Spacious AquaTheater Suite 1 BR --OR-- AquaTheater Suite w/Large Balcony - 2 BR

I am considering a sailing at the end of October 2020 aboard the Harmony of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. This would be for our family of 4, two adults and two children ages 13 and 12, and would be our first time aboard an Oasis-class ship. I am looking at Royal Suite Class categories, and am particularly attracted to the AquaTheater suites at the aft of the ship. My preferred choices are between a Spacious AquaTheater Suite 1 Bedroom (Sky Class)  or an AquaTheater Suite with Large Balcony 2 Bedroom (Star Class). I have a few questions. First, what types of things does a Royal Genie do, and should I assume this service, along with the complimentary gratuities and specialty dining, worth the additional approximately $700/person? I purposely left out the complimentary beverage packages because we don't drink alcohol at all and very limited soft drinks. Secondly, if we opt for the less expensive Sky Class suite, which deck is preferable for viewing the AquaTheater performances out of decks 11, 12, and 14? The higher class suite would be on deck 9; is this an okay location?

I am leaning toward the Star Class 2 bedroom for the sake of our children but would love to put money towards other things if the additional perks described above aren't impactful enough for us. 

YES! For 700PP it is absolutely worth it. 

You can easily make up that difference in specialty dining alone. You can get Starbucks delivered. The seats your genie will reserve for you are top notch. 

The gratuities for your cabin steward and dining room staff are included. 

For 700pp it is a no brainer for me.

Your Genie will move mountains to ensure you have an amazing trip.

If you are thinking about it then while cost is always important, the fact that you have not dismissed it out of hand indicates it is a question of value vs. cost. Star Class is a lot of fun and with four people, unlimited (almost) everything will eat up some of that difference. Will you have to pay $700pp*4 or just for the first 2 in the cabin plus less per for the other two? We were charged regular price for the first two and then about 20% each of the first two people for the remaining three. Genies make it effortless and if you can think of it they will try to do it. We have only sailed in Star on floor 17 on Oasis class so this will be our first experience in a 2BR Aqua Suite, but with 5 of us it was the only option I wanted to pay for. I may shoot an UP Bid for the RLS, but the minimum is $5,200 and all I get different is more room and on floor 17 so I will probably pass, but even if I take a shot it may be claimed. I would do it, but then again I will not have to pay your bill 🙂 If you have any questions I will do my best to help. Best of luck, have a wonderful time. 

Deck 9 is great for viewing shows in the Aqua Theatre. It's not too high from the stage/pool.  Three times we have had the boardwalk balcony room right before the Aqua Theatre suite.  I would imagine the view from the Deck 9 AT suite would be even better!

8 hours ago, Sorcerer Tim said:

If you are thinking about it then while cost is always important, the fact that you have not dismissed it out of hand indicates it is a question of value vs. cost. Star Class is a lot of fun and with four people, unlimited (almost) everything will eat up some of that difference. Will you have to pay $700pp*4 or just for the first 2 in the cabin plus less per for the other two? We were charged regular price for the first two and then about 20% each of the first two people for the remaining three. Genies make it effortless and if you can think of it they will try to do it. We have only sailed in Star on floor 17 on Oasis class so this will be our first experience in a 2BR Aqua Suite, but with 5 of us it was the only option I wanted to pay for. I may shoot an UP Bid for the RLS, but the minimum is $5,200 and all I get different is more room and on floor 17 so I will probably pass, but even if I take a shot it may be claimed. I would do it, but then again I will not have to pay your bill 🙂 If you have any questions I will do my best to help. Best of luck, have a wonderful time. 

Hi there Sorcerer Tim. Glad you are still enjoying your star class suites.  Hope to cruise with you and your wife again.  Sticking to the big ships with royal suite class or have you gone and sailed on the smaller non royal suite ships?

