double charge

markboston35

Just now, markboston35 said:

now you know how i feel. the bank will figure it out.

Definitely they will. If possible, use a credit card for future cruises. It makes life simpler :-) Hope you enjoyed your cruise!

1 minute ago, snirpville said:

You should be able to ask the bank if they see the "holds" NCL put on your account. And they should be able to tell you when they will fall off...

Assuming I understand 🙂

yes you got it. the bank will research it as i am disputing the charge and will figure out what happened. thanks for everyones help.

I'm confused too...

Was what you spent onboard the same they deducted from your bank? 

You should have received an itemized bill of all your transactions. Did you not see that outside your door the last night? 

1 minute ago, JennyB1977 said:

@markboston35 When you look at your account are the small amounts (under $1443) PENDING? If so, they will fall off within 7-10 business days.

As other posters have stated, please use a credit card and not a debit card for things like this. I hope this is not causing you financial hardship. Good luck

from now on i will do this. its not a pending charge. it took my whole paycheck today so at this point im wondering what happened too all my money if ncl didnt take it.

So, to figure out where all that money went, do you think it's possible that you could have spent that much? That's a pretty high amount, although some probably of it as chunk change.  You obviously didn't have the drink package, otherwise there'd be no charges for drinks, so, while it's none my business or anyone else's where you spent it, do you think it's possible that you spent it ? 

4 minutes ago, xcell said:

I'm confused too...

Was what you spent onboard the same they deducted from your bank? 

You should have received an itemized bill of all your transactions. Did you not see that outside your door the last night? 

unfortunately my girlfriend ended up taking it and im not able to get in touch with her at the moment i think she may have fallen asleep.

what initially confused me is ncl telling me its my bill from the cruise and my bank telling me its my cruise fare. i cant get in touch with ncl now to ask them they have high call volume.

Just now, All-ready2cruise said:

So, to figure out where all that money went, do you think it's possible that you could have spent that much? That's a pretty high amount, although some probably of it as chunk change.  You obviously didn't have the drink package, otherwise there'd be no charges for drinks, so, while it's none my business or anyone else's where you spent it, do you think it's possible that you spent it ? 

we had the drinks package. at the begining of the cruise i was getting more expensive stuff cuz i thought we have unlimited drinks but they only give you the basic package for free. i should of figured that.

direct from the NCL website

How do I pay for onboard expenses?

For your convenience, all shipboard expenses are charged to your Onboard account. Sign up when you check in, establishing your method of payment with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB Card, Diner's Club. You may also use your debit card however please be advised that we obtain pre-authorization, as we do for all Credit Cards, and some banks hold these funds for up to 30 days. Cash can also be used as a method of payment to settle your account with an initial deposit paid in advance.

Using your debit or ATM card

• Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio.
  • Please be advised that multiple holds will be placed on your debit card account based on your onboard purchases.
  • After settling your onboard folio, these debit card holds may remain on your account up to 30 days after the cruise ends.
  • To avoid overdraft charges from your bank, please make sure that you have enough available funds in your account during this hold period.
  • Norwegian will not be responsible for overdraft charges resulting from holds placed on Debit Card accounts.

Traveler’s Check / Cash Procedures

A cash deposit may be placed on your onboard account in the following amounts:

7 day cruises - $300 USD per person
Less than 7 days - $150 USD per person
More than 7 days - $450 USD per person

Once you have exceeded the deposited amount, your account will be closed to further charges. You can deposit as much money as often as you'd like throughout the cruise, however, refunds cannot be made until the day of disembarkation for any excess.

**Personal checks will not be accepted, nor can they be cashed on board.

• Like 1

Just confirming what others have told you.  It's surely a combination of the temporary authorization holds plus the actual final bill (which could wind up in effect "double charging" you until the holds fall off.)  And yes, all cruise lines (that I've ever been on) operate this way.

To avoid this you could have put cash upfront or use a credit card (as others have said.)  

