Moderno Prices increase?

kgtgirl

So we are about to go on the Gem, and had been planning to buy the specialty dining package. However after doing the math we realized that unless we were spending 80 per meal for 2 people it wasn't worth it. So I went to book just Moderno's which we like to go to. I know last year Moderno's was 25 per person, but on the ncl site its asking for 46 per person, now even with 20 percent tip that over 50 percent increase in price. Anyone know what the real price is?

Thanks

I have just looked at the Jade cruise early in November; her is what appears:-

Moderno

Looking for a unique experience? Our authentic Brazilian steakhouse is a must. Start with an impressive salad bar, but save room for skewers of slow-roasted meats carved tableside by our Pasadores.

• PRICE PER GUEST: $39
  • A 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be charged at time of payment.

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

There are several recent threads discussing the price increase in Moderno, as well as the other specialty venues.  Here’s one on Moderno specifically.  

I think we can all agree the prices for specialty dining have almost gone out of site, but then I was just laying in bed a few minutes ago thinking about this. Here is an example of restaurant pricing on land which may make some of us re-think the increase. A few weeks ago I met an old friend for lunch at one of our local sports bars. It is popular, fun and the food is pretty good, but gourmet? Not by any means, barely middle of the road. I had the specialty burger or the day and she had a nice but very simple salad. I had two glasses of wine, she had one: the bill with an 18% tip was $42.00. To top it off, thought the place wasn't crowded our service was just so so and my burger was not even so/so. It is dawning on me, how much we do pay when we dine out. Yes, I still think NCL specialty dining is a little far out there, but not as bad as I did before I started realizing how much we do pay for restaurant food. 

2 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

I think we can all agree the prices for specialty dining have almost gone out of site, but then I was just laying in bed a few minutes ago thinking about this. Here is an example of restaurant pricing on land which may make some of us re-think the increase. A few weeks ago I met an old friend for lunch at one of our local sports bars. It is popular, fun and the food is pretty good, but gourmet? Not by any means, barely middle of the road. I had the specialty burger or the day and she had a nice but very simple salad. I had two glasses of wine, she had one: the bill with an 18% tip was $42.00. To top it off, thought the place wasn't crowded our service was just so so and my burger was not even so/so. It is dawning on me, how much we do pay when we dine out. Yes, I still think NCL specialty dining is a little far out there, but not as bad as I did before I started realizing how much we do pay for restaurant food. 

The wine alone would set you back $42 bucks at NCL prices.

1 hour ago, davy jones said:

The wine alone would set you back $42 bucks at NCL prices.

This is true, but we are talking lunch, not dinner and we are talking a sports or pub type of restaurant, not an upscale dining experience. Believe me,  I am not totally justifying the new pricing, I am simply being realistic. If we examine what we pay on land we will realize what ships are charging and I don't mean only NCL by any means, we can see how the prices for dining have gone up, up and up again. I will also add, most of us do not pay that kind of money for wine as we have have the wine perk. Yes, there are some who choose not to pay the "free at sea" prices but my guess is not many. 

I think these continuing price increases are now reaching the insane, considering what you get...and considering there's a whole ship full of free food right there waiting for you.   Without the promo dining packages or the Platinum certificates, no way would I be eating at the specialities any longer.    And ever $10 meal price increase, the gratudity increases another $2.   

• Like 3

Nita is right.  Unless you have lunch at Denny's and order off the value menu you're going to spend $20 if you have a glass of wine.  Personally, I wouldn't spend the money for Moderno any longer.  When NCL first introduced the restaurant we thought it was great and went twice on one cruise.  We've gone on 4 different ships since then and it just hasn't been that good (maybe the novelty wore off) .   

10 minutes ago, emcelh said:

Nita is right.  Unless you have lunch at Denny's and order off the value menu you're going to spend $20 if you have a glass of wine. 

33 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

This is true, but we are talking lunch, not dinner and we are talking a sports or pub type of restaurant, not an upscale dining experience.

4 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

I had two glasses of wine, she had one: the bill with an 18% tip was $42.00.

We are certainly not talking about an upscale dining experience when it comes to Moderno either. And since the specialty restaurants do not include wine in the price, why are people comparing the cost in land restaurants with wine.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for the responses. I was having a hard time finding anything from 2019, only 2018. My husband and I talked about it and really the price increase doesn't seem worth it. I get that NCL has to make money, but its not like you haven't already paid to eat. So I guess its the dining room for us, which honestly I've never minded. Maybe one meal at Cagney's since we always enjoy the food there. 

