Can we give the Key to other guests in our party?

Good morning! We have connecting staterooms on an upcoming Ovation of the Seas cruise. My DH and I purchased the Key but before we could purchase two more for our daughters, who are under the second room’s reservation, it was sold out. With just half of our family having the Key we presume we wouldn’t use most of the amenities (priority boarding, embarkation day lunch etc). So here’s the question. Does anyone have experience with a similar situation and would they let the kids “tag along” even if they don’t have the Key? Or can we switch our Key to them once onboard (we cannot do it online or through guest relations without risking losing it altogether)?  Do they issue a wristband for it and can we just give them to the kids or is it on our individual SeaPass? We’d like the kids to have it for priority times and access to onboard activities, which my DH and I don’t need. Thanks in advance and apologies for the long question. 

1 hour ago, SacCaliCruiser said:

Thanks in advance and apologies for the long question. 

Only the VOOM portion of Key is really shareable. While some staff may make allowances in your situation you are asking for something that was not envisioned with the program. I would cancel, get a one device VOOM package, and enjoy your time together without trying to figure out how to share something that is not meant to be. 

• Like 5

You are out of luck.  They need the key to join you and you can’t share the key.  You could just cancel the existing key purchases and stay together.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, HardyVA said:

I've never sailed with rcc before. What is a key and how do I get it? We are booked on Grandeur in April2020

The Key is a new program that you purchase in your cruise planner and get certain perks such as priority boarding and disembarkation, boarding day lunch at a specialty restaurant and special times on activities such as FlowRider. There are several threads in Cruise Critic about it. It varies when it becomes available but keep an eye on your cruise planner under “Internet and More.” If you do not have any loyalty perks and had planned to buy internet it’s well worth it at anywhere from $19 per person to $29 per person (per day). It does sell out though so watch for it and grab it while you can. 

Edited by SacCaliCruiser

47 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

.... if you have way too much money to spend .... 🙄

Not really, and no reason to be insulting.  $19 it can be a pretty good deal if you want to use the amenities it provides.   WIFI costs a minimum of $10 per day if bought with a drink package, so everything else only costs $50 on a 5 day cruise.

• Like 2

Can anyone advise me on the key package please.  I've just purchased this for my 3 day cruise in August.  My check in time on my sail pass said 2.30pm.  I'm assuming that will change now I've bought the key?  Most of the reason behind buying it was so we could spend a full day on board before we sail whilst we only have 3 days.  Anyone any experience of the key and how it works?

On 7/6/2019 at 1:31 PM, MrMarc said:

Not really, and no reason to be insulting.  $19 it can be a pretty good deal if you want to use the amenities it provides.   WIFI costs a minimum of $10 per day if bought with a drink package, so everything else only costs $50 on a 5 day cruise.

Is it back to $19 now?  It  started at $19.99 and went up to $39.99 on my sailing. Then it was  on sale for $24.99 closer to sail date.

12 minutes ago, pepsimiddleton said:

Can anyone advise me on the key package please.  I've just purchased this for my 3 day cruise in August.  My check in time on my sail pass said 2.30pm.  I'm assuming that will change now I've bought the key?  Most of the reason behind buying it was so we could spend a full day on board before we sail whilst we only have 3 days.  Anyone any experience of the key and how it works?

The check-in time is just a suggestion and is not enforced by Royal for cruises out of US ports.

15 minutes ago, pepsimiddleton said:

I would go to key review thread that is pinned at the top of the page. There is also a very long thread that has the pros and cons. The biggest cons were the time they scheduled for the flow rider and other activities and the other con was that the staff didn’t have a clue how the program worked. Hopefully by now they have figured it out. There are also some uTube videos out there.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, pepsimiddleton said:

Even without the key you can still board at 11 am. Having the key may get you onboard 15 minutes to 20 minutes earlier.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, frank808 said:

Here is the key and star class line for bumper cars right now on ovation.

20190707_183922.jpg

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing more about your experience. Hope your cruise is going well and you aren’t too bothered by smoke from the wildfire. 

Keep checking the cruise planner.  On one of our recent sailings it showed up and then a few weeks later it was gone.  About 4 weeks prior to sailing it showed up again.  Possible there may be some cancellations.