any experience with old coffee card lately?

compozer

Hi

Just came back from the Grand (Alaska) and they were honouring them. I had an unused one and still have three left, but they will now be invalid. Only one crew member questioned it with a supervisor, but the rest knew what it was. I think they run out soon though.

12 minutes ago, travlngar said:

How do you think the staff will react to a "Ace of Latte" unused card? I sent one off along with some leftover New Grounds cards to be used by a family on an Alaskan cruise before they expire?

It should be OK. A coffee card is a coffee card.

Just wondering...why did you still have such an old card? 🥴

10 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Just wondering...why did you still have such an old card? 🥴

I had many of those acquired cards from the old 2 for 1 coupons booklets and then mini bar trade ins. About the same time I found I had so many of those Princess came out with the "New Grounds" cards and eventually all the (new ground) rules associated with them such as the voyage # and eventually the expiration dates on the back of some of the cards dated 2018. So I concentrated on using those up. I should have at least had a few punches done on that card but I am hoping the folks I mailed that card to (free) will be able to get a barista who recognizes it or can take it to PSD and have them validate it as being a genuine Princess Coffee Card. I know that when I was trying to use up the old Ace of Latte cards with punches some of the waiters/waitresses had never seen them so I usually just waited in line because the baristas usually had someone who recognized the card.

The question will be more fun after 8/31/19.  The new policy is very clear, but more discussed on CC then in other places.  Will be curious how it will actually be handled after August for those that haven’t cruised in awhile and who don’t follow CC.  It will be tough for Baristas when confronted with this situation.

You know how Princess rules and policies are followed by different ships and different crews....

I’m sure we will hear about it here first!

Safe Journeys, Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, pjrockman said:

The question will be more fun after 8/31/19.  The new policy is very clear, but more discussed on CC then in other places.  Will be curious how it will actually be handled after August for those that haven’t cruised in awhile and who don’t follow CC.  It will be tough for Baristas when confronted with this situation.

You know how Princess rules and policies are followed by different ships and different crews....

Safe Journeys, Paul

I'd love to hear some of the conversations that will occur after Aug 31. :classic_laugh:

I have a couple of partially used coffee cards to give away that I didn't finish up on my Island Princess cruises earlier this summer. At the time, I was hoping to talk DH into going back to Alaska with me in August after he finishes his current work contract. We're going to England in September instead.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I'd love to hear some of the conversations that will occur after Aug 31. :classic_laugh:

I don't drink coffee but have a partial card that someone gave me. Maybe will try it the first week of September when on the CB just to see . Because I am that guy 😎

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

I don't drink coffee but have a partial card that someone gave me. Maybe will try it the first week of September when on the CB just to see . Because I am that guy 😎

I'd do the same. After all Princess is the one that stole your money & there no harm in trying to see if you can get something back. The worst that can do is say no or maybe give you some brewed coffee in exchange.

I had many, many unused cards.  I've been giving them away all year on every cruise we've been on.  No one has had any problems with them.  I have one card that has punches that I keep to use on embarkation day because I always trade our mini  bar for cards and it's usually day two before the new coffee card is on your cabin card.  No problem at all.  It will be interesting to see what they do 9/1.   Will be on the Coral 8/28-9/4 so I guess I'll find out.    🙂

Edited by RRFan

On 7/31/2019 at 1:41 PM, pjrockman said:

Safe Journeys, Paul

Not tough at all. After 8/31/19 it is not valid anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used my really old cards on the Royal a couple weeks ago.  And I as we sat in the disembarkation lounge, I was chatting with the Captain's Circle hostess who was drinking a specialty coffee.  I donated my old relic cards to her and she was appreciative.

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Not tough at all. After 8/31/19 it is not valid anymore. 

Yup, simple as the dress code...elite tendering tickets...specialty dinner for suites only on the first day...reserving theater seats...vacant ‘held’ deck chairs after 30 minutes...bathing suits in public areas other than pool decks...who is included in the picture package...kids in adult only areas... Folks please feel free to add all of the simple policies and rules that are dependent on who is doing the enforcing.  Never asked what should happen, only said it will be interesting to hear what happens.

Safe Journeys, Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, pjrockman said:

Yup, simple as the dress code...elite tendering tickets...specialty dinner for suites only on the first day...reserving theater seats...vacant ‘held’ deck chairs after 30 minutes...bathing suits in public areas other than pool decks...who is included in the picture package...kids in adult only areas... Folks please feel free to add all of the simple policies and rules that are dependent on who is doing the enforcing.  Never asked what should happen, only said it will be interesting to hear what happens.

Safe Journeys, Paul

Focus 

1 hour ago, CruiseVA said:

Just got off the Caribbean Princess, no questions asked when using the card. In fact, I became known as "Chris with the card", lol.

IMG_20190809_080028.jpg

On our June cruise, they still had a punch at the bar.  At the end I had one left - like the picture above shows, and I gave it to someone on disembark morning who was staying on the cruise.

The fact that they are still honoring these "with no questions asked" is rather unremarkable since we are still 22 days away from 8/31/19.  But what I am curious to know is whether they will interpret their rule to be a "hard and fast" 8/31 cutoff, or whether they will apply it to cruises that commence after 8/31.  By way of example, there are a number of cruises scheduled to set sail on 8/31.  And there there a number that depart earlier in that week that continue on into September.  Are they going to punch the card on 8/31 but not 9/1 right in the middle of the cruise?  The literal wording of their policy would seem to suggest as much:

• Coffee cards are valid until the expiration date printed on the card. If NO expiration date is printed on the card it is valid until August 31, 2019.

If they really do that, can you imagine the line at the IC on 8/31 as people with unused punches start to order "rounds for the house" getting coffees for everyone on the ship until the punches run out?  It will be like "Oprah".  "You get a latte. And you get a latte.  And you get a latte..."

• Haha 2

Just sold my last 3 in one lot on Ebay for $4.99 inc shipping. One unused and the others with some punches left.

We don't cruise again until 13th September so they would have been useless.

Good while it lasted.