It used to feel like on a cruise, the specialty dining was a little bit more $$ for a much better dining experience vs the MDR.  With these crazy prices NCL is charging now it is so expensive to do all the specialty dining.  They are destroying the appeal of it. I haven't sailed them in a few years and always thought I'd go back to them but after keeping up with these boards over time and seeing ALL the things they've changed and not for the better, I am not so sure. It feels like you go on a cruise and spend an extra million dollars over your cruise fare.  I know, I know, I'm stating the obvious and sound like a cranky old goat.  But NCL does leave me with a distinct feeling of not being valued as a customer with all their increases. They just want to take take take.

34 minutes ago, kgtgirl said:

Thank you everyone for the responses. I was having a hard time finding anything from 2019, only 2018. My husband and I talked about it and really the price increase doesn't seem worth it. I get that NCL has to make money, but its not like you haven't already paid to eat. So I guess its the dining room for us, which honestly I've never minded. Maybe one meal at Cagney's since we always enjoy the food there. 

And that's a good point you make, and frequently not considered.  Yes.  You have already bought and paid for an evening meal, all the food you care to eat.   You will not get reimbursed for missing that meal.   So, whatever that meal's value might be (I have no idea) you actually need to tack onto the cost of the speciality meal you purchase in order to determine what you are actually paying for that speciality meal.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, electro said:

We are certainly not talking about an upscale dining experience when it comes to Moderno either. And since the specialty restaurants do not include wine in the price, why are people comparing the cost in land restaurants with wine.

sorry. considering the type of restaurant I am talking about we are talking upscale.  I didn't say Ruth Chris upscale but Brazilian steak houses are hardly considered the same as say, Chili's or the down the street bar and grill. I think you are missing the point here: we do have lots of choices free on cruise lines, is paying almost $50 a person for a specialty restaurant it? I have said, probably not, but the when you look at the entire picture it is a little easier to understand the price increases. They are happening everywhere I compared the price including wine just to explain what my bill was. OK take off the wine and my bill was still close to $30 because wine at the establishment wasn't that expensive. and we are talking lunch btw.  I do agree the pricing has gotten so high I would not pay it either. I will use my plat plus or my dining package for specialty dining. 

Only Moderno for us is platinum certificate, never thought it was worth $29, considering we already paid for a meal in the complimentary dining rooms 4 months before sailing.  Attempts to justify $39pp are weak.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

sorry. considering the type of restaurant I am talking about we are talking upscale.  I didn't say Ruth Chris upscale but Brazilian steak houses are hardly considered the same as say, Chili's or the down the street bar and grill. I think you are missing the point here: we do have lots of choices free on cruise lines, is paying almost $50 a person for a specialty restaurant it? I have said, probably not, but the when you look at the entire picture it is a little easier to understand the price increases. They are happening everywhere I compared the price including wine just to explain what my bill was. OK take off the wine and my bill was still close to $30 because wine at the establishment wasn't that expensive. and we are talking lunch btw.  I do agree the pricing has gotten so high I would not pay it either. I will use my plat plus or my dining package for specialty dining. 

I have to respectfully disagree. Brazilian steak houses on land may be considered upscale but from my experience Moderno is not. The quality (dry over salted meat) is no where near the price they are charging and when you factor in the fact that you have already paid for a meal that you will not be having the price borders on the ridiculous. Maybe I am biased as I didn't think it was worth it at $20.

Lois

8 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Except that it is supposed to be subsidized not full price of what you would find on land and the problem with Moderno is that it is nowhere near the quality of a Brazilian steakhouse on land.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, electro said:

I have to respectfully disagree. Brazilian steak houses on land may be considered upscale but from my experience Moderno is not. The quality (dry over salted meat) is no where near the price they are charging and when you factor in the fact that you have already paid for a meal that you will not be having the price borders on the ridiculous. Maybe I am biased as I didn't think it was worth it at $20.

Lois

Well we will have to agree to disagree on this I guess. I may not always love the food at Modernos but it is certainly in a classification of upscale in my opinion and I have been lucky enough to have eaten all over the world in upscale and very low scale restaurants. As I said, I am not saying the food is always cooked the way each of us like it, but it still would be classified upscale. BTW we have been told Modernos may be on their way out.