Platinum Plus dinner with Officers

debnjoe1438

I have done it once. We got an invitation in our room, and had to confirm whether we wanted to attend.

From what I gather, it doesn't usually work that way (we have now done about 5 cruises since they introduced Platinum Plus, and not received anything any other time). I believe that usually you have to approach the cruise next staff to request it.

I thought it was OK. We were sitting with someone from guest services and it worked quite well for us as he usually works on the POA, which we were going on the following year, so he gave us some tips, and he was a nice guy. Having said that, we have never been bothered enough to go and ask to do it again.

It was in the MDR.

12 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I have done it once. We got an invitation in our room, and had to confirm whether we wanted to attend.

From what I gather, it doesn't usually work that way (we have now done about 5 cruises since they introduced Platinum Plus, and not received anything any other time). I believe that usually you have to approach the cruise next staff to request it.

I thought it was OK. We were sitting with someone from guest services and it worked quite well for us as he usually works on the POA, which we were going on the following year, so he gave us some tips, and he was a nice guy. Having said that, we have never been bothered enough to go and ask to do it again.

It was in the MDR.

Thank you, appreciate the information.

Yes--you need to inquire about it with the Cruise Next staff. They put you on a list and then you get invite in your cabin.  I had to decline as I had dinner reservations for the night and time .  

PS--you also have to see them if you are interested in the Behind the Scenes tour .  

• Like 1

In a pervious thread BirdTravels commented that the dinner with officer was with a Photo Shop manager.

Don't expect the Captain of the ship or perhaps any of his uniform subordinates.

I would guess any manager from any venue department is qualified as an officer.

And yes it is scheduled thru the Next Cruise folks - if interested contact them upon boarding

and definitely take advantage of the BST Back Scenes Tour booked with the same people.

Hi debnjoe1438 my cruise neighbors NCL SUN Alaska Sept 2017

Edited by don't-use-real-name

18 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

In a pervious thread BirdTravels commented that the dinner with officer was with a Photo Shop manager.

Don't expect the Captain of the ship or perhaps any of his uniform subordinates.

And yes it is scheduled thru the Next Cruise folks - if interested contact them upon boarding

and definitely take advantage of the BST Back Scenes Tour booked with the same people.

I was lucky first time I did it. It was on the Sun leaving from San Francisco going to Alaska and at our table we did have the captain.

1 hour ago, debnjoe1438 said:

HI all, anyone here Platinum Plus and taken advantage of the "Dinner with Officers" reward? How was it and who do you contact to set this up? Is the dinner in the MDR or elsewhere? Thanks

Yes, it's usually a gas.  Sometimes you get a high ranker and sometimes you get the gift shop assistant manager.  You contact the cruise next office the first day of the cruise to sign up.  It is usually in the 'formal' MDR, but not always.

We’ve done this twice.  Sign up with Cruise Next desk on the first or second day.  Our dinners on the Sun and the Jewel were in the MDR with the Chief Accountant and Payroll Officer.  Actually more interesting than we expected.  

Edited by herdingdogmom

1 hour ago, don't-use-real-name said:

48 minutes ago, swmichigan cruiser said:

I was lucky first time I did it. It was on the Sun leaving from San Francisco going to Alaska and at our table we did have the captain.

We have had 'Dinner with the Officers' a few times.

The ship's physician, the Chief Engineer (a woman), a nurse.

On a Star Transatlantic we received a written invitation to dinner which was then cancelled with a phone call.

A couple days later we were re-invited to dinner in Le Bistro, and were seated between the Captain and the Hotel Director.

What a wonderful experience, and top-level wine (selected by the Hotel Director), flowed throughout the extended dinner.

gary

• Like 1

5 hours ago, debnjoe1438 said:

HI all, anyone here Platinum Plus and taken advantage of the "Dinner with Officers" reward? How was it and who do you contact to set this up? Is the dinner in the MDR or elsewhere? Thanks

Our last dinner was on the Escape in April. You reserve at the CruiseNext desk on embarkation day (along with  your complimentary behind the scenes tour). The Hotel Director's administrative assistant will call your room and let you know when the dinner is. Then you have to scramble to rearrange your schedule for that night.

