Rain Jacket or Umbrella

denmarks

I have a nylon rain jacket ofย Lands End brand. ย It weighs nothing and wadded up fits in a corner of the backpack or in a coat pocket. ย It is large enough that I can wear it over a winter coat and the hood is big enough to fit over any hat I would be wearing. ย It is vented so not to uncomfortable to wear. ย Anyway, ย I've had it for years. ย It goes with me everywhere we travel. ย One of the best things I've had for when it is raining. ย 

ย 

I also have a foldable felt hat of Orvis brand that that I like to have along when it is cold/rainy.ย 

5 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

I am a guy, only requirement is that it fits in my back pocket. To big for my pocket it goes in the trash, when it rains the $2.00 umbrella vendors are everywhere.ย 

This. This is all fellas need to know

18 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Thing is, if you are in London, or any major city in the UK, if it rains you are never more than a few feet from the nearest Pub.

ย 

And British Pubs are our greatest invention.

And you're also never more than a few feet from an enterprising street vendor who will switch wares from sunglasses to umbrellas in the blink of an eye!ย :classic_laugh:

I packย both. ย I have a teeny travel umbrella. ย It will keep my head and one shoulder dry, and I donโ€™t have to worry too much about poking someone in the eye with it.ย  When itโ€™s windy itโ€™s no good at all. ย So if itโ€™s raining hard enough that I mind one wet shoulder,ย or itโ€™sย blowing a bit, I have a thin nylon rain jacket with a hood. ย It weighs nothing and stows in its own little travel pouch. ย If itโ€™s cold, I can wear a fleece or a jumperย underneath.

Edited by lisiamc

I've brought an inexpensive zip up rain poncho for use onย northern altitude sailings.

ย 

I really don't care if it rains on me in the Caribbean, I'll dance in it.ย  I always chuckle to myself when I'm at a beach in the water when it starts raining and other folks run out to huddle under a palapa.ย  I'm already wet, and as long as there's no sign of lightning, I'll stay wet, no problem.

ย 

JMO, YMMV.

It depends on where and when.

ย 

I have some rain jackets that fold up into a pocket.ย  I carry these when traveling to places were rain is less likely.ย  Then I have various light weight jackets that range from rain only, to coolish weather.ย  I take one of these based on expected temps and rain.

ย 

And I pretty much always carry a small umbrella.

I don't buy any rain gear just for a vacation - I have so many to choose from at home. ย I'll monitor the weather forecasts and choose my rain jacket at the last second. ย I have a tiny umbrella that stays in a bag in case a rogue cloud decides to dump on me. ย ย 

Only one time did my method fail: ย My safari to Kenya. ย Fortunately, I realized that I left my rain shell on the table at home when I was going through my bag at the day hotel at LHR. ย I asked the Concierge where an outdoor store could be nearby and was directed to take the train into the next town. ย Found a store and bought a moderately-priced jacket. ย Had a nice walk around the town, too. ย I did need that jacket 2 days, so I was happy I got it. ย I gave it to one of our Masai "protectors" at our last camp (they would walk us to/from our tents at night to watch out for roaming wildlife). ย 

I ALWAYS pack a hooded waterproof windbreaker no matter where I am cruising. It takes up a negligible amount of space in an outside pocket of my carry-on suitcase while traveling to the port city, and then I move it to the tote bag that I take with me when going ashore in ports. It's been needed many times, either as protection from rain or the weather gets chilly. It's loose fitting enough to accommodate adding another layer if the weather is beyond chilly.

I would never carry an umbrella when touring in ports. I had the unpleasant experience of someone else's umbrella ribs almost poking me in the eye when an unexpected gust of wind caught it. I learned from that situation that umbrellas can be a safety hazard to others when in crowds.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 10:05 AM, denmarks said:

I just purchased a couple rain jackets that are a step above the disposable ponchos. They should last a few times unless snagged by something. Do you carry any type of rain ponchos or jackets on a cruise, just an umbrella, or both? These were about $6 each.

ย 

temp.jpg

We take rain jackets and rain ponchos.

We cruised in the Med this May gone and at the last minute I added our Regatta Packamacs and boy was I glad we had 3 monumental rain days out of 7.ย 

Going to the Med again in Sept and yup the macs are going too. ๐Ÿคž๐ŸŒž

I used to bring an umbrella, but found it difficult to juggle the umbrella, purse, wallet, etc., when trying to make a purchase from a street vendor.ย  A few cruises back, I bought DH and I packable rain jackets that DH carries in his little backpack.ย  If we need them, they're there, if not, it isn't like he's schlepping an umbrella around (which is also heavier).ย  I like having my hands free, and the jacket fits the bill.

ย 

Smooth Sailing!ย  ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