Identification for boarding

garyh9900

So we have made it to Port Canaveral to board the Elation for our cruise tomorrow.  This morning we discovered that I have lost my drivers license.  I have my birth certificate still.  I called carnival and they said I need a government issued photo ID. So my question is what do they consider to be a government issued photo ID? I have my concealed carry license issued by the state of Kentucky with my picture on it. I also have my ID card for my firefighter/paramedic certification license issued by the state with my picture on it as well.  Does anyone have any experience with not having a drivers license?

The website doesn't specify what they consider a government issued photo ID. I think either thing you mentioned would work but would call Carnival to check. 

Photo Identification

A non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver's License (a temporary Driver's License with photo is acceptable)
  • Driver's Permit
  • School/Student I.D. (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)
  • Government-issued identification card including a U.S. Military I.D. with photo (city/state/federal)
  • Government-issued Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - for photo identification use only

17 minutes ago, garyh9900 said:

So we have made it to Port Canaveral to board the Elation for our cruise tomorrow.  This morning we discovered that I have lost my drivers license.  I have my birth certificate still.  I called carnival and they said I need a government issued photo ID. So my question is what do they consider to be a government issued photo ID? I have my concealed carry license issued by the state of Kentucky with my picture on it. I also have my ID card for my firefighter/paramedic certification license issued by the state with my picture on it as well.  Does anyone have any experience with not having a drivers license?

You lost your license between the airport and the hotel?

26 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

You lost your license between the airport and the hotel?

It can happen. Most likely it was lost at the airport screening area. Or, somewhere near the "reassembly point" where you feel rushed to get your belongings next to you while dressing.

• Like 1

Obviously not for this situation, but I have had to show multiple 'government picture IDs' for regulatory stuff before, and have used my Concealed Carry which has a picture in my state also, and it has always been accepted. 

Silly question....but did you ask them?

I would get on the phone NOW and call Carnival and ask them specifically and get the name of the person who says your concealed carry i.d. would be accepted.  Not that the posts here aren't accurate BUT this is going to determine whether or not you board the ship tomorrow.  Get the answer straight from Carnival today, please!!!!   You don't want to watch everyone sail off without you......

Edited by Host Carolyn
  • Like 1

So I called customer service, and they just state a government issue photo ID, but wouldn’t say that any of my ID’s would or would not work.  So we went to the cruise terminal where they were checking in people for Liberty, after a few radio calls a guest services supervisor comes and looks at my ID’s and says “it shouldn’t be a problem”.  So she didn’t say it won’t be a problem, just that it shouldn’t be.  But she is working the check in for the elation tomorrow, and I told her if I have any problems I am going to have whomever call her.  

• Like 1

Ya know, it just dawned on me.  The OP is using a BC and DL (or other suitable picture ID).

Do they still allow that?  I thought there was a cutoff date a few years ago and pax needed a PP or PP-Card.

It's one of the reasons I renewed our PP and PP Cards last month (great turnaround, three weeks!).  Even though they didn't expire until two months after our scheduled return, I renewed because of the warnings about some destinations not allowing a visa unless 6 months validity remained.

Just curious.

14 hours ago, DryCreek said:

Ya know, it just dawned on me.  The OP is using a BC and DL (or other suitable picture ID).

Do they still allow that?  I thought there was a cutoff date a few years ago and pax needed a PP or PP-Card.

It's one of the reasons I renewed our PP and PP Cards last month (great turnaround, three weeks!).  Even though they didn't expire until two months after our scheduled return, I renewed because of the warnings about some destinations not allowing a visa unless 6 months validity remained.

Just curious.

passports are not mandatory for a closed end cruise

21 hours ago, DryCreek said:

I thought there was a cutoff date a few years ago and pax needed a PP or PP-Card.

Just curious.

You won't be able to FLY  without a passport/card OR Real ID drivers license next year.  Nothing yet for closed loop cruises requiring a passport book. 

Also since you are only IN TRANSIT when cruising and not going through an island's immigration there is no need to worry about whether you have enough  days left of validity on your passport for whatever country you are visiting,  Case in point .... you don't even need a passport for closed loop cruises so that expiration is a totally moot point. 

Edited by Sauer-kraut

14 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

You won't be able to FLY  without a passport/card OR Real ID drivers license next year.  Nothing yet for closed loop cruises requiring a passport book. 

Also since you are only IN TRANSIT when cruising and not going through an island's immigration there is no need to worry about whether you have enough  days left of validity on your passport for whatever country you are visiting,  Case in point .... you don't even need a passport for closed loop cruises so that expiration is a totally moot point. 

That's good to know - and good news for the cruise lines operating out of the US.

I knew about the Real ID issue (Texas has the "gold star"), but for some reason I thought that they were going to sunset the BC/ID allowance for cruises starting out in the US.  I wonder if I was thinking about non-closed loop cruises, such as those going to/from Alaska that start out in Vancouver BC and end up back in Seattle?.  We were looking at booking an Alaskan cruise a couple of years ago.

2 minutes ago, stellarose said:

so for clarification. my son needs his drivers' license and passport.  hubby and I as well- DL and passport. 16 year old daughter. school ID and passport. 

All they need is the passport unless they don't want to take them ashore in port, then they need a photo ID to re-enter the port area in port.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stellarose said:

so for clarification. my son needs his drivers' license and passport.  hubby and I as well- DL and passport. 16 year old daughter. school ID and passport. 

School ID must be from public school, not private  BUT you need nothing other than a passport to cruise.  The other photo id is advisable to carry off the ship.

5 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

So many people resist getting a passport.

3 hours ago, coevan said:

because of the money, no other logical reason.

Money does play into it, since people don't like to spend money that they don't need to spend. When we started cruising it would have cost $850 for passports and for a 4 day cruise it just didn't seem like a good expenditure at all. We did the research and decided to wait to get our passports for when we could actually use them to travel internationally by air, which happened 6 years after we started cruising.

• Like 1