In April, we had 5 platinum plus guests dining with the Food and Beverage director. He was fun. But you could tell it was "other duties as assigned" and he promptly stood up and left when his time was up. 

We had a 6-top table in the Taste Main Dining Room. Name tags/assigned seating. Ordered off of the standard menu. They served complimentary wine. And took a a complimentary photo. 

It was kinda creepy. Every day, multiple times a day after the dinner, we would see the F&B Director around the ship and he would wave. There was a VIP beer and wine event in the District Brew House late in the cruise and the F&B Director hunted us down to present our photo. And even as we disembarked the ship and were walking through the baggage hall on our way to customs, there he was, waving again. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Haha 1

We have done quite a few "Dinner with an Officer" dinners.

Sometimes we have had 1 and sometimes 2 officers, you never know who you will get till you arrive.   They always say that they offer to do it but we have heard that some arm twisting goes on if there are lots of pax wanting to do it.  Some say they do it as often as possible as normally they get little contact with passengers.

Sometimes there are 3 or 4 groups on one night so you never know which MDR you will get.  Whichever you get the request is for the more "formal" attire!!

The meal is from the normal menu but the menu that evening may contain a "chef's special" requested by an officer.   The drink is complimentary, often a sparkling wine when you meet together and then wine at dinner.   If you have a preference don't be afraid to ask, we have asked for Moscato more than once and got it.   In Japan I had commented beforehand that Saki should be the wine.  I was offered it at the table and the others were asked if they would like it too.

We find that there is a mix of people just like you would get at a "shared" table so you ask and answer questions.   Most officers are pleased to talk about their jobs, especially the "behind the scene" ones.   We have never had an officer who pushed the "NCL line" but that is because just about every pax we have eaten with has not tried to "chew an anti NCL bone".

If you enjoy "sharing" then this is for you as there is an added bonus or two!!

1 hour ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

What do you actually talk about?

It would be nice to have an off the record talk about the industry, ships operations and topics like that but I fear it would be more the official corporate marketing handout. 

They don’t say anything negative about NCL but like to talk about their years of experience and favorite ports. 

11 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

HI, thanks for the response. Long time no see, I hope you guys are doing well. 

We have done 4 or 5 times and have enjoyed. Conversations with other experienced passengers always nice. Experience by officer varies. Some are very social, some not. Sign up day one with cruise next, then you are contacted by Guest Services a few days later. We were shocked and very disappointed on Escape a few weeks ago when dinner  was at 6:00, meeting at 5:45! Simply cannot eat that early. We checked with Cruise Next and were told this is a recent change across the fleet with no flexibility. Give us the 7:45 meet time and civil 8 pm dinner  back again! My guess...the Officers always just picked at their dinner. I always suspected they really ate on their own after our dinner. Moving earlier makes it easier for the, to fit in both.

We felt a little let down that it was not in the main dining room and you just ordered off the menu.  Our officers were a doctor and a housekeeping manager.  There were four passenger no-shows.  The conversation was interesting, though, and we were invited to tour the Haven by the housekeeping manager.  We declined.  

The 1st occasion the dinner was with the Staff Captain in Taste (I think...on the Star and it wasn't Versailles) with 6 other guests.  It was really interesting to hear about his love of the sea and his path to Staff Captain.  The other occasion was with a Assistant Hotel Director in the Haven Restaurant on the Breakaway (where we were lucky enough to be sailing) with just my cellmate and one other cruiser.  His story was also quite interesting but was about the hospitality industry.  Both were memorable occasions.

For the first PP dinner, I had signed up with the Cruise Next folks on the first day (along with booking the freebie tour)--I'm pretty much there right after the muster drill, the second dinner was arranged by our concierge in the Haven.   

I appreciate the perk.

MD

I always sign up for Dinner with the Officers right after muster at the Cruise Next desk. I have attended 4 or 5 dinners. Last cruise on the Pearl in April, it was cancelled because of shipwide norovirus. In January on the Gem, I originally had dinner set with two other solos at a specialty restaurant. They were kind enough to change dates so I could attend both. We had the Staff Captain and the Spa manager who is from the UK. Every time it was in the MDR with complimentary wine.