Don’t Install the MedallionClass™ Application Update

MsSoCalCruiser

Unfortunately we had nothing but problems with the medallion on our last cruise a week ago.  I just saw that an update was available and happily updated my MedallionClass application thinking that they finally had a fix. I did the update on both my phone and my iPad.   What a mistake that was!  I am on the phone, waiting for a representative once again because this is all I see!   Just thought that I’d warn you that you may not want to update your application.   If you do update and it works, please let me know.  Ugh, who is working on this stuff?

DED3F0DB-11E9-48EA-8078-46EF1CD727E5.png

722FAFBC-C273-417F-8C75-11F4553845A0.jpeg

22 minutes ago, voljeep said:

wait until after the wildfires end ... no need to do anything until about a month out from your cruise ... even if then

just fill out the personalizer as usual ... then you're at least covered ...

no worries, mon

My cruise is one week away 😊.  They just released the update today and I’m just trying to help others.  I really need the find your friends and your way around the ship app because I kept getting lost 😂😂😂

I'm getting the same response , whereas it worked before the update just fine. This just gives me more reason not to use it. If I'm having this many problems now what will I encounter on the ship? I'm not trying to spend my vacation dealing with tech issues.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I wouldn't say don't download it,

I did an update 3 weeks ago.

I had that "no internet" show a couple of times.

I just kept trying and it finally worked.

Never called Princess.

Just checked again and.....

app is still up to date.

I’m still getting the same message.  This update became available just today.  I was told that there is a glitch with the update and that they are working on it.   I really need it to work because for some reason I was directionally challenged on the Royal Princess last week and  I kept losing my friends. They would eventually find me and tell me that they were worried about me because I didn’t show up… I just couldn’t find them 😂.  One week until the Royal Princess!!!  I love that beautiful ship 😊

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

I'm getting the same response , whereas it worked before the update just fine. This just gives me more reason not to use it. If I'm having this many problems now what will I encounter on the ship? I'm not trying to spend my vacation dealing with tech issues.

Last week on the Royal the only thing that would work for me was the Journey View portion of the application.  The Ocean Now and Ocean Compass parts of the application would  constantly crash and close. I was really looking forward to ordering drinks with the application. At one point I was sitting in the Piazza and the gentleman that was waiting on me had me push the button again to order a drink ( I had pushed it 10 minutes earlier with no response) and then he ran back to the bar to see if it worked.  He came back and said it’s not showing up and had me do it again. After three tries I just looked at him laughing and said may I please have a “strawberries on fire”.  He was busting up.  As hard as it is on us  can you just imagine how rough it is for them?   Also,  I really needed the compass, LOL  😂😂😂

We don't sail until April12, 2020, on Regal.  I've been in IT since 1979 and viewed the Medallion concept with a jaundiced eye.  One very disturbing thing I've read is that the cabin door will open several yards away.  Most other complaints seem to be nuisances but that one is a major security issue for me.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

One very disturbing thing I've read is that the cabin door will open several yards away.

I said this exact thing to my friends.  When you walk away keep an eye on that screen and it does not lock for quite awhile.  Nothing to stop anyone for stepping into your cabin.  We just started watching for it to lock.

• Like 1

I'm on the Regal in 2 weeks and staying for 15 days.  I have no interest in this app or the Medallion...do I really need it?  Has it taken the place of a cruise card? I thought they said a couple years ago that people could have a cruise card if they didn't want the Medallion?

16 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I use auto updates on my iphone.  I have been using the medallion class app today; and just checked it again 8pm.  no issues at all

I just tried again and I’m still getting the same message.  I have an iPhone 6; I wonder if only certain phones are having the problem? 

48 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I'm on the Regal in 2 weeks and staying for 15 days.  I have no interest in this app or the Medallion...do I really need it?  Has it taken the place of a cruise card? I thought they said a couple years ago that people could have a cruise card if they didn't want the Medallion?

You can probably still get the card but I’m not sure. All I know is that if it works it’s pretty darn awesome. 

I posted some of our own experience when we recently cruised on the CB, downloaded all the apps, and gave it all a try.  After 16 days on a completely Medallionized vessel our reaction was, "why?"  I look at my phone where I have Ocean Now, Ocean Compass and Ocean Ready and say, "why?"  I am enough of a techie to have tried out their system, used many of the bells and whistles (when they worked) and I still say, "why."   So in a few days we are leaving for an Emerald Princess cruise which is a vessel yet to be Medallionized.   And I say, "Hooray!"  Just imagine, no silly Medallion, no issues with my door unlocking, etc.  Will we miss the Medallion and all the silly apps?  Nope. 

We gave it a try and were totally unimpressed.  So were most of the crew who kept asking for our cabin # because their remote readers did not properly function or had dead batteries.  Everything functioned perfectly at one bar (because the bar tender had specifically registered us) and we actually could sit at the bar and see our picture come up on one of the bar tender's monitors.  Quite a few folks we met on our CB cruise complained that they had been charged for things they did not purchase and had to spend time waiting at Guest Relations to get faux charges removed.  Perhaps someday, all this OM stuff will pay off and help Princess figure out how to better market to each cruiser (yes, this is all designed so they can encourage you to spend more money onboard).  Meanwhile, thank goodness we are on a vessel without this garbage system.

Hank

P.S.  Bring back the old paper coffee cards!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It was fine this morning but out now. I don't embark until Monday so hope it's up by then 

As to unlocking the cabin door: when I was on the Caribbean Princess in March I just kept the medallion in my pocket. It did not unlock the door until I was quite close. A few times I had to remove it to get it to work. Weird 

9 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I wouldn't say don't download it,

I did an update 3 weeks ago.

I had that "no internet" show a couple of times.

I just kept trying and it finally worked.

Never called Princess.

Just checked again and.....

app is still up to date.

That’s been my experience and my MC app is again showing the correct “Off-Ship” (yellow) and not “Offline” (red) without having to do anything.  Such issues come & go and seem to be worse on the weekends when the might be working on the MedallionClass system.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We gave it a try and were totally unimpressed.  So were most of the crew who kept asking for our cabin # because their remote readers did not properly function or had dead batteries.  Everything functioned perfectly at one bar (because the bar tender had specifically registered us) and we actually could sit at the bar and see our picture come up on one of the bar tender's monitors.  Quite a few folks we met on our CB cruise complained that they had been charged for things they did not purchase and had to spend time waiting at Guest Relations to get faux charges removed.  Perhaps someday, all this OM stuff will pay off and help Princess figure out how to better market to each cruiser (yes, this is all designed so they can encourage you to spend more money onboard).  Meanwhile, thank goodness we are on a vessel without this garbage system.

From the viewpoint of corporate management:

""we are beginning to see a lift in ticket price from our MedallionClass as we ramp up our marketing efforts in that trade and as we continue to expand Medallion throughout the Princess fleet."

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

That’s been my experience and my MC app is again showing the correct “Off-Ship” (yellow) and not “Offline” (red) without having to do anything.  Such issues come & go and seem to be worse on the weekends when the might be working on the MedallionClass system.

Astro Flyer, I am also seeing the “Off Ship” but when I click on “Ocean Ready” I  keep  seeing this... Maybe tomorrow.  F41C555A-8E2D-40DB-B629-D388CF35B5FF.thumb.jpeg.47115ba2054088fcc4c9350e7e87a452.jpeg