Mattress topper

30 minutes ago, Midwestgal said:

Can you still request a mattress topper for your bed prior to cruise?

thanks in advance 

Not prior to cruise.  Ask your cabin attendant on board.  Some ships still have toppers others use extra blankets under the sheets 

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not prior to cruise.  Ask your cabin attendant on board.  Some ships still have toppers others use extra blankets under the sheets 

yes you can, I order one ahead of time for every cruise we are on.  Right now I have them ordered for all our cruises through the end of the year.  Just need to call and order it!!

7 minutes ago, karena1 said:

yes you can, I order one ahead of time for every cruise we are on.  Right now I have them ordered for all our cruises through the end of the year.  Just need to call and order it!!

Good to know, thanks.  I was going by reports that people had posted where they had been told that they no longer had egg crates yet some ships still use them. 

47 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Did you call the normal customer service number?

I was not able to get anything.  In previous threds many people thought the beds were hard and brought their own foam pads or other things to make sleeping more comfortable.  I brought my own and I am glad I did.  Beds were very hard in my opinion. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

So, you get a real 2” foam topper on every sailing?

That would be a big negative.  I’ve attached photos of what the cabin steward put on our bed last spring to deal with the board underneath.  It was like a super thin little quilt, 2 of them. They did nothing for our bed. Thank goodness we were smart and brought our own!

60EEBA71-5C49-4CEF-BA08-15DCF1F045E3.jpeg

956CD90A-A465-4082-96A1-D1251D3EAF78.jpeg

904C7681-86A2-41C3-88F7-60FD0EAA017A.jpeg

3E52CCB8-BB35-4A35-A2D9-66E35CFFCB3E.jpeg

Edited by Esmerelda

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Good to know, thanks.  I was going by reports that people had posted where they had been told that they no longer had egg crates yet some ships still use them. 

Yes no more egg crates...I believe it was a sanitary concern. The mattress toppers they offer now have seemed to work out fine....but I tend to wait and just see how the first night goes and then request one if necessary...some ships have ended up having very comfortable mattresses.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

So, you get a real 2” foam topper on every sailing?

What we want them for is to cover the "split" between the beds so it feels more like a king. We are fine with the firmness of the bed, just want the split covered up.  What we always get takes care of that.  i don't tear apart a bed to see what is underneath the sheets

2 hours ago, Esmerelda said:

It was like a super thin little quilt, 2 of them. They did nothing for our bed. Thank goodness we were smart and brought our own!

When you bring your own, do you just ask the cabin steward to put it on the next time he makes the bed? 

The bed comfort has many variables.  Obviously, what makes YOU comfortable is one factor.

Other variables:  The age of the ship.  The category of cabin you have.  The specific cabin that you have.  (newer ships, bigger suites = better bedding)

I was just on the Jewel for two months.  For the first month, I slept, but not all that comfortably.  Then a friend who had been sailing all that month went home, and bequeathed her "purple foamy" mattress topper to me. (she had carried it on with her). 

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!  (and yes, my cabin stewards not only happily put it on my bed for me, but moved it when I had to change cabins halfway in).

(I then bequeathed it to our wonderful server in Chops)

Last month I was on the Anthem.  The bed was OK. Next January, I'll be on for a month.  (I do not stay in Philadelphia in January, if I can help it.  😁 )  I intend to purchase and take my own foam topper.

So, that's my personal experience and opinion on the issue.

😊

• Like 2

11 hours ago, karena1 said:

i don't tear apart a bed to see what is underneath the sheets

Many here probably define "mattress topper" as the 2" foam padding that ships used to have and care mostly about firmness - so when you say you get that on every sailing, that might be a bit misleading to some.

We took our own with us for 41 nights on the Jewel, and 34 nights on the Adventure in March and April this year.  It's a 3" memory foam from Walmart, placed sideways on the mattress, with full coverage from bottom to where the pillow rests on the bed at the top.  We put it on ourselves, because we have other adjustments to make for our comfort.

It was heaven for 2.5 months!!!  And, it goes with us squished into it's own suitcase, ready to fly anywhere!

• Like 2

I brought a 2" memory foam topper on our Serenade crossing last April. There was no way I was risking 16 nights of poor sleep! Since it was brand new, it came in a plastic bag all shrink wrapped down. We just left it on the bed when we arrived in Barcelona. We have the exact same cabin next January. I wonder if it will still be there? We felt it was $50 well spent. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cello56 said:

I brought a 2" memory foam topper on our Serenade crossing last April. There was no way I was risking 16 nights of poor sleep! Since it was brand new, it came in a plastic bag all shrink wrapped down. We just left it on the bed when we arrived in Barcelona. We have the exact same cabin next January. I wonder if it will still be there? We felt it was $50 well spent. 

We did the same but bought a cheaper one. I would never use one that was used😱 I even bring my own pillow protectors and pillow cases.

1 hour ago, cello56 said:

For future reference:  Why not do what I did?  Pick a crew member who gave you outstanding service.  Give it to  him/her.  I am sure that their beds are way worse than ours.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 10:22 PM, Merion_Mom said:

The bed comfort has many variables.  Obviously, what makes YOU comfortable is one factor.

Other variables:  The age of the ship.  The category of cabin you have.  The specific cabin that you have.  (newer ships, bigger suites = better bedding)

I was just on the Jewel for two months.  For the first month, I slept, but not all that comfortably.  Then a friend who had been sailing all that month went home, and bequeathed her "purple foamy" mattress topper to me. (she had carried it on with her). 

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!  (and yes, my cabin stewards not only happily put it on my bed for me, but moved it when I had to change cabins halfway in).

(I then bequeathed it to our wonderful server in Chops)

Last month I was on the Anthem.  The bed was OK. Next January, I'll be on for a month.  (I do not stay in Philadelphia in January, if I can help it.  😁 )  I intend to purchase and take my own foam topper.

So, that's my personal experience and opinion on the issue.

😊

Carol, Target has a 2" egg crate (twin) for about $12 that works pretty well.  I leave it in the box it comes in and tape luggage tags to it.  When I leave the ship I give it to my cabin steward and they seem happy to get it.

• Like 3