Deluxe Beverage Package question (new to RCCL)

14 minutes ago, FMZ said:

Does anyone know if the per drink limit on Harmony is $12 with thr package? I thought it was higher on the Oasis class ships? 

Usually $13 on Oasis class ships.

Thank you Travis for the spreadsheet that was fun & helped A LOT!! I have a question- we are going on Ovation of the Seas and not sure but is there a starbucks on it? If yes, does that count on the beverage package? I read that beverages are excluded of served inside a licensed starbucks store, so I guess if there is a starbucks on board my beverage card won't work there?

On 6/25/2019 at 9:16 PM, tomservo said:

Hello RCCL folks, I’ve ventured out of the safety of the NCL forums to prepare for my first Royal cruise on the Oasis next year, and had a drink package question. I’m used to getting it as a perk with NCL, so the concept of actually paying for a drink package is foreign to me. It looks like at the upper end, I can expect to pay nearly 1k for a drink package ($70x7 x 2 + grats?) This seems nuts, to pay nearly 1/3 of my cruise fare to add a drink package. Even X regularly offers the drink package as a perk. A few questions:

1)  Does anyone actually pay this much for it? Obviously people do, but has anyone on here done it? I guess it makes sense as long as you drink more than breakeven point but that seems like it would take some serious commitment. 

2) What would be the breakeven point? 7 drink or so per day?

3) Do they offer discounts, and do the packages ever go on sale?

My wife and I usually don’t drink more than 5 or 6 drinks on any given day, and typically average less than that, so if the breakeven is 7 then ala cart makes more sense for us. We like getting the drink package on NCL because the breakeven is closer to 2 or 3 drinks per day (they make you pay for inflated gratuities), and we normally are pretty frugal so having the drink package gives us the ability to drink freely and ignore our natural impulse to try to save money when we can. 

We cruise NCL and Celebity as well as Royal.  We don't care for the drink packages, since we drink mainly wine and about 4 glasses a day.  We are Diamond and Elite and the happy hour takes care of most of our alcohol needs.

If I drank 7 alcoholic drinks a day, I wouldn't be able to walk back to the cabin.

I am amazed what people pay for these drink packages.

I hate that Celebrity and NCL have bundled the pricing with drink packages, further driving up prices.  Hope Royal doesn't do that.

I know Celebrity now offers the no perk option, but their prices are still inflated.  Royal has the best prices now.

9 hours ago, Gmatothemax said:

Thank you Travis for the spreadsheet that was fun & helped A LOT!! I have a question- we are going on Ovation of the Seas and not sure but is there a starbucks on it? If yes, does that count on the beverage package? I read that beverages are excluded of served inside a licensed starbucks store, so I guess if there is a starbucks on board my beverage card won't work there?

If there is a Starbucks licensed store/kiosk, your package doesn't work there.  

However, the drink package DOES work at Royal's coffee bar (and in the dining room).  (It's called Cafe Promenade on most ships, but I'm not sure what they call it on that class.) So get your cappuccino or latte or whatever there, and you're golden!

On 6/26/2019 at 10:49 AM, tomservo said:

It's in May 2020. I just checked the cruise planner, it's 54pp right now, which is less than the 65-70pp their marketing material was quoting. I might book it now since it doesn't hurt, then keep my eyes open (especially around Black Friday) for when it drops. Is BF going to be the cheapest it gets?

I've found all major holidays to be good to snag cruise planner deals.  July 4th is coming soon so maybe but May 2020 is still a fair ways out so you might see much movement.  My Dec 2020 Allure cruise has had no movement on any price. 

All these light weights that can't get through 7 drinks a day!  I can't believe it. Come on if you put your mind to it you could do it easily. 

Breakfast - Mimosa

Mid morning - Baileys and Coffee

Lunch - 2 bottles of Strongbow (or whatever your beer of choice is)

Afternoon - 2 Pina Colada by the pool.

Dinner - 2 glasses of wine

Evening show - Cocktail of some variety.

Schooner bar to listen to the Piano guy - 2 more cocktails 

Add to that a soda or two at various times and Latte and some fresh squeezed OJ first thing in the morning and a couple bottles of water to keep you hydrated and you are saving a tonne. 

There's eleven and most folks are saying the break even point is for to five.

