I can't be the only person dumb enough....

to take other peoples kids on vacation!

We are taking my daughters BFF with us on our cruise in December and I am now getting around to making sure we have all our paperwork in order.  I called Royal this morning and was told that all we need for the minor child to travel with us is a notarized letter from both parents granting us guardianship for the duration of the cruise.  My history with Royal tells me I need to call 99 more times and then average the answers to get the most probable correct answer.... but I figured I would search here first.  I did not find the answer so I am asking... 

Everyone in our travel party including the BFF will have a passport.  So is a notarized letter really the only other item we need?  (I can be the only person to have ever tried to do this right?). 

Part of the agreement with her parents for this trip to happen is that they will be waiting by the phone just in case we need them to fax something else at the last minute when we are trying to board.  We also will have travel medical insurance for each person.

Ok - folks what have I not thought of?

That's about it. Notarized letter signed by BOTH parents granting you permission (that you may or may not be asked for). I would also have a letter authorizing you to make any medical decisions.

Good call on the passport. Though not necessarily required, a good idea.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

That's about it. Notarized letter signed by BOTH parents granting you permission (that you may or may not be asked for). I would also have a letter authorizing you to make any medical decisions.

Good call on the passport. Though not necessarily required, a good idea.

The notarized letter should also include permission to sign waivers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TexasPirate said:

to take other peoples kids on vacation!

We are taking my daughters BFF with us on our cruise in December and I am now getting around to making sure we have all our paperwork in order.  I called Royal this morning and was told that all we need for the minor child to travel with us is a notarized letter from both parents granting us guardianship for the duration of the cruise.  My history with Royal tells me I need to call 99 more times and then average the answers to get the most probable correct answer.... but I figured I would search here first.  I did not find the answer so I am asking... 

Everyone in our travel party including the BFF will have a passport.  So is a notarized letter really the only other item we need?  (I can be the only person to have ever tried to do this right?). 

Part of the agreement with her parents for this trip to happen is that they will be waiting by the phone just in case we need them to fax something else at the last minute when we are trying to board.  We also will have travel medical insurance for each person.

Ok - folks what have I not thought of?

Attached is a form a customer service rep on the phone sent me. It was explained to me that you want there to be specific info about the ship and date of sailing as well as permission to make medical decisions. We've used it twice. Once they examined it and another time they never even asked for it. If you are uncomfortable with attachments I've cut and pasted it below as well.

Affidavit - Authorization for Minor to Travel

We, (First, Middle, Last Name) ________________________________ and

__________________________________ hereby accept the conditions for my minor child

(First, Middle, Last Name) _______________________________ to travel out of the United

States from (date) _____________ to (date) ____________ traveling to the country of

_____________________ , on the cruise ship _______________________, under the custody

of (First, Middle, Last Name) ______________________________________ who will be

responsible for my child during the trip. Furthermore, should my child require routine or

emergency medical treatment during the trip, I specifically authorize the above named person to

make all necessary parental decisions concerning any and all medical treatment that my child

may require.

Signed: _____________________________________ Phone ___________________________

Signed: _____________________________________ Phone ___________________________

County of: _____________________________ State of: _______________________________

on this _________________ day of _____________, year ___________.

Print names of above signatories: ___________________________________________ and

appeared before me and, having duly sworn by me, stated that the contents of the foregoing application are true and complete, and signed the application in my presence.

Notary Public Signature ______________________________

NOTARY SEAL My commission expires: ______________

Notarized Letter For Minors.docx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You can also make/take a copy of the notarized letter to speed up the check in process as they will (at least they did when our daughter took a friend) ask to make make a copy for Royal to keep. Not a biggie but will save some time. 

We've used a similar form several times when travelling with our grandsons. We always make copies in case they ask for them. We also have copies of their birth certificates along with their passports just in case.

To Whom It May Concern:

I, ______________, Father, do hereby give permission for ____________ and ______________, to take my son, _____________, whose date of birth is ____________, on a cruise aboard Royal Caribbean International’s ____________. The cruise departs Port Canaveral Florida on _____ and returns to Port Canaveral on _______________.

The cruise is scheduled to visit, _____________, _____________, _____________; and ___________________, but I understand and agree that the cruise line may make changes to the itinerary as needed.

