Dressing for Formal nights.

vinob

7 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

I wonder if by Sept 2020 this will have gone by the wayside? I am in limbo about my Oasis cruise this December.

Dress suggestions are not enforced, so you will see a wide variety of attire.  I would not be concerned about it, wear what you want.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

I wonder if by Sept 2020 this will have gone by the wayside? I am in limbo about my Oasis cruise this December.

Dressing up will never go away- there will always be someone who wants to.

But if you don't, that's just fine.  Don't spend any time worrying about and just do what you want.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies folks,  I'm thankful that the code of formal, semi-formal and smart casual has disappeared, but at the same time we do like to dress up on the formal nights, don't mind what anyone wears, but also don't want to stick out like a sore thumb in tux and long dress.

Since you specifically asked about the Mediterranean cruises with RCCL, I will just give you the experience I had on our June 2019 cruise on Vision. We felt that in general people were a little dressier. On formal night, I would say the breakdown was about 50-60% in tuxes or dark suits, 10-15% in a sport coat (some with/some without tie), and the rest ran the gamut from slightly dressed up to shorts and a t-shirt. The remaining nights, most people were smart casual (but not everyone). We did think our Med cruise "felt" a little dressier than the Caribbean, but no one was really over the top.

• Like 4

People who like to dress formally once in a while should not be scorned.  If I chose to dress in a tux and go to the Windjammer, I'm sure I would be welcomed.  But I would imagine some may look disapprovingly. 

But what really matters is how I feel.  I can tell you that I would feel uncomfortable if, at a formal dinner, I wore a polo shirt and others had a tux or a suit and tie.

There is a time and place for everything.

I get that people want to be comfortable and not pack formal clothing.  I understand.  That's a valid choice.  And I get it that people may want to eat in the main dining room.  One purpose (IMHO) of the formal night is to look around the table and see every one dressed up.  It makes it special. 

Maybe there could be a section of the main dining room for people who don't want to dress.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, MD_Dan said:

People who like to dress formally once in a while should not be scorned.  If I chose to dress in a tux and go to the Windjammer, I'm sure I would be welcomed.  But I would imagine some may look disapprovingly. 

But what really matters is how I feel.  I can tell you that I would feel uncomfortable if, at a formal dinner, I wore a polo shirt and others had a tux or a suit and tie.

I get that people want to be comfortable and not pack formal clothing.  I understand.  That's a valid choice.  And I get it that people may want to eat in the main dining room.  One purpose (IMHO) of the formal night is to look around the table and see every one dressed up.  It makes it special. 

Maybe there could be a section of the main dining room for people who don't want to dress.

I don't feel like there's scorn for the people who want to dress up, the only scorn I typically see are to and from the people who want to enforce an absolute strict formal dress code; everybody in the MDR has to dress super formal; if you don't want to then you can't eat in the MDR on formal nights. That's an attitude I have a problem with because the MDR is part of the cruise fare and there's no equivalent alternative. Then with assigned tables/times there's no way to really have people at one table most nights and then moved to a different dining room/table for formal nights. 

I feel like that's where a modified Dynamic Dining could have been really beneficial. Have a regular dining room and a formal dining room, and let people choose which nights they eat in which one. Something similar to My Time, but where you specify formal or casual. Have the same menu at both. The main problem would be getting the right number of tables in each, but maybe there could be like some removable walls/partitions to somehow change the number of tables in each section on a per night basis.

It’s labeled as suggested attire, it’s not required attire for formal night. I’ve never worn a tux, used to wear a suit and tie and now wear nice slacks and a collared shirt and no one stares or makes comments. I’ve seen people in the windjammer in tuxes and always give them an appreciation nod of my head and smile. OBTW, Royal has started a new program on shorter cruises called “wear your best” nights and eliminated formal night. As others say, your on vacation do as you want within reason.

Edited by Motorman23

2 hours ago, vinob said:

Thanks for all your replies folks,  I'm thankful that the code of formal, semi-formal and smart casual has disappeared, but at the same time we do like to dress up on the formal nights, don't mind what anyone wears, but also don't want to stick out like a sore thumb in tux and long dress.

If that's the only time you and your SO get a chance to dress up in elegant clothes, I think it's a perfectly nice thing to dress up and have some pictures made and enjoy a special night.  After my husband retired from the Marine Corps,  cruises used to be the only time I could get him to dress up nicely even in a suit.   Now that the formality has gone away, he won't even do a suit anymore so it has been years since we have dressed up.  I miss military balls, special occasions where I got to feel like something more than everyday average.   Having even one formal night to dress up used to satisfy that itch to feel special, but now nothing. 
So if it makes you and your SO feel special to dress up and it makes you happy- then dress up and look as elegant as possible. 
My husband is sworn to wear something special when we go on our cruise next year for our 25th anniversary.  He owes me a suit for my being married to him for 25 years. LOL  That's definitely something to celebrate. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, vinob said:

I Folks,

Has can anyone who's been on a recent cruise in the med with RCL let me know whether people dress up  (Tux etc) for the formal nights.  Any info appreciated.

