How to avoid politics at the dinner table?

MacinVic

First off, we always go for fixed time (second sitting) dining, at a large (8-12) table because we greatly enjoy the conversation with others, especially from other parts of the world. Very very rarely has politics come up, it seems most people choose to avoid the subject.

That said, on our last cruise, for one mealtime it was just us and one other (delightful) American couple at table - the others being at a speciality restaurant or whatever.

We liked this couple and had enjoyed several wide-ranging conversations with them, both at dinner and elsewhere on board.

He politely asked us, as Brits, what we thought about the election of Trump as President, and said "l know politics is usually off limits, but we'd really be interested to know how non-Americans view our President."

We had a polite, and friendly discussion, before the arrival of dessert moved the conversation on to food likes and dislikes.

Easy for us Brits, ask an American where he is from: if its a coastal state or around the Great Lakes they are likely to be liberal/ European in outlook except east coast south of Washington. Anywhere else a redneck and so you can guess their views on Trump etc

Florida is hard, but few are true Floridians, so where they came from before retiring here

It's a start to avoid conflict !!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

And I suppose the same can be said for most brits, ask where they are from and you then know that they all vote a particular way, stereotypes and all.😋

It was tongue in cheek

Equally for Aussies call them Kiwis or vice versa

Or as a real wind up ask why there granddad or great granddad was sent to Australia

15 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

It was tongue in cheek

Or as a real wind up ask why there granddad or great granddad was sent to Australia

Yep, as was mine.

As for your query on grands came out, that is easy, the came for the sunshine, lifestyle and chance for their kids to win in sport..😋

2 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Easy for us Brits, ask an American where he is from: if its a coastal state or around the Great Lakes they are likely to be liberal/ European in outlook except east coast south of Washington. Anywhere else a redneck and so you can guess their views on Trump etc

Florida is hard, but few are true Floridians, so where they came from before retiring here

Deleted

Edited by Texas Tillie

22 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

It was tongue in cheek

If you are going for humor, I'd suggest you add some emojis. That's their purpose. 

6 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

If you are going for humor, I'd suggest you add some emojis. That's their purpose. 

No, that is their go to move.  Make a slam, and then if called on it, pretend it was a joke.  Interesting that the complaints about people in the MDR are all about one side, yet all the overtly political comments in THIS thread come from the side doing the complaining.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

No, that is their go to move.  Make a slam, and then if called on it, pretend it was a joke.  Interesting that the complaints about people in the MDR are all about one side, yet all the overtly political comments in THIS thread come from the side doing the complaining.  

Since the person who made the remark and then said it was "tongue in cheek" is British and the British are known for let's say "unusual" senses of humor, I'll believe that it was not serious. Some others on this thread, no way, they are down right nasty!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Deleted

8 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Deleted

I respectfully disagree with some of  the general ization and wonder  how you  came to those   misconceceptions.    🙂

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

I respectfully disagree with some of  the general ization and wonder  how you  came to those   misconceceptions.    🙂

Could you please explain what you mean since you referenced something that I deleted, so you never read it???????

I politely tell them..... I only discuss politics with people seated at my kitchen table, and this looks nothing like my table...so I'm not talking about that.   If they persist, I just quietly finish my meal, without adding to the conversation.   I have had the same issue at the hot tubs....when they want talk politics,  I leave. 

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Could you please explain what you mean since you referenced something that I deleted, so you never read it???????

Your comment was still posted when i wrote my message,  Appaently, it was  deleted after my post was entered. 

Clearly I read it and chose  to state my disagreerment, prior to you deleing your post,  rather strange to delet e it when  someone has quoted   and responded to it  and then imply I did n't read ?????.

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

Your comment was still posted when i wrote my message,  Appaently, it was  deleted after my post was entered. 

Clearly I read it and chose  to state my disagreerment, prior to you deleing your post,  rather strange to delet e it when  someone has quoted   and responded to it  and then imply I did n't read ?????.

I deleted the post within a minute of posting, many hours before your post appeared. My post was 14 hours ago. Your post was 5 hours ago. You could not possibly have seen it unless you saw it as I posted within a minute of deleting it and then waited 9 hours to hit send. Please explain or I will assume you were responding to someone elses post. OK, I think I see what you did. You were responding not to my post but the one (#203) that I had initially responded to. Please be careful on whose post you respond to. It wasn't me.

Edited by Texas Tillie

39 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I deleted the post within a minute of posting, many hours before your post appeared. My post was 14 hours ago. Your post was 5 hours ago. You could not possibly have seen it unless you saw it as I posted within a minute of deleting it and then waited 9 hours to hit send. Please explain or I will assume you were responding to someone elses post. OK, I think I see what you did. You were responding not to my post but the one (#203) that I had initially responded to. Please be careful on whose post you respond to. It wasn't me.

Or they are subscribed to this thread and it emailed to them???

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

The vagaries of the internet, someone always sees it before it gets deleted again.

13 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

OH  WELL... 🤨.  🌝

Edited by sail7seas

1 minute ago, sail7seas said:

The previous  format  of the CC     b oards  indicaed time of the  post ,  no longer is that the case.   Now it  only shows  hours  since   but  not   the  time.  .    You deleted   your post  and nOw comment about confusion..    🤨.  🌝

I figured out what you did. You meant to comment on the post I was commenting on in my deleted post, not what I deleted, but you clicked on my post. I was NOT the one commenting about people from different parts of the US. You clicked on my post, not the one your comment is about. 

On 6/26/2019 at 4:47 AM, GrJ Berkshire said:

Thanks for this data bit to help type-catalog Brits from Berkshire.

6 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I figured out what you did. You meant to comment on the post I was commenting on in my deleted post, not what I deleted, but you clicked on my post. I was NOT the one commenting about people from different parts of the US. You clicked on my post, not the one your comment is about. 

I am glad you have finally figured out what they may or may have done, when all they probably did was comment on your post before it was deleted. It can happen, you can let it go now.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I am glad you have finally figured out what they may or may have done, when all they probably did was comment on your post before it was deleted. It can happen, you can let it go now.

Thank you,  MicCanberra       🙂

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Final post on this subject. sail7seas comment, although on the post I deleted, was directed (or should have been directed) to GrJBerkshire who made an awful comment about some Americans. I do not want to be blamed for the comment. I never said it and don't think it. 

• Like 1