instead of kippot.  

I am sure that you have observed that the Pope also always wears a head covering.  When was the last time you saw him wearing a baseball cap or the Italian equivalent of a baseball cap.

DON

• Like 1

We dine as tables for two where possible unless we are with family and friends of course.

For shared tables at breakfast and lunch, if politics comes up, we either do not partake or change the subject.

If pushed, we will try and have a civilised discussion, and when that happens we find that the other parties quickly want to change the subject too.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:31 AM, SteveH2508 said:

It may well be, but my DW (who is American), was gobsmacked when she came to UK and saw how much more in-depth foreign news was reported in our UK newspapers.

Same can be said for here in Australia.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Not really, just people who don't like differences of opinion.

Differences of opinion are fine but lines get crossed quickly when someone goes from expressing an opinion on a contentious subject to forcefully proselytizing their own views as the only righteous position. 

Although this thread began with a discussion of conservatives, the left-wing partisans are equally obnoxious particularly when an American liberal describes Trump voters or UK lefties offer an opinion on Brexit supporters. 

Edited by K32682
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Differences of opinion are fine but lines get crossed quickly when someone goes from expressing an opinion on a contentious subject to forcefully proselytizing their own views as the only righteous position. 

Although this thread began with a discussion of conservatives, the left-wing partisans are equally obnoxious particularly when an American liberal describes Trump voters or UK lefties offer an opinion on Brexit supporters. 

Good observation - in far too many,  an effective belief in freedom of speech is as rare as moderation in expression.

7 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I happen to be Jewish although not very observant.  However, I can assure you that an observant Jewish male would not wear a baseball cap because he did not want to be labeled as Jewish.  You can be sure that he will always wear a Kippah.  While wearing a baseball cap might satisfy the physical requirement of a head covering, it does not satisfy the moral requirement of the covering.  I wonder how many synagogues you have visited and especially conservative or orthodox synagogues where men are wearing baseball caps instead of kippot.  

I am sure that you have observed that the Pope also always wears a head covering.  When was the last time you saw him wearing a baseball cap or the Italian equivalent of a baseball cap.

DON

I am also Jewish and as you are probably aware practices vary wildly form community to community and person to person.

My friend and sons always wear a hat when they eat, although they doesn’t wear a hat 100% of the time, but always when they dovin. So it is an extension of always puting something on his head before praying and that he always says hamotzi before eating, and then leaves it on until he finishes saying Birkat Hamazon.  In the MDR for dinner it wouldn’t be a baseball cap, mostly likely a kippot unless he is wearing a tux in which case it would be a top hat.  But for lunch buffet he is wearing what ever hat he brought to the pool to prevent his bald spot from sunburn, most likely a baseball cap.  And before you point out the buffet isn’t kosher, him and his family will eat vegetarian meals out of his home that were prepared on dishes that are not kosher.  (And his kids will sometimes experiment with non Kosher food).

I know my Rabbi (Reform) wears a baseball cap at our sukkot picnic and at the purim carnival. 

When I went to Israel with a multi-denominational Jewish group we were given baseball   caps (with the orgs name) The holy sits required we cover our head, but didn’t care if it was a baseball cap or kippot.

I don’t think I have ever seen the pope outside of a formal setting, so I don’t know what he wears informally, so I don’t think it is a good analogy.  Nor what one Catholic does is relevant to Jewish practice.

5 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

tin-foil-hat.png?w=670

Would this tasteful little number be acceptable in the MDR?:classic_rolleyes:

You should post this over on the Princess board.  They are gradually upgrading the technology on their ships to include benefits like bartenders knowing your drink preference as you walk up to the bar, cabin locks recognizing you and unlocking as you walk down the corridor, and much more.  It's all done with a small Medallion that you keep somewhere on your person

While many are embracing the change, there are some who threaten (angrily, I might add..) to wrap the device in layers of foil and hide it in their underwear drawer for the duration of the cruise.

Or throw it overboard, planning to start a panicked hunt for the lost passenger. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Yeah, I had to work at the Front Desk that night, so I couldn't sneak in and listen to them.  

Well, just about everyone has open seating options now.  I just don't like to start out at one table, get insulted or bored and have to move...

No matter what anyone says to you,  you are not obliged to respond. w ell.  perhaps other than law enforcemenrt.

If you do not rspond to the person goading a political convesafion, rthey will stop,

Don't answer them  

Turn to someoone else at the table and ignore political person

image.png.9d0ed393861f6ffdde4d82a51461b878.png

Edited by sail7seas

19 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I happen to be Jewish although not very observant.  However, I can assure you that an observant Jewish male would not wear a baseball cap because he did not want to be labeled as Jewish.  You can be sure that he will always wear a Kippah.  While wearing a baseball cap might satisfy the physical requirement of a head covering, it does not satisfy the moral requirement of the covering.  I wonder how many synagogues you have visited and especially conservative or orthodox synagogues where men are wearing baseball caps

DON

Since you asked

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2803125/the-pope-gets-new-hat-pontiff-tries-baseball-cap-general-audience-rome.html