Disembarkation port changed from Fort Lauderdale to Miami

Diamond Dandy

On our upcoming Silhouette cruise 11/22 to 12/1, the disembarkation port has been changed. Some type of conflict in Port Everglades.

Originally, making a 11:20 flight from FLL would not have been a problem. Now, however, we are concerned:

Celebrity has promised transport to FLL, but is it realistic to expect to make it in time?

Uber/Lyft is a possibility, but how easy is this to arrange considering the indefinite time for getting off the ship. Comments?

Do you know of any other private transportation options with which you have had satisfactory experience?

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I did wade through the first 20 pages on the board but did not find a mention of this.

I have done uber from the Port of Miami before and it was easy.  When you walk out, the taxi line is kind of over to the left and the private pick up area is right in front of you.  Once I was standing there I went into the app and there were a number of drivers in the area, they came right to that pick up area.  I believe the trip between Miami and Fort Lauderdale was around 45 minutes.

People make that journey all the time so it's not impossible.  The advice to leave the ship as early as possible is good.  I wouldn't wait around for a shared shuttle unless you can get a guaranteed departure time.  

Lots of advice can also be found on the Florida Departures board

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

Edited by bEwAbG

1 hour ago, Diamond Dandy said:

Originally, making a 11:20 flight from FLL would not have been a problem. Now, however, we are concerned:

Celebrity has promised transport to FLL, but is it realistic to expect to make it in time?

I have to go Port Everglades to MIA after my cruise in Feb (cheaper airfare in and out of MIA). I asked my TA about Celebrity transportation (and am doing that), and the flight from MIA had to be departing no earlier than 12:30pm - so I would be surprised if their transportation option would work going the reverse.

There were 2 very long threads ( possibly combined)  on this same subject  of port changes in Fla...about a month ago  that had very specific and helpful suggestions about how to handle this...pvt limo/ ride companies etc

I tried using the cruise critic  search feature but could not come up with a link...Searching not as easy as in the past.    If you or someone  good at searching  can find these threads you would get some  good ideas

Good luck!

PS  GLAD SOMEONE POSTED THE LINK!

Edited by hcat

We disembarked from Miami at 7:30, doing ,  and had pre-ordered a car service for 8:00 am because we didn’t know how long walk off would take. Even on a Monday with bad work traffic we were in Fort Lauderdale by 9:20.   Also, they called walkoff at 7:15, but we stalled and waited until 7:30 to stroll off the ship.  

BTW, the walkoff line was horrid, but it moved very quickly.  within 10 minutes the line had cleared .. 

we had prearranged a ride with Larry’s Limo, and the driver pulled to the curb promptly at 7:55 am.  If I were you I would at least Uber or arrange a private ride to make it there more quickly.  Also, we were able to breeze by a lot of traffic using an express lane.   

We used a limo service out of Boca (easy to find via google) earlier this year.  Great service, gave them the ship info and approximate time we'd be out, communicated with them while we were getting luggage and he pulled up within 5 minutes of us standing outside.  Several folks were waiting for Uber or Lyft for much longer and with the premium fees they were charging our Escalade wasn't much more, but the peace of mind knowing we had a firm reservation was worth the extra few dollars.  Made it from luggage claim to FLL in just under an hour I think.

I would walk off usually you can get off by 7:30 and through customs by 8:15.  Take a Uber or lift but I think there is also some shuttle services.  I would not wait on Celebrity.   Should be to FLL before 9:30 no problem.