5 minutes ago, markboston35 said:

unfortunately my girlfriend ended up taking it and im not able to get in touch with her at the moment i think she may have fallen asleep.

what initially confused me is ncl telling me its my bill from the cruise and my bank telling me its my cruise fare. i cant get in touch with ncl now to ask them they have high call volume.

That's because every merchant out there has a specific code that comes across with your charge. Retail, grocery, gas, etc etc. NCL have a merchant code that says Other - Cruiseline. NCL uses the same code for any transaction so it says that whether you're paying the cruise fare or onboard charges. Much like if you called a bank up about a charge from your grocery store -- the bank can't tell you if you actually purchased groceries or if the charge was for cigarettes and toilet paper, they just see the merchant code that it's a grocery store.

Edited by smplybcause

I still find it fascinating how people's misunderstanding of how debit cards vs credit cards work. You're gonna lose the dispute because you couldn't wait until your girlfriend was able to show you the itemized bill. Of course your bank is gonna say it's the cruise fair... They have no clue other than it shows up as NCL charges. They don't get a breakdown on how you spent it. 

• Like 1

Your kidding right?

How can you be confused?

Gf took the bill, she is sleeping now?

Do you not track what you spend?

Credit or debit ...same thing...  The end bill is paid....

5 minutes ago, xcell said:

How can you be confused?

It is VERY easy to get confused (and temporarily have DOUBLE the actual money temporarily - up to 30 days - taken from your checking account) when using a debit card.

That is why they are not recommended to use on a cruise - even by NCL.

Also, hotels and car rental companies do the same thing.  Just a heads up about using a debit card on your next trip.   😊    Hopefully the holds fall off the account soon and you have access to your money.    This site offers a good explanation - it's a bank issue (which they probably won't admit)

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/need-know-credit-debit-card-holds.php

I have been on 10 ncl cruises. My last one was the first time on the gem. Always used my debit card. This is the first cruise that NCL ( not my bank ) put holds on my debit card. Billed for $1,000 spent and $750 holds. Took a week to come off my account. I don, t understand why this cruise this happened but my other 9 cruises on other ncl ships had no holds and I spent a lot!!! More on those cruises.

5 hours ago, markboston35 said:

also they were charging my card during the cruise because i had to call my bank a bunch of times because they refused the charges because i forgot to tell the bank i was going out of the country.

Yes. You are 100% correct. During the cruise, the ship will run authorizations (not debited) to cover your charges. At the end of your cruise, they will charge the entire outstanding balance. The net effect is that over two times the amount owed will be authorized against your card. Your bank, not the cruise line, will determine when the authorizations expire. 

This happens whether you are using a credit card or debit card.

This is why NCL admonishes guest NOT to use debit cards. 

Using your debit or ATM card

• Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio.
  • Please be advised that multiple holds will be placed on your debit card account based on your onboard purchases.
  • After settling your onboard folio, these debit card holds may remain on your account up to 30 days after the cruise ends.
  • To avoid overdraft charges from your bank, please make sure that you have enough available funds in your account during this hold period.
  • Norwegian will not be responsible for overdraft charges resulting from holds placed on Debit Card accounts.

This is really wrong of them, the whole point of a hold is to ensure the funds are there for payment when the time comes, as soon as payment is made the holds should be removed.

I have no idea if this is a bank or NCL issue but once the holds have been claimed it should be removed as there is no further claim on funds.

It's really not acceptable to take payment and leave the holds on either a credit card or debit card.

Edited by ziggyuk

NOTHING is actually charged to your card until the cruise is over.  You used a DEBIT card...a big "no-no"...as they place HOLDS on your account.  It appears as if they've double charged you, but they haven't.  The "holds" will drop off once the actual charges have been paid.  Don't freak out.

You should either use cash or credit cards to avoid the "hold" situation that can affect your bank account!  Lesson learned!