Princess Trivia Cheating - is this common?

ram1977

On 9/22/2019 at 7:44 PM, rideev said:

We took the same cruise 2 years in a row, a few years back.  The CD told the same jokes, the game shows had the same questions, and the trivia had the same questions.  And this was a year apart.  Sad that it was like this, but we still loved the cruise.  I guess a bad day cruising beats a good day at work anytime.

You could remember trivia questions a year apart? Wow, you have an awesome memory! 

Most CDs have their schtick, and vary little from it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

Um, the first quote you attribute to "Commander" should be "Command Module Pilot", that is, Swigert, not Lovell. 

(What can I say? It's trivia!)

We once had a question, what does 'Zip Code stand for".

I answered Zonal Improvement Plan.  (which I had read somewhere, along with dancing with the one-eyed lady)

A 'gent' on another team marked it wrong because it was not 'Zone Improvement Plan'.

I appealed to the cruise staffer running the event.

This caused Mr. Fastidious to scream a bunch of profanity at me and leave.

I went into the hall to confront him, and he simply ran away.

I simply can not respect anyone who will not get into a fist-fight and be put off at the next port

over the grading of a trivia answer sheet.

11 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

Um, the first quote you attribute to "Commander" should be "Command Module Pilot", that is, Swigert, not Lovell. 

(What can I say? It's trivia!)

Not according to the snippet I read, which has CMP, LMP, CDR and CC abbreviations.

The text I attributed to 'commander' was CDR, not CMP.

055:53:12 CMP
Okay. Stand by.

055:55:19 LMP
Okay, Houston - -

055:55:20 CDR
I believe we've had a problem here.

055:55:28 CC
This is Houston. Say again, please.

055:55:35 CDR
Houston, we've had a problem. We've had a MAIN B BUS UNDERVOLT.

055:55:42 CC
Roger. MAIN B UNDERVOLT.

055:55:58 CC
Okay, stand by, 13. We're looking at it.

The Apollo 13 mission was launched at 2:13 p.m. EST, April 11, 1970 from launch complex 39A at Kennedy Space Center. Apollo 13 Launch The space vehicle crew consisted of James A. Lovell, Jr. commander, John L. Swigert, Jr., command module pilot and Fred W. Haise, Jr. lunar module pilot.

https://airandspace.si.edu/explore-and-learn/topics/apollo/apollo-program/landing-missions/apollo13.cfm

30 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

We once had a question, what does 'Zip Code stand for".

I answered Zonal Improvement Plan.  (which I had read somewhere, along with dancing with the one-eyed lady)

A 'gent' on another team marked it wrong because it was not 'Zone Improvement Plan'.

I appealed to the cruise staffer running the event.

what was the result of the appeal ... and what was the 'prize' at stake ?:classic_rolleyes:

On the Apollo 13, I would advise consulting the Apollo Lunar Flight Journal, which is very authoritative.  As you can see, it is hosted by NASA, who ought to know.

https://history.nasa.gov/afj/ap13fj/08day3-problem.html

055:55:19 Swigert: Okay, Houston...
055:55:19 Lovell: ...Houston...
055:55:20 Swigert: I believe we've had a problem here. [Pause.]
055:55:28 Lousma: This is Houston. Say again, please.
055:55:35 Lovell: Houston, we've had a problem. We've had a Main B Bus Undervolt.
055:55:42 Lousma: Roger. Main B Undervolt. [Long pause.]
055:55:58 Lousma: Okay, stand by, 13. We're looking at it. [Pause.]

Edited by Wehwalt

2 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

On the Apollo 13, I would advise consulting the Apollo Lunar Flight Journal, which is very authoritative.  As you can see, it is hosted by NASA, who ought to know.

https://history.nasa.gov/afj/ap13fj/08day3-problem.html

The conversation I quoted is hosted by Nasa, as well.

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a13/a13trans.html

Ok.  You go.

We just had the question On Crown P - how many ships in the Princess Fleet

We answered 18 but they said 17 because Sky is  not in  the fleet though we believe its been at sea for sea trials

Trivia host claimed it was still in dry dock but that seems not to be correct.

Wouldn't mind if the host wasn't so cocky about it, he is one with an attitude problem which reflects right back at him.

And then last week there was a question about who owns Jaguar car company.

Old answer was Ford, new answer is Tata, but how old was the Trivia question and answer?

Furthest planet from Sun? was it written when Pluto was regarded as a planet?

Longest river has alternated between Nile and Amazon for some years now as extra lengths discovered.

its a minefield

Edited by Griller
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

LOL! Wikipedia? And there's a link to the audio?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_13#Accident

As you're an editor there, it could say anything...

There was a great episode of "30 Rock" where the writers were constantly changing wikipedia

to hack Jenna who was trying to play (I think) Janis Joplin.

That fact that we have an in depth conversation regarding the conversations had on Apollo 13  on this thread speaks volumes as to the importance people attach to trivia. No wonder there are cheats! 