Just got off the Oasis last month. Being a new cruiser, this debate intrigued me so I spent quite a bit of time oberserving in the MDR on formal nights. I can only comment on the MTD dining room but it was a complete mix of clothing.  When we arrived to the dining room, it seemed that it skewed more casual although there were enough formally dressed people that no one would feel out of place.  I had on a heavily beaded cocktail dress and I did not feel part of a large minority.

As the night wore on, it seemed the dress got more and more formal.  By the time we left, the lines waiting to get in appeared 75% formal.  I didn't notice any shorts and most ladies were in some sort of dress with many in long gowns. The men as a whole trended a bit more casual in dress shirts and pants with a smattering of sport coats and even fewer tuxes.

The time may have to do with a port intensive cruise where passengers were getting back later. The earlier times did not have as much time to get ready where as the later dinner times allowed more prep time.

2 hours ago, vinob said:

Be like me, dress up in your long dress and let hubby wear a Tux and don't give a damn what anyone else does or does not do. I love the chance to dress up and I don't give a rats behind what anyone else thinks. If you stick out like a sore thumb who cares. Do what makes you happy, life is too short to worry about what others think. ☺️

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MD_Dan said:

Just how does it make you feel special?  

I had worn a tux on about 50 something cruises from mid 1980’s to a couple of years ago. Now hardly anyone dresses up on rccl and most other lines my guess is under 5 percent wear tux’s , they now allow shorts and T-shirts on formal nights.  

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Just how does it make you feel special?  

Milwaukee,

I would rephrase the question a little ... Why does dressing up for a formal meal make it special?

Maybe "special" is the wrong word.  I don't usually dress for a meal.  I don't usually go on a cruise.  I don't usually go to a wedding.  I don't usually go to a funeral.  I don't usually go to a religious service.  But when I do these things, I dress the part.  As I stated earlier ...  There is a time and place for everything.

So the question becomes, why do we comply with such formal norms?  And I would answer, to signify that these occasions are special.  So "special" is not how I feel (I am a very humble person).  But the occasion is special.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, MD_Dan said:

Milwaukee,

I would rephrase the question a little ... Why does dressing up for a formal meal make it special?

Maybe "special" is the wrong word.  I don't usually dress for a meal.  I don't usually go on a cruise.  I don't usually go to a wedding.  I don't usually go to a funeral.  I don't usually go to a religious service.  But when I do these things, I dress the part.  As I stated earlier ...  There is a time and place for everything.

So the question becomes, why do we comply with such formal norms?  And I would answer, to signify that these occasions are special.  So "special" is not how I feel (I am a very humble person).  But the occasion is special.

I think the times are changing in general. I still dress up for funerals, but that's about it. I needed a tux for my sister's wedding, but when it was time for my own wedding  my husband and I went as far as having ties and suit jackets, but no tuxes. The last couple weddings I went to for friends around my age or younger were very casual dress, with just the bride and groom in slightly fancier garb.

When I first graduated college the general advise was to have a full suit and tie for job interviews. The last two times I interviewed for jobs, at least in my field, anything beyond a polo and khakis was way overkill. One interview I went to in 2015 I wore my suit and tie, and the interviewer actually asked me to take off the suit jacket and tie, and to dress down a bit for the next interview. Only the board of directors ever wore ties, and even then only for extremely important client meetings or press releases. I think our general counsel (lawyer) is the only employee I see regularly in a suit.

I haven't been to church in over a decade, but even when I last went there was already a large segment of the congregation who weren't wearing what I grew up calling "Sunday best", and my family's version of Sunday Best was jeans and polo. Might be different for different denominations/areas, but I've seen a hefty trend towards focusing less on the clothes and more on the experience itself. At a wedding it isn't the clothes that matter, it's the ceremony. At a funeral it's not the clothes but the memories.

Why do we comply with such formal norms? My answer would be because our parents and grandparents did it and it became ingrained. You dress up for a wedding because that's what people expect. As more and more people ask that question (why?) the answer is seen as unnecessary. If the only reason to do something is because of tradition, is it really a tradition worth keeping to? For some people, yes. And that's fine. For some people the answer is no, and that's also fine.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Dress suggestions are not enforced, so you will see a wide variety of attire.  I would not be concerned about it, wear what you want.

Maybe RCCL doesn't enforce the suggestions, but you still need to be careful.  Not just on formal nights, either...

cc fashion police 1.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, George C said:

I had worn a tux on about 50 something cruises from mid 1980’s to a couple of years ago. Now hardly anyone dresses up on rccl and most other lines my guess is under 5 percent wear tux’s , they now allow shorts and T-shirts on formal nights.  

So be it. We are a party of 11 on Allure in 5 weeks time for a B2B. All us guys will be wearing a tux' for the 4 dressy nights and girls will have their best dresses on.

Couldn't give a monkey's if people choose to wear shorts & T shirts on those nights. We're are just there to "party" every night.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, George C said:

I guess you've never cruised out of the UK on RCCL, the vast majority wear Tux or suit and only a very few wear anything less than smart casual.

• Like 2