Which promotion do you find the best?

denmarks

I usually start with the Sip'n'Sail and then switch to the 3 for free when it comes out in the fall.  Only one time did I stick with the Sip'n'Sail.   The only thing about the Sip'n'Sail  is I tend to drink more on those promotions.   🤪🍾

• Like 1

what would be the "value" per day, per person on a typical 7 day cruise in a balcony during the 3 For Free promotion?

the "value" of a pp, pd during sip n sail is about $70 if you bought the package

We don't drink very much so the 3 for Free promo is our go to promo.  I book as soon as an itinerary opens so that I can get the cabin category we like.  I then check the Sip & Sail promo and way the cost ( our June 2020 Alaska cruise was only $178.00 total more for Sip and Sail so we took it).  We will wait and see what we can get with the 3 for Free promo in September and if the OBC, cost of stateroom and gratuities add up properly will probably switch to that along with a Feb 2021 b2b cruise we have booked on the Enchanted).

I like free gratuities when I can get them. But more than that, I like booking a last-minute bargain such as my Island Princess back-to-back cruises this summer, which I booked a little more than three weeks before I sailed. I paid a quarter of what next year's cruises during the same time period currently cost. No special--free drinks, free gratuities, etc.--will save me as much money. My total bar tab for the two weeks was around $50. I enjoyed the two bottles of wine I carried on the ship and most of the drinks in my minibar (and I traded the second minibar for a bottle of wine). 

6 hours ago, knutsonl said:

Paula did you switch to a different promo a couple of times after your initial booking.  That's what I would like to do  I wonder how often it's for new bookings only.

Yes, we've never had a problem changing to a different promo and keeping our existing cabin.  But of course there is always the chance that a specific promo may have different terms and conditions.  We have a cruise booked for January on the Regal and it appears to be selling quite briskly.  If you really want to book a specific cabin, and you can get a refundable deposit, I'd go for it.  

Booked two cabins on launch day, re-fared both in the May Sale (OBC and grats), re-fared DH and mine under Sip'n'Sail (with a coffee-soda plan for my mom in our room). Re-fared Sis&BIL under Landmark because the OBC was more than previous total of OBC+grats, by a little. 

I have a spread sheet/chart to figure the totals for each promotional, with totals for each cabin and both together. Don't expect 3-for-free to be better, as that was essentially what the May Sale was, but I will watch and see!

On 7/29/2019 at 12:25 PM, tert333 said:

I usually start with the Sip'n'Sail and then switch to the 3 for free when it comes out in the fall.  Only one time did I stick with the Sip'n'Sail.   The only thing about the Sip'n'Sail  is I tend to drink more on those promotions.   🤪🍾

lol,  your payin' for and not driving anywhere. 

I booked under Sip & Sail (earliest I could get my group of 12 organized and ready to book). Just looked at landmark, and it costs me $150 total less (for a minisuite with 3 people), with the same OBC, but no drinks package (7 night trip). We're keeping the drinks 🙂  I'll look again during 3 for free, but I doubt it will be better - Alaska doesn't tend to get cheaper unless you get a last minute deal.

• Like 1

I was really happy with free gratuities and 250 pp OBC with a balcony purchase. That $500 OBC will more than cover drinks (we are only a one beer or one glass of wine a day people) and laundry! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 10:19 AM, denmarks said:

Princess constantly has different promotions for the same cruise.

There is on board credit and cabin upgrades.

There are free gratuities.

There are free drink packages.

and who knows what else....

Which promotion do you consider the best considering the net price of the cruise?

I think you need 

On 7/29/2019 at 3:20 PM, robert ellis said:

free gratuities

I think you need to consider the type of trip you are taking.  DH and I are not big drinkers, so Sip and Sail does not interest us, but if we were and there were lots of sea days, I think this would be a good deal.  3 for Free is also good, but do make comparison of cost without the promo.  Keep checking prices.  We are considering a Landmark Sale with great OBC.  It is a port intensive trip in a place we have never visited, so with military and shareholder credits, we will have lots to spend on excursions. 

On 7/29/2019 at 9:34 AM, akeasley said:

Kids sail for free!

Kids free sail would be my promo of choice> 😉

We usually opt for sip and sail. 3 for free doesn’t really work for us as my balcony of choice is actually one of the lower priced balcony categories, so I would prefer to remain there, rather than be upgraded to a higher category in an albeit to me, less desirable location.

I actually find that I drink less on a S+S cruise, than if I had bought the PBP. To me there is less need to drink my money’s worth if it was part of the cruise fare vs. paying for it outside of the cruise fare. Only once have I had to pay more for a cruise ($100 on a 15 HI circle) vs. what I had already booked the cruise for.

Actually I will take lower price over a promotion any day.  Recently refared a booking. Had to give up $125pp OBC and $248pp worth of gratuities to get a $750pp reduction in price.  That was after a $400 reduction from my original booking where I held onto the perks.  I always do the math and see what works out to the best deal.

I feel that free grats and OBC have the most value toward offsetting the total cost of a cruise.

For example, on a 29 day cruise we have booked, we have free grats (worth $400+ per person) plus $500 of OBC apiece.

On another one that is booked, a 16 day, we each have $600 in OBC.

Additionally, my cruise buddy and I each have 100 shares of CCL, and take turns using the OBC benefit.

And we book using FCCs so we pick up some more there.

Fortunately, I also get $75 of Loyalty OBC every cruise, until I reach the next level when it will go to $100 per cruise.

Neither of us drink much alcohol, so the drink package would be a waste for us.

Edited by flamomo