(My comments are meant to be light- hearted, don’t get your knickers in a twist!)

Edited by richsea
Fat fingers typed knockers, not knickers. Didn’t want to be banned
  • Like 2

we played trivia on the regal princess. my boyfriend and i are more music trivia people but when a specific topic comes up we join in for the fun of it. we went to the james bond because my boyfriend is a huge fan. what really pissed me off/annoyed me was that there was a group of people looking up the answers on their phone. and another time during broadway music trivia a man was using his phone to find the answers probably with a music app or listening to them on his phone. and look i dont go to trivia for the prizes or to be the number 1 winner but seriously people its a game. why cheat. it's meant to be fun. it made me feel like what was the point of playing at all if all you have to do to win was use your phone. kind of ruined my experience. just my ten cents. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sailorgrl7392 said:

what really pissed me off/annoyed me was that there was a group of people looking up the answers on their phone. and another time during broadway music trivia a man was using his phone to find the answers probably with a music app or listening to them on his phone.

This is a testimonial to how good the upgraded Internet is on some Princess ships.

With the old Internet on Princess, the trivia would be over before an answer to the first question could be found.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, caribill said:

This is a testimonial to how good the upgraded Internet is on some Princess ships.

With the old Internet on Princess, the trivia would be over before an answer to the first question could be found.

Once, when I was on emerald, a team brought a stack of reference books.

Obviously, very good sports!

The only thing I'm guilty of -- I like to write down the questions (for review during the current game)

If there is a question that my team doesn't know, I can often noodle on it while the game continues,

and think of something in time to add it to the answer sheet.

Also if there is something that requires a calculation.

Edited by pablo222
  • Like 2

I play trivia every Tuesday night at a local pub with a group of friends - no cost to play.  The first prize is a candy bar, if two consecutive games are won, free appetizers, and if a 3rd consecutive game is won, then a free dinner.  It rarely gets past the free candy bar phase, yet people cheat with their cell phones.

I just don't get the cheating - I either know the answer or I don't.  My team sometimes wins and a few times we have been at the bottom of the barrel.  It's not like my life depends on winning.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mek said:

I play trivia every Tuesday night at a local pub with a group of friends - no cost to play.  The first prize is a candy bar, if two consecutive games are won, free appetizers, and if a 3rd consecutive game is won, then a free dinner.  It rarely gets past the free candy bar phase, yet people cheat with their cell phones.

I just don't get the cheating - I either know the answer or I don't.  My team sometimes wins and a few times we have been at the bottom of the barrel.  It's not like my life depends on winning.

I'd take a Milky Way over any magnet or deck of cards if I could even win

On 9/26/2019 at 6:17 AM, pablo222 said:

The only thing I'm guilty of -- I like to write down the questions (for review during the current game)

If there is a question that my team doesn't know, I can often noodle on it while the game continues,

We sometimes do the same.

On 9/26/2019 at 3:17 AM, pablo222 said:

My wife and I like to play trivia often! 

On one Princess cruise we were "interviewed" by a couple to see if we knew enough general trivia to be on their team. To be truthful with you,.. we have a very large cache of Princess trinkets and trash that has been collected as prizes or gifts from Princess that I would love to unload !  We DON'T need anymore!  If you have a better memory than us...  let me buy you a drink and say..  Good on you!!!

It is very obvious when people use additional sources.  If we got the same answer on our own..  who is smarter and who cares??

Edited by dfdub
  • Haha 1

We just got off the Golden after a short 3 day cruise from Vancouver to San Francisco. Corey the CD hosted an awesome Couch Potato Trivia game which covered television shows over the decades. There were 5 questions for each decade, and for each decade he provided a different type of clue (picture, quote, theme song etc), at the end of each 5 question round you took your answers up for marking. In the last round, he gave 3 separate clues, if you were certain you got the right answer with the first clue you would take your answer up for 3 points, 2 points if you got the answer after 2 clues and 1 point after seeing all 3 clues. If you got the answer wrong you could not go up again.

It was the first time I've seen a trivia game like it, and don't think that you could cheat unless of course you had seen/done it before with the exact same shows and clues.

• Like 2

I'm also on the Crown right now. Yesterday there was a trivia quiz repeated from the previous cruise. The host asked if anyone recognized the questions. No one spoke up. Two teams tied with perfect scores. Both had people from the back-to-back cruises on them. One team was closer in the tie-breaker question, so at least one cheating team went back to their cabins empty handed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

I'm also on the Crown right now. Yesterday there was a trivia quiz repeated from the previous cruise. The host asked if anyone recognized the questions. No one spoke up. Two teams tied with perfect scores. Both had people from the back-to-back cruises on them. One team was closer in the tie-breaker question, so at least one cheating team went back to their cabins empty handed. 

Did those two teams play trivia on their first B2B? I guess it might be hard to tell if they really did play that trivia game before,or were just on the B2B and did not play trivia that day the questions were ask.  

Enjoy your cruise.