Dining Mates

denmarks

Probably first time.  Even with our limited cruising we've seen far too many of the "seasoned" ones who only talk about how many cruises they've been on.  But those were larger ships - or what amounted to "larger" 15 to 20 years ago.  Our recent ones on Hurtgruten with 100 and 400 pax there was little to none of that.

Doesn't matter.  Personalities matter more.  There are extremes of both types, experienced or virgin. I'd rather deal with folks I can exchange ideas with rather than listen to rigid opinions or shy IDK types.

• Like 1

My dining mate is my mate. And since we're  both fairly seasoned cruisers.......

But if you mean choosing to sit at a larger table with  (as yet) strangers, we don't care, as long as they are congenial.

I prefer seasoned cruisers. That way they can tell me about when they started cruising how elegant it was. How you got a 5 cent piece of chocolate on your pillow, how you had to dress up each night and most importantly so they can tell me 15 or so times a meal about their Diamond status.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, CruiseRonJulie said:

I prefer seasoned cruisers. That way they can tell me about when they started cruising how elegant it was. How you got a 5 cent piece of chocolate on your pillow, how you had to dress up each night and most importantly so they can tell me 15 or so times a meal about their Diamond status.

Well for you to be aware of all that implies that you are a seasoned cruiser as well.  If so, is that the conversation you make?  While you make a humorous statement, you shouldn't paint a stereotype - not all of us "seasoned cruisers" are like that.  Besides while one may have a preference with one or the other, one rarely knows in advance who their table mates are, so it's not like you have a choice.

But one sure fix is to travel with fellow seasoned cruiser friends and either dine alone or dine with them.   That's what we do....

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

Doesn't matter.  Personalities matter more.  There are extremes of both types, experienced or virgin. I'd rather deal with folks I can exchange ideas with rather than listen to rigid opinions or shy IDK types.

Same here.  Doesn't matter.  I guess we are lucky because with a few rare exceptions everyone we have met are friendly folks.    

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

dine alone

I meet people very, VERY easily so I'm guessing by the end of the day I'll be ready for some quiet time.  Plus I'm really into food, both cooking and dining, so sometimes that's the focus of my meal.  Yes, and I'm one of those who take pix of their food 🙂

20190604_195057 - Edited.jpg

2 hours ago, clo said:

I meet people very, VERY easily so I'm guessing by the end of the day I'll be ready for some quiet time.  Plus I'm really into food, both cooking and dining, so sometimes that's the focus of my meal.  Yes, and I'm one of those who take pix of their food 🙂

20190604_195057 - Edited.jpg

Are...are those supposed to be scallops?