Before walking out of the house list: Air Conditioner Temp?

SempreMare

For the OP's original question, we set our thermostats on hold for 80 degrees (summer) while we are away for an extended time.  They are Wi-Fi enabled and we will ease them down cooler as we make our way home.  As others have said, it is less efficient to turn them down too abruptly and the savings we might have gained will be lost.

We turn off the water to the whole house (no irrigation system).  We used to turn off toilets, washer, sinks, etc., but that was a real pain.  Plus, I guess a water line could still leak on the other side of the cutoff causing some inside damage, so turning it off at the source works for us.  Since we do this and have a gas water heater, we turn the flame on it down to vacation mode.  We also turn off the automatic ice maker in the freezer.

I also do the quarter on the dish of ice thing in the freezers.  A real low tech kind of safety check, but works like a charm.  A great way to tell if the power has been off for an extended period (unless I happened to have popsicles in there!)

I had not thought about ensuring the water traps had water in them.  We use most water "sources" frequently but not everything, like the spare bathroom's tub/shower.  We haven't been on a really long trip yet, but even 2-3 weeks could make a difference (especially in a tub that hadn't been used for a few months beforehand).  Thanks so much for this tip!

We turn off the water, turn down the water heater and ice maker, flush the toilet tanks.

Kind neighbour checks the house every few days.  No pets, no plants.  In the winter we turn the heat down to 58/60.  Don’t need to have the AC on if we travel in the summer.

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

furnace at 65- 67F in winter months

When we're at home, we turn the heat down to 60 at night and up to 65 in the AM 🙂

Some years ago we were out of the country and some friends came to stay in our house for a few days.  They walked in to discover that the connection from the water to the washing machine had failed.  It blew a hole in the wall four feet away and was in the process of flooding.  They turned it off and took care of things.  The plumber said had they arrived two days later the house would have been totaled.  As it was we 'only' had to have the flooring on the main level replaced.

We learned our lesson about water when an upstairs toilet pipe sprung a leak while we were gone for a long weekend over Labor Day a couple of decades ago. We always turn off the water now if we'll be gone overnight. In the summer, we keep the AC at 78 normally. I'll bump it up to 82 if we're gone for a week or more. In the winter we keep the heat at 68 normally. I'll bump it down to 62 if we'll be gone for a couple of weeks. We keep the heat set on 55 in the winter at our beach cottage. We also turn off the water there at the street and will use RV antifreeze in the pipes.

12 hours ago, HamOp said:

Will a Nest thermostat work without Internet?
Yes, the Nest can be installed and work without Internet. It misses out on remote control, and other integrations, but it will still work as an algorithmically learningthermostat.

So, yes it will still work, but you will not be able to change the settings via the cell phone app if the internet is down at your house.

@HamOp, you need to re-read what I wrote, then re-read on what you quoted in blue.

I said: 

" I made this change this only after doing a TON of review reading and talking with my geek friends to convince myself that it would

1) still work during an internet outage   

2) act like a normal thermostat all the time (walk up and turn the dial)"

You quoted: 

Yes, the Nest can be installed and work without Internet.

What you quoted verifies what I said, what my geek friends told me

and my first-hand experience during a 6 hour internet outage in June: 

- The Nest thermostat DOES still work like a thermostat during an internet outage.   It DOES act like a normal thermostat all the time (walk up and turn the dial).

Ex: 

During a 6 hour internet outage in June, I could just walk up to the thermostat, turn the dial, and set the temperature like my trusty 20 year old thermostat.  

Of course, during an internet outage, I can't say into the air "hey google make it cooler downstairs" like I normally could.   I would not expect to be able to do that.  I realize voice recognition needs the cloud. 

13 hours ago, Av8rix said:

So did I learn from his experience? Nooooo!  Two years later I was on a cruise (HAL 🙂) and a pipe under my water heater failed.  Fortunately, neighbors saw water so quickly that they were able to call city utilities and have water turned off before much damage done.  Yes, I have learned since then. 

@Av8rix I'm so sorry that happened to you!   So lucky you have observant neighbors! 

BTW, my plumber told me, "When you return, turn the valve back on slooooowly."  

(When I'm outside at the new water shut-off valve using that device .)  

Small turn.

OneOneThousandOne, OneOneThousandTwo,OneOneThousandThree

Small turn.

OneOneThousandOne, OneOneThousandTwo, OneOneThousandThree

Trying to remember his explanation for why... Something about not wanting to put the full pressure of incoming water on the pipes system all at once.

I turn the valve on and off with a tool like this:  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bully-Tools-48-in-Water-Key-with-Steel-T-Style-Handle-and-Steel-3-8-in-Key-Opening-99207/205348130

so that I can keep a distance from any critters nearby.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SempreMare said:

@HamOp, you need to re-read what I wrote, then re-read on what you quoted in blue.