11 hours ago, ValleyCruiser said:

I am considering a sailing at the end of October 2020 aboard the Harmony of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. This would be for our family of 4, two adults and two children ages 13 and 12, and would be our first time aboard an Oasis-class ship. I am looking at Royal Suite Class categories, and am particularly attracted to the AquaTheater suites at the aft of the ship. My preferred choices are between a Spacious AquaTheater Suite 1 Bedroom (Sky Class)  or an AquaTheater Suite with Large Balcony 2 Bedroom (Star Class). I have a few questions. First, what types of things does a Royal Genie do, and should I assume this service, along with the complimentary gratuities and specialty dining, worth the additional approximately $700/person? I purposely left out the complimentary beverage packages because we don't drink alcohol at all and very limited soft drinks. Secondly, if we opt for the less expensive Sky Class suite, which deck is preferable for viewing the AquaTheater performances out of decks 11, 12, and 14? The higher class suite would be on deck 9; is this an okay location?

I am leaning toward the Star Class 2 bedroom for the sake of our children but would love to put money towards other things if the additional perks described above aren't impactful enough for us. 

I can't really say it is worth the extra $700 per person, especially since you do not drink alcohol, BUT, the experience was worth it to me. You get the best seats in the theater, no worrying about making arrangements for specialty dining as soon as you get on board; single day pass for thermal suite access for the adults; all the water and juices you can drink; meals, snacks brought to your room either because you wanted it or your genie just decided to do it because they knew you were hanging out in the room; treats for the kids; priority access to flow rider, zip line, rock climbing wall; non-alcoholic drinks; priority embarkation and debarkation, just to name a few. My family and I sailed sky class before, but once we sailed star class it's made it difficult to go back to sky. 

Deck 9 would be a great location. We were on deck 8 in 8330 and it was perfect for viewing the aqua show. On the first night of the cruise our genie sent up tapas from Vintages so we could sit on the balcony, have snacks and watch the aqua show below. I say try it at least once. I think you will love it!

Go with the 2 bedroom. The extra bedroom and bathroom are worth it while the extra perks, including the Genie, are amazing. I don't drink alcohol but I was able to try a lot of different fun drinks that were virgin. I never would have tried them if I has to pay for them separately.

Edited by ownedbypets

Having done a ATS 2BR..go for it, especially for the kids.  They will be much more comfortable in their own bedroom instead of in the living room on the couch. 

You won't have to worry about planning or scheduling anything; the Genie will take care of it for you.  You can dine in your room with food from the specialty restaurants delivered to you.  

I think the price different is just at the point where it makes sense to take the leap for the experience.

Another vote for the 2BR. We have been on Oasis and Allure on deck 8 and 9. If 8 is available I would get that one. The dining room table is in an alcove of sorts and on 9 it is more in the middle of the room, though pushed to the side. Balcony space is worth the price of admission!

16 hours ago, Sorcerer Tim said:

If you are thinking about it then while cost is always important, the fact that you have not dismissed it out of hand indicates it is a question of value vs. cost. Star Class is a lot of fun and with four people, unlimited (almost) everything will eat up some of that difference. Will you have to pay $700pp*4 or just for the first 2 in the cabin plus less per for the other two?

It's approximately $2,800 more for the ATS 2BR than the other one. You are correct, for me it is a matter of value vs. cost and that was my primary reason for asking the question.

16 hours ago, Sorcerer Tim said:

If you have any questions I will do my best to help. Best of luck, have a wonderful time. 

Thanks! I appreciate it!

14 hours ago, Wildcatfish said:

Deck 9 is great for viewing shows in the Aqua Theatre. It's not too high from the stage/pool.  Three times we have had the boardwalk balcony room right before the Aqua Theatre suite.  I would imagine the view from the Deck 9 AT suite would be even better!

Thanks! This was exactly the kind of information for which I was looking.

4 hours ago, goncruzn said:

Deck 9 would be a great location. We were on deck 8 in 8330 and it was perfect for viewing the aqua show. On the first night of the cruise our genie sent up tapas from Vintages so we could sit on the balcony, have snacks and watch the aqua show below.

Sounds exactly like the experience we'd enjoy! Thanks for responding!

9 minutes ago, kellyco said:

Another vote for the 2BR. We have been on Oasis and Allure on deck 8 and 9. If 8 is available I would get that one. The dining room table is in an alcove of sorts and on 9 it is more in the middle of the room, though pushed to the side. Balcony space is worth the price of admission!

