Does this bother anyone else?

UrbanGirlie

40 minutes ago, LessWorkMoreTravel said:

I'm a fraud investigator and this troubled me also.  Since this was my first Princess cruise, I didn't realize they used to do it with hard copy signage.  It's really not a smart thing to do.  People can glean a lot of info from a name.  I can picture someone calling up and pretending to be from Guest Services and saying "Hello Mr or Mrs. Doe, your credit card info is not working.  Can you give me a new number?"  And yeah, the creepy possibilities for kids are just not good.   

If you are dumb enough to give your credit card number to someone who called you then you might deserve some fraud. Either way you are never responsible for fraud on your credit card.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fluffybunny22 said:

If you are dumb enough to give your credit card number to someone who called you then you might deserve some fraud. Either way you are never responsible for fraud on your credit card.

You took the words out of my mouth!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

How many people actually look at the caller id number when receiving a call?

Oh, I'd say 99.9% actually look at their caller ID when receiving a call.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

How many people actually look at the caller id number when receiving a call?

Whenever I receive a call on my cabin phone I look at the caller name. You can’t miss it. I think most do look. I can’t recall about Princess but on most cruise lines if you call another cabin it shows the name of the cabin occupant you are calling.   

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

I just did a training on this topic a topic at work. Your name is not, on it's own, considered personal identifying information (PII). It would need to be in combination with one of the following:

• Home Address
  • City
  • State
  • Zip Code
  • Country
  • Telephone #
  • Age, Date of Birth, especially if non-specific
  • Gender or race

I am a solo female traveler and this wouldn't/doesn't bother me. I don't have FB or Instagram. I am trying to figure out how my name and cabin # on a ship could be used to "harm". I'm savvy enough that I wouldn't give out CC information over the phone, I'd go to Guest Services if there was an issue. I also use a cash account on board. I am also trying to figure out how knowing a child's name might be an issue. My nephew's are 10 and 8. First, they would either be in the kid's club or with an adult. No way on God's green Earth or blue ocean my sister is letting those two walk around alone....

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 3

I would have no issue with any of our names on cabin.  I want our friends to find us.  I feel safe on a cruise and take all proper precautions to guard my identity and property.  My Children would be under adult supervision at all times  and those who are older would never be out alone.  We had several family groups on our last cruise.  We worried more about the 94 year old getting lost or in trouble!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, fluffybunny22 said:

If you are dumb enough to give your credit card number to someone who called you then you might deserve some fraud.

Of course, let's blame the victim. So much easier than going after the predator.

Even the most careful of us make mistakes. 

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

Of course, let's blame the victim. So much easier than going after the predator.

The bank is the actual victim as they are the one suffering the loss. No one legit is going to call you and ask for your credit card number. Or your SSN. Just a life lesson.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, broberts said:

This is when looking at the caller ID on your stateroom phone would come in handy.  Who would give their credit card number over the phone anyway? If guest services would call in regards to your stateroom account they would request you come down to guest services to give them the required info. This is when common sense comes into play.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

8 minutes ago, chabad said:

This is when looking at the caller ID on your stateroom phone would come in handy.  Who would give their credit card number over the phone anyway? If guest services would call in regards to your stateroom account they would request you come down to guest services to give them the required info. This is when common sense comes into play.

Anyone stupid enough to give out their personal credit card number on a ship would probably do the same thing at home. 

There's no help for some people even if they've been warned again & again.

1 hour ago, chabad said:

Oh, I'd say 99.9% actually look at their caller ID when receiving a call.

So all you'll see is a tel number from some phone at a bar or some lounge.

No criminal is that dumb to use their own cabin phone.  

32 minutes ago, broberts said:

Well here's one that you many not make if someone calls you on the ship. :classic_laugh:

3 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

So all you'll see is a tel number from some phone at a bar or some lounge.

No criminal is that dumb to use their own cabin phone.  

Besides the fact I would never answer the phone if I saw a public area show up on my caller ID, unless it was Guest Services calling. Why would I give someone my credit card  info, who calling from a public area phone ? Once again common sense is needed folks, as you would have to be a complete moron to provide credit card information to an unknow.

18 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

Which were paper, and could be easily removed on the passenger's whim.

This is a change.

But as posted up stream you can still take it out, it offers “don’t display” as an option.

And now that the discussion has shifted to phone calls and credit card fraud, it sort of emphasizes the point that there is nothing unique about being a woman traveling solo that makes her any more vulnerable than anyone else.  In a world where spokeo exists, none of us can shield our address, phone number, voter registration, household income or criminal record from others.  There is simply no way that you are more exposed or more vulnerable on a ship than you are off of it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JennyB1977 said:

I am also trying to figure out how knowing a child's name might be an issue. My nephew's are 10 and 8. First, they would either be in the kid's club or with an adult. No way on God's green Earth or blue ocean my sister is letting those two walk around alone....

At some point kids get some freedom.  We cruised last year with friends and for the first time our kid got to walk around the ship with his friends (and no adult).  I was worried every single time but I let him go because it's important for him.  It was the first time he had that kind of freedom on a cruise.  On Royal our names weren't on our door.  Nor have they been on DCL or NCL.  All of our previous cruises if someone knew his name it's because they met him at the meet and greet or they were staff.  So I would expect him to be polite and maybe engage in chit chat when spoken to (granted we were with him).  He would assume if they addressed him by name, then they met him previously and he doesn't remember.  Now Princess has added an element where someone could know his name but be a total stranger.  All they have to do is watch us go in our room to know our names.  I will admit there's probably nothing that will happen because strangers know his name.  I, as a protective parent of an only child, would be happier to not have my child's name on the door.  If they want to just put my last name or initials, fine.  But we will deal with whatever. 

I'm tempted to post this question on the NCL or Royal board.  Wonder how they would feel about their names being on their cabin door.  Seems the Princess folks are used to it and don't mind.  I also wonder why it's totally fine on a cruise ship, but I've never seen a hotel do it.  Oh well, I'm not crazy about it but I'll be ok 🙂

31 minutes ago, chabad said:

Besides the fact I would never answer the phone if I saw a public area show up on my caller ID, unless it was Guest Services calling. Why would I give someone my credit card  info, who calling from a public area phone ? Once again common sense is needed folks, as you would have to be a complete moron to provide credit card information to an unknow.

Jeez chabad, a complete moron would mean that there is not one neuron of sensibility.  Try to be a little civil, will you. I do see that this thread has devolved from a very reasonable OP concern about names being  visible into a name calling diatribe about how brighter you are than those who may have been, or are concerned about, being scammed.

I am out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chabad said:

Exactly that happened to me a few years ago They asked me to bring my card to Guest Relations to verify the number. 

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

Exactly that happened to me a few years ago They asked me to bring my card to Guest Relations to verify the number. 

I had the same as well happen a few years ago. Went down to Guest Services to settle.

1 hour ago, chabad said:

At home I do look to see who's calling but on a ship, no way. I just answer. 

There are very few calls from anyone no less someone who's trying to scam me.

Of course it could always be someone who found my husbands medallion & checking to see if there was any one in the cabin before entering. :classic_laugh: