SUPER BOWL 2020 FLYING IN DAY OF

I know, I know, don't fly in day of cruise.  Will be only the 2nd time in 30 cruises where we have not flown in at least day before, but:

Cruise is out of Ft Lauderdale on Friday, January 31, 2020.  Hotel rooms are hard to find, excessively expensive and are requiring non refundable payment due to Super Bowl.

So booked non stop flights from Richmond, VA morning of, arriving at 9:30 a.m. into Ft. Lauderdale and booked the flights thru Royal Air and Sea program.

Note to self:  Check where Super Bowl is playing before you get heart set on a particular cruise.

• Like 2

I was thinking drive down to at least central Florida, spend the night there (if it's not too expensive), then drive the rest of the way the morning of the cruise.

• Like 3

It's important to remember that even when you plan to arrive at the port a day earlier, that doesn't always happen.   It's happened to me four times in the past few years, requiring me to rebook a same-day flight for the cruise.  I see no problem with your flight plans, especially since it's direct which eliminates one failure point (connecting flight).  I'd do it.  Weather is of course a concern but then it always is, whether flying in a day early or on cruise day.  All four of my events were due to unexpected weather affecting not my home airport but ATL where I was connecting...on the day before the cruise, and with the cascading effect that has on the airline schedules.

• Like 1

Unfortunately driving would necessitate extra day of tight vacation and the thought of 14 hour drive home after a relaxing vacation...well. But if weather comes will certainly do whatever. Never had to test royal air services but hope if needed all will be less stressful 

We leave on our first Celebrity cruise that day from Ft. Lauderdale.  When I looked at the Embassy Suites it was $1,240 a night!!!  At that point I realized it was Super Bowl weekend.  We got the Hyatt for $280.  Luckily, we are retired and can take our time driving down.  I never thought about checking for Super Bowl, but I will from now on.

I certainly understand why you are flying in day of the cruise.  Be sure you have a good travel insurance policy well in advance of any weather situations.  Good luck and have a great time.

• Like 1

We had a cruise on Celebrity that was supposed to sail out of Miami on Jan 31, but it was canceled. 

However, many here on CC had made reservations, and found that flights were less expensive on the 29th. Also, flying into Ft Myers, or Orlando, on the 29th or 30th, and then renting a car and driving a few hours on the 31st, was less expensive. 

We were also cautioned that the stadium is actually close to FLL, and you might have difficulty getting transportation. Uber will probably have surge pricing, and taxis might not be as readily available. So using a car rental near the port with shuttle service might be better. 

Of course, most are just guessing what it will be like. Just beware that may take longer to get to the port if you’re flying in the day of the cruise. 

And have s great cruise. 

We sailed once during Super Bowl, and they showed the game in the theater, on a big screen. They divided the seats down the middle, so each teams side was decorated, and served bar food, hamburgers, hot dogs, bbq wings, etc @ the back of the theatre. However that wasn’t on sailing day,  when they may need the theatre for Muster. 

• Like 1

I inadvertently did this too, about 10 years ago, only flew from Tampa to ft Lauderdale, southwest used to run 39.00 specials. The problem was the air space. Everyone who had a private plane was also flying in, so we were in a holding pattern, just flying around in circles for about 2 hours, luckily still landed with enough time. Then the traffic was bumper to bumper. I learned my lesson and now check super Bowl schedules.

We live in Northern VA and usually fly down late Saturday for a Sunday cruise.  I doubt you'll have to worry about weather issues and an early morning flight gives you some contingency for delays. 

If it appears a snowmageddon is heading your way then you can always look into renting a car and driving to Charlotte as a backup.  We had to do that one year (went so far as making the rental car reservation) but it all worked out in the end.  

22 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

You should absolutely fine!👍

How would you know that?  January in Virginia might have snow, plane could have a mechanical, crew could be out of time,  If flight in not an originator it might not get to Virginia or might be running late.  OP, lots of luck.  Not that big a gambler.

Just now, Snit13 said:

How would you know that?  January in Virginia might have snow, plane could have a mechanical, crew could be out of time,  If flight in not an originator it might not get to Virginia or might be running late.  OP, lots of luck.  Not that big a gambler.

They sky might be falling!🤔🙄😱

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I was thinking drive down to at least central Florida, spend the night there (if it's not too expensive), then drive the rest of the way the morning of the cruise.

Many drive to Ft. Pierce and spend the night there.  Reasonable motel rates most of the time.

I was there last time the Super Bowl was in Miami/Ft Lauderdale area.. and we are going to do it again next year..  We flew in the day before .. no issues getting a shuttle from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami.. and the next day no issue getting a cab to the pier.. Now there was a snowstorm up North.. and one of the couples we were traveling with had their flight canceled as they were supposed to arrive a day early also.. but they arrived the day of the cruise.. the same day of the Super Bowl.. and had no issue getting a shuttle from Ft. Lauderdale to POM.  

23 hours ago, rakes5 said:

We were also cautioned that the stadium is actually close to FLL, and you might have difficulty getting transportation. Uber will probably have surge pricing, and taxis might not be as readily available. So using a car rental near the port with shuttle service might be better. 

Of course, most are just guessing what it will be like. Just beware that may take longer to get to the port if you’re flying in the day of the cruise. 

Title of original post is confusing - they are flying in day of cruise, not the day of the Super Bowl :classic_tongue:

Our cruise actually ends on February 1, which is the day before the Super Bowl.  Our flight home is at 11:25.  Do you think there will be sufficient cabs/Uber/Lyft available that morning, or will they be in use elsewhere?  I'm not a football fan, so it never occurred to me that the game might be that weekend.  Now I'm starting to panic a bit.🥺

Pat

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vistapat said:

Our cruise actually ends on February 1, which is the day before the Super Bowl.  Our flight home is at 11:25.  Do you think there will be sufficient cabs/Uber/Lyft available that morning, or will they be in use elsewhere?  I'm not a football fan, so it never occurred to me that the game might be that weekend.  Now I'm starting to panic a bit.🥺

Pat

You should be OK in the morning.  Uber might have surge pricing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vistapat said:

Pat

Can you book a transfer through RCL?  I never do that--but, in your situation I think I might.  They will have dedicated buses chartered.  May be expensive.

14 hours ago, vistapat said:

Pat

you will be fine.. we didn't have an issue finding a cab in Miami even on the morning of the Super bowl.. so the day before you will be fine 🙂