I said: 

" I made this change this only after doing a TON of review reading and talking with my geek friends to convince myself that it would

1) still work during an internet outage   

2) act like a normal thermostat all the time (walk up and turn the dial)"

You quoted: 

Yes, the Nest can be installed and work without Internet.

What you quoted verifies what I said, what my geek friends told me

and my first-hand experience during a 6 hour internet outage in June: 

- The Nest thermostat DOES still work like a thermostat during an internet outage.   It DOES act like a normal thermostat all the time (walk up and turn the dial).

Ex: 

During a 6 hour internet outage in June, I could just walk up to the thermostat, turn the dial, and set the temperature like my trusty 20 year old thermostat.  

Of course, during an internet outage, I can't say into the air "hey google make it cooler downstairs" like I normally could.   I would not expect to be able to do that.  I realize voice recognition needs the cloud. 

What concerned me was that you, in your first post, spoke of being able to adjust the Nest thermostat when you got off the plane to cool your house before you got home.  That would not be possible if the internet at home was down.  

Thermostat to 80 when leaving during AC season.  50 for winter heating.

I also set my water heater to 60 when leaving for a reasonable period.  I have a newer one that makes this very simple.

I don't shut off my water, as I need water pressure during the winter to ensure the hot water heating system is OK.

15 hours ago, SempreMare said:

@Av8rix I'm so sorry that happened to you!   So lucky you have observant neighbors! 

Small turn.

Small turn.

Trying to remember his explanation for why... Something about not wanting to put the full pressure of incoming water on the pipes system all at once.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bully-Tools-48-in-Water-Key-with-Steel-T-Style-Handle-and-Steel-3-8-in-Key-Opening-99207/205348130

You don't need to turn it on THAT slowly.

Just don't quickly open it.  If you have a ball valve, like the OP installed, just move the handle slowly.  5 - 10 second to fully open is fine.

• Like 1

I'm kind of surprised how cool many people leave the thermostat when away, but I live where there are hot dry summer days. In this semi-arid climate, it is rare to have hot nights. The temperature outside can get up to over 100 degrees F, but much of the summer we don't use the air conditioning at all. In the evening or early morning, we open the windows and put on the whole house fan to draw the cool air into the house. The house is well insulated and we have a lot of shade trees so it rarely gets above 80 inside - with the low humidity, we find that temperature comfortable. 

Rarely, we get a few days where it doesn't cool down at night so we turn on the air conditioner for that. Or when we have our kids and grandkids visiting for a few days - with more people in the house and more going in and out (maybe leaving the slider not well closed) the house heats up more and we need the air conditioning to maintain a good temperature. It's fine when it's just the two of us.

We are more likely to travel in the winter, but if we were going away for a long trip in the summer, we would probably leave it off. 

We haven't turned the water off, but we usually have someone coming by every few days to check on the house.

On 8/4/2019 at 8:02 PM, SempreMare said:

Small turn.

Small turn.

Based on the tool you linked, it sounds like you are turning off the valve at the street (where a water meter would be).  Either way, purpose of what your plumber advised is to avoid water hammer damaging plumbing components.  

23 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

I'm kind of surprised how cool many people leave the thermostat when away, but I live where there are hot dry summer days. In this semi-arid climate, it is rare to have hot nights. The temperature outside can get up to over 100 degrees F, but much of the summer we don't use the air conditioning at all. In the evening or early morning, we open the windows and put on the whole house fan to draw the cool air into the house. The house is well insulated and we have a lot of shade trees so it rarely gets above 80 inside - with the low humidity, we find that temperature comfortable. 

Rarely, we get a few days where it doesn't cool down at night so we turn on the air conditioner for that. Or when we have our kids and grandkids visiting for a few days - with more people in the house and more going in and out (maybe leaving the slider not well closed) the house heats up more and we need the air conditioning to maintain a good temperature. It's fine when it's just the two of us.

We are more likely to travel in the winter, but if we were going away for a long trip in the summer, we would probably leave it off. 

We haven't turned the water off, but we usually have someone coming by every few days to check on the house.

Aw, summers in Sacto -- but at least it is a dry heat.  😀😀😀

On 8/4/2019 at 10:56 AM, catl331 said:

After 39 years in FL we've become acclimated to heat, so we keep our a/c at 79 all summer when home, and 85 when away. It only takes a couple of hours to get the house back down to normal after we get home.

We do the same. Including shutting the hot water tank off. The hot water dispenser at the sink, shut off the water to the house. Setting timers for lights and an electronic barking German Shepard dog that senses anyone approaching the front door.