No spread sheet required.

You're welcome

🙂

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Gmatothemax said:

Just to add, Ovation (Quantum Class) has no Starbucks Kiosk, that would be on Oasis class.  That being said, I was on Anthem (Also Quantum Class) and the Café Promenade was serving specialty coffees in Starbucks cups and they were included in our bev package.

dp

9 minutes ago, dpostman said:

Just to add, Ovation (Quantum Class) has no Starbucks Kiosk, that would be on Oasis class.  That being said, I was on Anthem (Also Quantum Class) and the Café Promenade was serving specialty coffees in Starbucks cups and they were included in our bev package.

dp

Of course they were included, BECAUSE THERE IS NO STARBUCKS ON THE ANTHEM.

P.S. Oasis class ships are not the only ones with a Starbucks.  I  know that Mariner has one.  Navigator has one.

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

Of course they were included, BECAUSE THERE IS NO STARBUCKS ON THE ANTHEM.

P.S. Oasis class ships are not the only ones with a Starbucks.  I  know that Mariner has one.  Navigator has one.

Sorry MM that I was not clear enough but I though that was what I said.  Since I read that the OP was going on Ovation, I thought I would mention that Anthem as well, since it is also a Quantum class, do not have a Starbucks Kiosk.

I was unaware that Mariner and Navigator had one and wrongfully thought this was an Oasis class unique thing.  Sorry to impede on your territory.

dp

Edited by dpostman

2 minutes ago, dpostman said:

Sorry MM that I was not clear enough but I though that was what I said.  Since I read that the OP was going on Ovation, I thought I would mention that Anthem as well, since it is also a Quantum class, do not have a Starbucks Kiosk.

I was unaware that Mariner and Navigator had one and wrongfully thought this was an Oasis class unique thing.  Sorry to impede on your territory.

dp

I thought that your post needed to be clarified.  This question comes up so often, and people don't understand "how" or "why" venues are included or excluded.  

The Mariner and Navigator got them when they were "amped" recently.  🙂 

9 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

All these light weights that can't get through 7 drinks a day!  I can't believe it. Come on if you put your mind to it you could do it easily. 

Breakfast - Mimosa

Mid morning - Baileys and Coffee

Lunch - 2 bottles of Strongbow (or whatever your beer of choice is)

Afternoon - 2 Pina Colada by the pool.

Dinner - 2 glasses of wine

Evening show - Cocktail of some variety.

Schooner bar to listen to the Piano guy - 2 more cocktails 

Add to that a soda or two at various times and Latte and some fresh squeezed OJ first thing in the morning and a couple bottles of water to keep you hydrated and you are saving a tonne. 

There's eleven and most folks are saying the break even point is for to five.

No spread sheet required.

You're welcome

🙂

Tree,

Perhaps I am a light weight on drinking, but my liver is way healthier.   I have had two friends die of liver failure at age 65 or younger.  Enjoy your drinks while you can.

58 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Tree,

Perhaps I am a light weight on drinking, but my liver is way healthier.   I have had two friends die of liver failure at age 65 or younger.  Enjoy your drinks while you can.

47 minutes ago, fdthird said:

This is a rude and unnecessary post.  

45 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

No more than when I was called a lightweight.

Hey, sorry for the offense, it was just meant to be a light hearted joke.

:classic_smile:

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Hey, sorry for the offense, it was just meant to be a light hearted joke.

:classic_smile:

I didn't see a problem with your post. The topic is about value for money and as you rightfully say, even taking it easy, you could tip the balance to losing money by not taking the package. 👍

• Like 1

We bought the Dx packages on our next 4 cruises and have no problem getting our moneys worth! So, we're right there with ya Tree_skier! BTW, I am 66 years young and on no meds! MD says I'm overweight but my liver is healthy! Cheers!🍸😎 Even though we can use the DL, we still enjoy the Dx package!

Edited by SilkySal
deleted

If you get it a good price it is easy to break even without walking around blitzed.

I got mine for 49/DPP

Get a breakfast latte or smoothie.

A couple bottles of waters throughout the day.

Have a soda with lunch and some sparkling water.

Dinner a couple glasses of wine, sparkling water and a cappuccino.

A frozen drink or two by the pool.

It's a pretty good value.