Deck 8 isn't available, but it sounds like Deck 9 will work fine for us. Thanks for your input!

Thanks, everyone, for your wonderful responses! So it seems pretty one-sided to me, and it sounds like the Royal Genie is pretty much a butler, personal concierge, and god-like all-access authority rolled into one person! Star Class seems like it would let us eat and drink whatever we choose when, where, and how we wish, customize our shipboard activities to our personal schedules while still being able to relax and enjoy, basically nearly all-inclusive.

We have cruised in suites aboard NCL, which come with butler and concierge service, but the Royal Genie experience appears to be far superior to that! That sounds great to me, but does raise another question. Has anyone found their Genie to be too intrusive? We're pretty private but it sounds like the Genie will need to be around a lot and lead us all over the ship.

9 minutes ago, ValleyCruiser said:

We're pretty private but it sounds like the Genie will need to be around a lot and lead us all over the ship.

Just tell them you don't want to see them - I assume they'll oblige just like any other request.

Star Class beats Haven for sure.  I don't think you will find the Genie too intrusive.  Just remember the Genie's tip is not included.  People will tell you to tip what you think the Genie's service is worth.  I think the ranges I've seen are from a couple hundred... to up some insane amount.

5 hours ago, ownedbypets said:

I don't drink alcohol but I was able to try a lot of different fun drinks that were virgin. I never would have tried them if I has to pay for them separately.

I appreciate your response! My DW will probably be doing the same thing if we go this route.

5 minutes ago, Glide_Path said:

Star Class beats Haven for sure.  I don't think you will find the Genie too intrusive.  Just remember the Genie's tip is not included.  People will tell you to tip what you think the Genie's service is worth.  I think the ranges I've seen are from a couple hundred... to up some insane amount.

Thanks for giving us insight regarding this from someone who has experienced both. I also appreciate the reminder to include the gratuity; I agree, it's quite personal. I appreciate good service and will always make someone's best efforts well worth it.

7 minutes ago, later said:

Don’t forget the tip for your genie which is not small.  $400 to $700 total for 4 passengers is on the low end.

Are these guidlines published someplace?

• Thanks 1

Star Class for sure.  The genie is worth it and then some and the extra money is less than you would spend on any extras.  We are finding this out for our Liberty cruise.  By the time I add a non alcholic drink package, dining, and the mystery dinner I could have booked a Star Class suite.  We were in an A1 on the 8th deck and you will love the view of the aqua theater.  I know you will enjoy your Star Class adventure.  And yes, the genie can do whatever you ask.

8 hours ago, ValleyCruiser said:

Has anyone found their Genie to be too intrusive? We're pretty private but it sounds like the Genie will need to be around a lot and lead us all over the ship.

Our genie was not intrusive at all. She would check in with us in the morning, not too early based on our preferences, and see if there was anything we wanted or needed that day that she could take care of for us. If we had a lunch and/or dinner reservation she would stop by the restaurant to say hello and make sure we were fine. You can choose to see them as much or as little as you like. It's all based on your preferences. They do go in their "bottle" after a certain time at night to "recharge"! You will enjoy having one!

15 hours ago, goncruzn said:

Our genie was not intrusive at all. She would check in with us in the morning, not too early based on our preferences, and see if there was anything we wanted or needed that day that she could take care of for us. If we had a lunch and/or dinner reservation she would stop by the restaurant to say hello and make sure we were fine. You can choose to see them as much or as little as you like. It's all based on your preferences. They do go in their "bottle" after a certain time at night to "recharge"! You will enjoy having one!

I appreciate you taking time to respond again! I have to agree, I believe we would definitely enjoy having a Royal Genie available to us.

19 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

Star Class for sure.  The genie is worth it and then some and the extra money is less than you would spend on any extras.  We are finding this out for our Liberty cruise.  By the time I add a non alcholic drink package, dining, and the mystery dinner I could have booked a Star Class suite.  We were in an A1 on the 8th deck and you will love the view of the aqua theater.  I know you will enjoy your Star Class adventure.  And yes, the genie can do whatever you ask.

Thanks for this. I am trying to figure these things out before I sail, so I appreciate your viewpoint very much.