I further give permission for ______________ to sign any waivers that may be needed for my son, ________________ to utilize any shipboard or shore activities and for them to authorize any medical treatment that my son, ________________ may require while in their care.

_________________________                                  ________________
___________________, Father                                              Date

STATE OF FLORIDA

ORANGE COUNTY

Sworn to and subscribed before me this _____ day of _____, 2012, by

Who is Personally Known ______ OR Produced Identification _______

Type of Identification Produced__________________________________________ _____

Signature of Notary Public

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ash2bear said:

Just did this in June.  We used a letter similar to what's been posted.  No one asked to see it... 😏

When traveling with our granddaughters we have been asked for the letter three times.  Once by Royal....once by Disney.....and once by Customs.

I would never travel without one...

Yep....I did this when we took my son's friend with us....notarized letter, like above, with itinerary, ship, dates, ports of call, sign waiver permission and to seek medical care...and signed by parents (I only had the mother sign).  I also had a copy of the child's insurance card.  The child was a minor, so had license and birth certificate for him.  Never asked for anything upon check-in (I checked us in online).  Even though we didn't need anything, you never know who will ask for something like that at ports of call/ customs, or even at check-in, depending on who you get!  Enjoy ur cruise!!

Perhaps a copy of the insurance card/coverage for the child travelling ?
Yes, this. If medical attention is sought on shore somewhere, it may be quite useful. The amount of coverage provided outside the US varies. Ours actually provides in-network coverage at many locations outside the US. Having that information available may save the hassle of paying out of pocket and seeking reimbursement later.

Medical care sought onboard is strictly out of pocket.

HTH

Whenever we travel with my oldest daughter (30 years old), she always seems to take another child family member (belonging to her fiance) with us. A lot of times they are booked in my room, so I have the letter. We've always just had a letter from the parents saying they allow their child to come on the cruise and give all responsibility to us. It's always been a simple letter (not like the above posted) and has worked. Maybe we have just been lucky with the simple letter. But we do always have them notarized. The cruise line will make a copy and that's pretty much it.

Have a wonderful cruise.

@TexasPirate

Not about official papers or what RC requires, but...………..

You may want to have a deep conversation with both your child and the friend about your expectations.  You may also want to draw up and have them sign a contract.  (some have been posted here on CC in the past.  I don't know if that is searchable, particularly since the latest board format "update.")

(have you worked out with the friend's parents any details about the onboard account?)

Last summer I took my son and his girlfriend on a cruise.  Had a notarized letter from her mother, but nobody asked to see it at check-in or at customs/immigration upon our return. 

The only time it was needed was when my son was taking his GF ashore in San Juan.  I was staying on board, and Security didn't want to let my son take the underage GF off the ship. 

I had made sure my son's AND my name were both on the authorization form, and while Security gave him a bit of a hard time because I wasn't with them, they did ultimately let him take her off the ship, because he was 18yo and named on the notarized form as having authorization to travel with the GF.  

I'm going on another cruise this winter with just the GF (son is in the Army now), and I'll do the same thing with a notarized letter from her mother.  

I was honestly surprised that nobody raised an eye at check-in, with the names being different, but we all had passports and she didn't look like she was being kidnapped against her will, so I guess it didn't trip anyone's triggers for a red flag. I handed over our SetSail and passports, they took our pictures, and that was that.  

20 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

@TexasPirate

Not about official papers or what RC requires, but...………..

You may want to have a deep conversation with both your child and the friend about your expectations.  You may also want to draw up and have them sign a contract.  (some have been posted here on CC in the past.  I don't know if that is searchable, particularly since the latest board format "update.")

(have you worked out with the friend's parents any details about the onboard account?)

We are confident that the girls will be fine on the cruise and we have had very detailed conversations about expectations. Mainly discussing the dos and don'ts on a cruise.   But we will revisit all this prior to the cruise.  We booked the cruise in June of 2018 after 3 months of conversations with her parents.  I am paying for internet, refreshment package, excursions, hotels before/after,  extra meals, and any other transport costs. They are paying for her airfare, cruise/tips,  and medical/evacuation insurance.  I have also asked them to provide her with some port money... I guesstimated $50 per port and maybe a little extra for anything she might want from the shops on board.  Anything she purchases on board will come out of her spending cash (even though I know it will first go to the on board account.) 

I think we have covered all the bases but if you see any gaps I am very open to hearing them.

Thank You

Alan

• Like 1