Man falls on Valor and is critical.

cruisinmeme

Our local news said a 23 year old man fell on deck on early Tuesday morning. The ship was still in the river and he was medivac back to New Orleans. He was on his honeymoon. 

If something had to happen the plus is they had excess to New Orleans hospitals .

prayers for this young man and his bride that probably had to stay behind on the ship.

2 hours ago, mikenbon said:

Hopefully once he fully recovers they will be able to cruise for a belated honeymoon.

Yeah, kinda funny with literally hundreds of people "falling" off of cruise ships every year, and a number of them living to tell their tale, the cruise ships don't learn from them, how they fell, so the "problem" could be solved when future cruise ships are built.  Oh wait, the solution is that cruise ships could stop selling excessive alcohol to their passengers and that would fix the problem?  OK nevermind.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ano said:

Yeah, kinda funny with literally hundreds of people "falling" off of cruise ships every year, and a number of them living to tell their tale, the cruise ships don't learn from them, how they fell, so the "problem" could be solved when future cruise ships are built. It is almost impossible for anyone to accidentally fall off of a ship.  They are usually doing something that they shouldn't be doing like climbing over the rail.  Oh wait, the solution is that cruise ships could stop selling excessive alcohol to their passengers and that would fix the problem?  OK nevermind.

Unfortunately even if the ship was a dry ship, people coming back from excursions can be intoxicated.  We witnessed one where two buddies were basically carrying one guy.  He broke away, turned around and dropped his shorts and mooned the ship.  Hopefully they took him back to his cabin and threw him in his bed.

Another moron ..... If he lives he will blame Carnival for his stupidity saying they over served him. Then he will complain that someone else isn’t paying his medical bills because he oh so wisely chosen not to purchase travel/medical insurance for this cruise ..... Zero responsibility will be taken. 

• Like 7

First of all I am glad he is ok. I am surprised that no one witnessed him falling. Why did his newlywed wife not followed him if he wandered away when they were heading back to the room? That is kinda strange. 

Cruise ships rails are not very tall. However, they are tall enough so that people will not fall over unless they climb up and slipped or someone throw them over. This will be another story to hit the news section which gives Carnival a bad rap.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Another moron ..... If he lives he will blame Carnival for his stupidity saying they over served him. Then he will complain that someone else isn’t paying his medical bills because he oh so wisely chosen not to purchase travel/medical insurance for this cruise ..... Zero responsibility will be taken. 

Unfortunately you are likely correct. 

7 hours ago, ano said:

Yeah, kinda funny with literally hundreds of people "falling" off of cruise ships every year, and a number of them living to tell their tale, the cruise ships don't learn from them, how they fell, so the "problem" could be solved when future cruise ships are built.  Oh wait, the solution is that cruise ships could stop selling excessive alcohol to their passengers and that would fix the problem?  OK nevermind.

Or maybe people just take responsibility for their own actions and not blame cruise lines for allowing drinking.

• Like 9

I'm not going to say I'm not sure who is dumber; the wife (who I'm sure was just as drunk as her husband) who reportedly didn't notice he wasn't with her or the husband drinking himself into oblivion on his Honeymoon night.

I'm not going to say the wife isn't playing with a full deck because she didn't think he was drunk after ten drinks.

Edited by Cushing985
  • Like 4

Refresh my memory, only thing on deck 14 is the Serenity deck.  Right?   So to fall to deck 10 (3 decks BTW) and maybe land on one to the lounger tiers, he would have had to have been down by the slide entrance.  Trying to take the slide down? Got "lucky".

Glad he'll be okay.  But that should be a good lesson to all here who think 15 drinks a day is doable without being tipsy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, asalligo said:

I love this line in the article! 

Amberlee insisted that he didn't appear intoxicated beforehand despite having drank about 10 margaritas over the course of the day

That boy can hold his likker 😆

1 hour ago, buckeyefrank said:

Or maybe people just take responsibility for their own actions and not blame cruise lines for allowing drinking.

It would be interesting to see the correlational between passengers "falling" off of cruise ships, and  ones that purchase "drink packages."  Hmmm, wonder why my local bar doesn't also offer "unlimited drink packages?"  Afterall, drunk people should take responsibility for their drinking.

Cruise ships offer the drink packages because they are very profitable, and the cost to them of passengers falling off their ships is very minimal in comparison. 

29 minutes ago, keywest1 said:

That boy can hold his likker 😆

He ain't no lightweight. Looks like the course of the day was only a few hours as the article says they boarded at 3:30. I would be done and sleeping on the floor after about 5 margaritas in that time period. 

There's a lot in the article that doesn't make sense:  I don't think Serenity bar is open around midnight so not sure why he would be that far up on the ship; the time line doesn't fit; the 16 foot fall vs. 3-4 decks (didn't think Carnival had a numbered deck 13).

For everyone pointing out the 10 drinks, I question the accuracy of that too.  The quote is she "estimated" he had around 10 over the course of the day.  If he had 7 or 8 I could see her rounding up.  Even 10 drinks from boarding around 11 until stopping around midnight is still less than one per hour.  I suspect he was under the influence, but might not have seemed sloppy, fall down drunk to his new bride.

I'm glad it seems he should recover. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ano said:

It would be interesting to see the correlational between passengers "falling" off of cruise ships, and  ones that purchase "drink packages."  Hmmm, wonder why my local bar doesn't also offer "unlimited drink packages?"  Afterall, drunk people should take responsibility for their drinking.

Cruise ships offer the drink packages because they are very profitable, and the cost to them of passengers falling off their ships is very minimal in comparison. 

I agree cruise ships offer drink packages because they are profitable, however; Carnival does not offer an unlimited drink package.  It is capped at 15 a day.  You local bar doesn't offer an unlimited drink package, because you are not a captive audience and don't spend 24 hours a day there like you do on a cruise ship.

At the end of the day, the cruiseline did not make this person drink.  That was his personal choice, so yes, Carnivals 'cost' is zero.

Also, there's no mention that he was staggering drunk.  10 drinks starting around lunchtime through midnight would not necessarily cause drunkeness.  We don't know the particulars in this situation... Maybe he decided he couldn't live with his new wife....  maybe the same with his in laws....  maybe she pushed him over... without witnesses or video, nobody knows.

• Thanks 1